ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Askel 08-11-2008 12:07 AM

Size 46 Pearl Izumis usually work best.

After playing around with a set of SPD pedals and a pair of my MTB shoes, I've determined I'm just a toe clips kind of guy when it comes to road riding. :dunno

That was my one competitive ride on the road bike, and it was only 20 miles and immediately follwed by a 5 mile run. I totally rocked that transition. :D

Next year I'm thinking of giving some road racing a try and might switch to a proper road clipless system for that.

Had myself a bit of a religious expereince out on the Ore To Shore. I think I just became one of those weirdo single speed guys. Read my long winded account here: http://www.moronacity.com/Red_Jacket....php?f=8&t=188

Gummee! 08-11-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Size 46 Pearl Izumis usually work best.

After playing around with a set of SPD pedals and a pair of my MTB shoes, I've determined I'm just a toe clips kind of guy when it comes to road riding. :dunno

That was my one competitive ride on the road bike, and it was only 20 miles and immediately follwed by a 5 mile run. I totally rocked that transition. :D

Next year I'm thinking of giving some road racing a try and might switch to a proper road clipless system for that.

Had myself a bit of a religious expereince out on the Ore To Shore. I think I just became one of those weirdo single speed guys. Read my long winded account here: http://www.moronacity.com/Red_Jacket....php?f=8&t=188

You really do need to give road pedals and shoes a go. Mo bettah than SPDs. :nod (or ATACs, or...) Ask me how I know!

I was thinkin iffen yer feets was smaller, I'd give ya a pair or two of Nike Poggios, but... You don't wear a 43. :nah

I have two pair of semi-used Poggios at the storage unit in Phx if someone wants em. Hafta wait till fall/winter to get em tho. We're not planning on being back in that area till Nov or so. Speaking of which... Casa Gummee! is prolly gonna be in Tucson for the winter. Any of y'all that wanna do a 'spring training camp' next 'spring' are more'n welcome to crash at my place. May not be the Ritz, but there'll be MC and bicycle tools, etc.

M

yater 08-11-2008 07:17 PM

I don't know if anyone keeps up with the Leadville 100 mtb race but Lance Armstrong showed up this year to challenge 5 time defending champion Dave Wiens. They broke Wiens' previous record by 13 minutes and gapped 3rd place by 30+ minutes.

Video here
http://www.superhumanmag.com/content/view/763/92/

Howler 08-11-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater
I don't know if anyone keeps up with the Leadville 100 mtb race but Lance Armstrong showed up this year to challenge 5 time defending champion Dave Wiens. They broke Wiens' previous record by 13 minutes and gapped 3rd place by 30+ minutes.

Video here
http://www.superhumanmag.com/content/view/763/92/

That was pretty cool, thanks for posting. Strangely enough I think that was the first mountain bike race I've ever seen.

yater 08-11-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howler
That was pretty cool, thanks for posting. Strangely enough I think that was the first mountain bike race I've ever seen.

That's not exactly a mountain bike race. There's no singletrack on the 100 mile Leadville course.

This is more like a cross country race:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CQm5QEQQeq4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CQm5QEQQeq4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

legion 08-12-2008 12:35 AM

Got a question...

I know very little about road racing but have a wife that likes to compete in same. That and those "mini-tri's" or whatever they're called. The thing I don't understand is that she's really fit and roars up the mountains. When it comes time to go down the other side though she peddles full tilt all the way but the <STRIKE>fat broads</STRIKE> more swimmer body type women that she passes while going up the hills... pass her on the downhill stretches.

They're both peddling hard. Can the additional weight mean that much heading downhill? If they're both on their top gear and hauling ass does the weight even play a role?

samuelshoun 08-12-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legion

They're both peddling hard. Can the additional weight mean that much heading downhill? If they're both on their top gear and hauling ass does the weight even play a role?

yeah it does... aerodynamics is everything in cycling. as a person's weight increases, their frontal surface area increases, but not proportionately. like i might be 1.5x another rider's weight, but only 1.2x his frontal surface area. so while gravity accelerates us equally, wind resistance affects him more (it pushes his lighter weight backward easier than my heavier weight).

unfortunately for the heavier rider, gravity switches sides and works for the lighter rider when the road turns upward. the slower speed means wind resistance is less a factor.

i think this is my first post here, hey everyone :wave

Gummee! 08-12-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelshoun
yeah it does... aerodynamics is everything in cycling. as a person's weight increases, their frontal surface area increases, but not proportionately. like i might be 1.5x another rider's weight, but only 1.2x his frontal surface area. so while gravity accelerates us equally, wind resistance affects him more (it pushes his lighter weight backward easier than my heavier weight).

unfortunately for the heavier rider, gravity switches sides and works for the lighter rider when the road turns upward. the slower speed means wind resistance is less a factor.

i think this is my first post here, hey everyone :wave

Climbing is all about power-to-weight ratio. Descending and power on the flats is all about max wattage vs. frontal area.

