ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Javarilla 08-18-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nessuno
Squatting will help, but time sprinting off the saddle UPHILL will also do wonders.

+1. I can squat twice my body weight.

Doing lots of hillwork clipped onto a fixie is what helps me climb.

skwidd 08-18-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasa
I'm going to try doing hill repeats, doing exactly that. I need to get where I can spend some serious time out of the saddle for climbs. If there's one thing we have here, it's hills, some of them really long and really steep.

We'll see how it goes. I figure if I can continue to train on my mountain bike, riding a real road bike should feel like I've got a rocket strapped to my ass. :lol3

The difference on the road with a true road bike is amazing, more cardio and less physical impact for me for sure.

Where you shopping at over there?

kbasa 08-18-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwidd
The difference on the road with a true road bike is amazing, more cardio and less physical impact for me for sure.

Where you shopping at over there?

Mike's Bikes.

There's also Summit, down in San Rafael, but I've had good experiences with Mike's and they've been very indulgent in answering my endless questions. :lol3

skwidd 08-18-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasa
Mike's Bikes.

There's also Summit, down in San Rafael, but I've had good experiences with Mike's and they've been very indulgent in answering my endless questions. :lol3

They have been pretty helpful in the past with MTB stuff when we used to ride more over your way.
Ride as many as you can, and not just around the block.


I visualize Mr. kbasa on a late 90's steel DeRosa for some reason.

Askel 08-18-2008 10:26 AM

This is what helps me climb.

At the top of this hill.....
http://www.feep.org/gallery/albums/v...0168.sized.jpg

...was this:

http://www.feep.org/gallery/albums/v...0164.sized.jpg


A couple more of those cinnamon rolls gave me a little extra oomph going back down too. :lol3

cornercarver 08-18-2008 11:28 AM

I had 3 bikes stolen from my house while I had the dogs at the dog beach yesterday. I'd post a rant, but I just don't have the energy. My road bike, my roommate's commuter, and a fixie. Somewhat annoyingly, I had just put brand new tires on both wheels of the road bike, completely re-cabled it, re-taped the bars, and it had my $300 nite rider tri-newt light, a $90 mini pump, and my favourite folding tool.

Fucking worthless bike thieves.

Javarilla 08-18-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
This is what helps me climb.

A couple more of those cinnamon rolls gave me a little extra oomph going back down too. :lol3

Yo dude - I saw earlier in the thread that you cyclocross...

You like that shit? I'm looking at the websites thinking that might be a swell way to spend the rainy season up here!

Zodiac 08-18-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornercarver
I had 3 bikes stolen from my house while I had the dogs at the dog beach yesterday. I'd post a rant, but I just don't have the energy. My road bike, my roommate's commuter, and a fixie. Somewhat annoyingly, I had just put brand new tires on both wheels of the road bike, completely re-cabled it, re-taped the bars, and it had my $300 nite rider tri-newt light, a $90 mini pump, and my favourite folding tool.

Fucking worthless bike thieves.

may the thieves die a horribly painful and young death.

RichBeBe 08-18-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
may the thieves die a horribly painful, slow and young death.

Fixed

Askel 08-18-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
Yo dude - I saw earlier in the thread that you cyclocross...

You like that shit? I'm looking at the websites thinking that might be a swell way to spend the rainy season up here!


If you've got a suitable bike kicking around, give it a try at least. Most races will let you enter on a mountain bike. And they're usually cheap. Entry fee at our races is only $5 for the day, race as many classes as you dare.

I'll be honest, the racing is some of the most physically demanding stuff you can possibly do on a bicycle. Good news: It's usually over pretty quick.

Extra good news: Our local cyclocross races are usually a heck of a party as well. :freaky

Funny story: Back when I was in fifth grade, when mountain bikes were kind of new, or at least fairly new to the folks in Grand Rapids, MI- I bet my folks $200 that I could go a year without watching TV.

Well I won and got myself a Schwinn "Maximizer" MTB. Sadly, this was pre-internet days, and my only exposure to MTB racing was what I now assume to be a horribly miscaptioned photo of a cyclocross race. So for years, I labored under the assumption that MTB racing was actually a slog through the mud, jump off and run a lot sort of thing...

I guess I've been doing cyclocross for a long time. :D

skibum69 08-18-2008 06:46 PM

dude-sorry to hear about your loss, bee there too and I agree that all bike thieves should suffer corporal punishment. I'll bring my bat!

Javarilla 08-18-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
If you've got a suitable bike kicking around, give it a try at least. Most races will let you enter on a mountain bike. And they're usually cheap. Entry fee at our races is only $5 for the day, race as many classes as you dare.

I'll be honest, the racing is some of the most physically demanding stuff you can possibly do on a bicycle. Good news: It's usually over pretty quick.

Extra good news: Our local cyclocross races are usually a heck of a party as well. :freaky

Funny story: Back when I was in fifth grade, when mountain bikes were kind of new, or at least fairly new to the folks in Grand Rapids, MI- I bet my folks $200 that I could go a year without watching TV.

Well I won and got myself a Schwinn "Maximizer" MTB. Sadly, this was pre-internet days, and my only exposure to MTB racing was what I now assume to be a horribly miscaptioned photo of a cyclocross race. So for years, I labored under the assumption that MTB racing was actually a slog through the mud, jump off and run a lot sort of thing...

I guess I've been doing cyclocross for a long time. :D

Cool. I'm old and a Clydesdale!

Those two convenient excuses make losing and (the decreasing possibility of) winning much more fun.

I hear it's superb for bike handling skills - any truth in that?

skibum69 08-18-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Cool. I'm old and a Clydesdale!

Those two convenient excuses make losing and (the decreasing possibility of) winning much more fun
funny, I tried to get up to 200 to race one event that had a Clydesdale class-couldn't get over 195 that summer no matter how much I ate and drank.:lift

Those days I was racing XC on a 40lb Intense Uzzi SLX-people at the start line would ask me why I was riding it and my reply was: "to overcome the fear of winning"
They always looked at me funny:poser

kbasa 08-18-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornercarver
I had 3 bikes stolen from my house while I had the dogs at the dog beach yesterday. I'd post a rant, but I just don't have the energy. My road bike, my roommate's commuter, and a fixie. Somewhat annoyingly, I had just put brand new tires on both wheels of the road bike, completely re-cabled it, re-taped the bars, and it had my $300 nite rider tri-newt light, a $90 mini pump, and my favourite folding tool.

Fucking worthless bike thieves.

Fucking scum.

:flip

cornercarver 08-18-2008 08:37 PM

http://www.midnightridazz.com/images...1219078972.jpg

http://www.midnightridazz.com/images...1219079015.jpg


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014