ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Oznerol 09-06-2008 07:34 PM

NEMBAfest
 
I went down to Wompatuck state park on the south shore today to pre-ride the course for the race I'm planning to do tomorrow, and to check out NEMBAfest.

Thanks to the first tendrils of Tropical Storm Hanna everything was damp and muddy. I hate mud and wet roots. The course has some pretty nasty rock gardens in the first section; I don't handle that stuff too well when it's dry, and with the wet conditions today, I was hiking a lot. The middle and later parts of the course are a lot smoother. I have no idea how competitive I'll be tomorrow (my only real goal for now is to finish). My plan is to be super-conservative on the technical stuff and hike anything I'm not confident about, and hope that I've got enough fitness to make up time on the later sections. (Assuming the race isn't cancelled; It's pouring now, but expected to stop by the morning.)

After the pre-ride I wandered around the festival, ate some BBQ, and watched the start of a short-track race. It looked a lot like cyclocross, minus the barriers and with more singletrack; A lot of the racers were on 'cross bikes. The festival was pretty neat. They had a "mountain bike olympics" with oddball competitions like a bicycle log-pull and a slow race and a "Huffy toss". Turnout seemed kinda low due to the uncertain weather. There were bikes to demo, but I skipped that for fear I'd accidentally buy another one.

kv 09-06-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
There were bikes to demo, but I skipped that for fear I'd accidentally buy another one.

I know what you mean... :augie

http://rowery.onet.pl/_i/sprzet/rowery/600/110.jpg

RichBeBe 09-07-2008 12:54 PM

Riding a CX bike is tiring. I rode my bike to some local trails which is about six miles from here. Did a bunch of laps around all their courses. Started out on the easy, then medium, then a few of the harder ones. I rode home and I was shot.
A few observations:
The faster you ride the easier it is (just like mountain bikes, dirt bikes, etc.)
The faster you ride the rougher the ride is.
I'll need to grow a pair to ride down rocky, rooted drops on the hoods.
People are shocked when you pass them on "a ten speed", a "road
bike", "a track bike" and always comment.
I need to work on some strength to get used to the double versus triple ring.
Can't wait to do it again :D

Gummee! 09-07-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Riding a CX bike is tiring. I rode my bike to some local trails which is about six miles from here. Did a bunch of laps around all their courses. Started out on the easy, then medium, then a few of the harder ones. I rode home and I was shot.
A few observations:
The faster you ride the easier it is (just like mountain bikes, dirt bikes, etc.)
The faster you ride the rougher the ride is.
I'll need to grow a pair to ride down rocky, rooted drops on the hoods.
People are shocked when you pass them on "a ten speed", a "road
bike", "a track bike" and always comment.
I need to work on some strength to get used to the double versus triple ring.
Can't wait to do it again :D

In order:
yup. :nod Hit the tops of the obstacles, not the bottoms when yer going quicker

Well, sorta. Can be. You need to re-learn to float over the bike on the rough stuff cause you don't have suspension any more.

In-line levers to start with? I don't have any, but I hear they help for former mtn bikers. :dunno I've pretty much been a roadie since my mtn bike got stolen way back in college.

Fun ain't it? You rode THAT where?!

Smaller chainrings and bigger cassettes are a plus. I inherited a 27t cassette for when I go S10 in the back on my cross bike. (having to keep two different sets of cassettes/wheels around sucks eggs! I like to be able to swap back and forth at will. :nod Since I have 5 pairs of wheels for 2 bikes, its kinda important!) Oh, and if yer grinding, it may be faster to get off and run. That's what cross is all about. The fastest means of traversing an obstacle: ride OR run. Mo bettah workout!

:D

:ricky

M

RichBeBe 09-07-2008 07:46 PM

Cocksucking mother fucker!!! I wrote a long reply and accidently closed the tab before sending it.
So yes Gummee, I do need to learn to float and use my body more as a suspension. Though riding the pump track helped a bit. The problem was the mud since we had some light drizzle yesterday:wink:
I do have the inline brake levers, had the shop put them on. That said I want to transition to not using them and doing it right.
A second set of road wheels would be nice though the CX tires are nice for NYC streets. The absorb a lot of the bumps and craps.
My bike has pretty easy gearing 34/50 and 11-32 so it is just a matter of building strength and yeah learning to jump off and run. I need to ride with a few CX riders to absorb some tips and ideas.