I had a buddy I was ridin with in Sandy Eggo. Bastard maybe weighed 130 on a wet day. I'm usually runnin 170-175 when I'm in what I call racing shape this late in my career. I could pull all day at 20mph+, but the minute the road went up, ZOOM there went my buddy. The power I can put down to overcome air resistance isn't nearly what I need to climb as fast as him. I did a comparison at www.analyticcycling.com one day and realized that for our weights, we'd be over a km apart at the top of the hill if we both put down the same wattage. I'd hafta ride more'n double his wattage up the hill (yeah, right :rolleyes) to get up it as fast as him.

I'm usually the SOB that falls the fastest. 5'8" and appx 195# at the moment means little surface area and lots of weight. :cry Stick Me is giving me a run for my money... In fact, she may be a little quicker down the hill. :patch

Hope the long-winded explanation helps.

M

RichBeBe 08-12-2008 10:13 AM

Man the brakes on my Bianchi Axis suck ass. I need to try and play with them or maybe it is just a case of brifters and cantilevers.
I rode for about an hour and half this morning and hit some mountain bike trails for the first time on a CX bike. I suck and did take a fall. I need to work on hand positions and then figuring out body position. But the brakes really held me back a bunch, they have almost no stopping power.
I was curious if it was a function of cantilevers or something else so when i came home I took my mountain bike out. It has canti fronts and they work so much better than the brakes on the Bianchi.
I am going DC for a conference this weekend and taking the bus and my bicycle, since I hate riding my motorcycle up and down 95. I bought some fenders and put them on my Trek hybrid and took it to the store holy shit are the brakes on that bike amazing. It is weird how the lower down the quality scale I go the better the brakes get.
I will so some research on setting them up, but besides the obvious anyone have any idea how to make canti's and brifters work better?

TEXASYETI 08-12-2008 10:26 AM

New Yeti Video Offering

I am not affiliated but just appreciate the quality of these little productions. Great shots of some great riding!!!!!!!

http://yeticycles.com/#/videovault/F...008WC5Bromont/

Makes me wonder about getting a downhill rig and trying to compete in masters class - oh wait, I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area!

yater 08-12-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legion
Got a question...

I know very little about road racing but have a wife that likes to compete in same. That and those "mini-tri's" or whatever they're called. The thing I don't understand is that she's really fit and roars up the mountains. When it comes time to go down the other side though she peddles full tilt all the way but the <STRIKE>fat broads</STRIKE> more swimmer body type women that she passes while going up the hills... pass her on the downhill stretches.

I weigh 132 lbs when I'm racing. I can kill it with the best of them on the climbs but on those open road downhills, I can't keep up with the 180lb guys when I'm topped out in the big ring....and they're tucked and coasting.

markamazing 08-12-2008 11:35 AM

easy fix for getting dropped on descents..

if drafting is allow'd..
When someone Larger comes by jump hard to gain thier draft and "sit on"
Use them.. (If they have solid skills or ride predictably)
If they cannot hold a line or are "a hazard" to themselves and anyone near get away and stay away.
my 2 cents..

sometimes it's good to "work" with someone in order to put time into the field and sort out the finish closer to the line.

(sooo many variables... god, racing is fun)

Oznerol 08-12-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I will so some research on setting them up, but besides the obvious anyone have any idea how to make canti's and brifters work better?

Are you riding on the hoods or in the drops? When I'm riding on the hoods, I find I don't have the leverage to really bear down on the brake levers, so the cantis on my Volpe seem pretty weak. When I'm in the drops, with the tips of the levers under my fingers, they've got plenty of power and modulation.

Askel 08-12-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe

Gummee had some good tips in a post a few pages back. That and new brakes pads have made me pretty happy with my canti setup.

RichBeBe 08-12-2008 02:40 PM

Thanks for the advice
Askel: I have tried from the hoods, from the drops and I have pussy levers (as my friend calls them) on top and they do not give me enoughtleverage.
Oznerol: Thanks for the tip I went back and found it and went to the Park page. Learned a few things I had never learned or forgotten.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:10 AM.