Gummee! 09-07-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Cocksucking mother fucker!!! I wrote a long reply and accidently closed the tab before sending it.
So yes Gummee, I do need to learn to float and use my body more as a suspension. Though riding the pump track helped a bit. The problem was the mud since we had some light drizzle yesterday:wink:
I do have the inline brake levers, had the shop put them on. That said I want to transition to not using them and doing it right.
A second set of road wheels would be nice though the CX tires are nice for NYC streets. The absorb a lot of the bumps and craps.
My bike has pretty easy gearing 34/50 and 11-32 so it is just a matter of building strength and yeah learning to jump off and run. I need to ride with a few CX riders to absorb some tips and ideas.

There's a few cross videos on youtube. They help. Try and be smooth is key. I hafta get rid of the hop on my dismount. While I'm not competetive (as in for the win) I'd still like to not lose places at the ends of runups.

32-hole Open Pros on D/A or Ultegra hubs (or Velocity Aeroheads, or...) are great cross wheels. Find some O4CDs or older Reflex clinchers for cheep and bash the snot out of em. :nod

Even better are tubulars (Escape, Reflex, etc), :tb but that requires a somewhat spendy buy-in of tires, learning to glue, etc. But BOY HOWDY to the tubulars ride better! :nod

34-32? holy easy pedaling Batman! I'm usually runnin a 34-25/26t big cog on my cross bike. A 32t cog'd be like a mtn bike for me! (See comment of 'if yer riding THAT slow, yer better off running :D)

BUT... don't think I'm harshin on ya. I'm happy yer out riding the thing! Go for it! :thumb

M

pirahna 09-07-2008 08:10 PM

Ouch!

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...6360813226.jpg

Gummee! 09-07-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirahna

Looks like home slice is about to get his shit run over!

:eek1

No bueno!

Graham Watson did something similar a bit back

M

pierce 09-08-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtMerchant
I need to replace the 26" tires and tubes on my Trek 7000; Effn dry rot. :cry

I ride mostly on road/sidewalks with the occasional off-road romp. I'd like to buy 'em cheap and online; free shipping a plus. :deal

What tires do you recommend and who do you buy from? :ear

Thanks,

Rodney

for primarily pavement riding on a mtn bike, I really like the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo tires. thornproof (kevlar liners), 1.9" high pressure semi-slicks, ride great.

I've tried putting thinner slicks on a mountainbike, made the wheels too light and made the handling squirrely.

I always get my tires from a LBS.

Zodiac 09-09-2008 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirahna


I predict massive shoulder surgery occurred after that scene.

Askel 09-09-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirahna


"Damn Jetta exhausts are always falling off. Hand me the fuckin' baling wire, would ya'?"

Askel 09-10-2008 05:41 PM

My local Trek dealer rocks.

Dropped off my Bontrager Select with the cracked rim eyelets last week.

Just picked up a brand new Race Lite replacement, covered by warranty.

Aero spokes, radial laced on the non-drive side, even got the extra fancy skewer with it.

It's the fanciest piece of bike kit I've got now. I think I'm just gonna hang it on the wall. It's too pretty to be hauling my fat ass around. :lol3

Howler 09-10-2008 07:54 PM

This is awesome. Don't know if I could ever ride a trail jumping onto those skinny bridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gloeXuBQFPY

kv 09-10-2008 08:00 PM

Quick Cyclocross bike question: Felt F1X or Redline Conquest Pro?

:scratch

While I do not intend to actually compete in a Cyclocross event this season, I hope to make it to a few clinics and maybe even some practices.

:dunno

RichBeBe 09-10-2008 08:20 PM

Looking for buying advice.
A friend of mine is thinking of buying a mountain bike. She is tiny (just 5'0") and pretty thin but solid. She has almost no mountain bike experience but she is super aggressive with everything she does and i expect her to be an animal on a bike quickly. She is a hardcore rock climber and bouldering fiend.
I know I always needed better gear since I was around 200 lbs. and always broke stuff. She is about 100 pounds so I think she'd less likely break parts than I would.
Anyone have an idea of a good entry level (i.e. cheap) rigid or cross country dual suspension ride? If there are any closeouts even better for her.
I figure she is going to be a 12 or 13" but not one shop that I have seen in NYC has any tiny actual mountain bikes on display to size her with.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015