ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

VespaFitz 08-28-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
So now I have to figure out, "What next?".

Frankly, I've achieved the level of mediocrity I aspire to in XC MTB racing. That is, I got into it because it was something that kind of scared me a little bit. I wasn't quite sure if I could even finish all these long 20+ mile races.

Well, turns out that wasn't really a problem. Not only did I have no problems completing even the longest (47 miles), I've managed to run with some fast people from time to time. I'm still a long way back from the podium spots, but I'm well out of the ranks of the people who are just trying to finish.

And I know what I need to do to start chasing those podium spots, but I just seem to lack the motivation to do so. I'm not a very competitive person, so winning doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I do take my mediocrity quite seriously though and will work however hard it takes to stay out of the ranks of "epic failure".

So barring my transition to one of those Type A folks who's gotta win-win-win, I need to look for a few new epic challenges to keep myself busy.

I think going single speed next year might keep my interest up for another year, but I'm starting to look ahead a few years. Things like the Great Divide Race keep catching my eye....

My whole plan in running 5k races was to beat the prick who was right in front of me. Sometimes it was an old guy. Sometimes it was a 12 year old kid. Didn't matter, as long as I shot past him at the end.

Beyond that I pretty much had nothin'. :lol3

kbasa 08-28-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VespaFitz
I've been a pedalin' fuck all week this week. 22 miles a day, all uphill on the way home.

And I did leg work at the gym yesterday.

I'm taking tomorrow off.

It's gonna be 100F here today, so I think I'm going to spend the day working on the R100.

This weekend, Tina wants to go for a ride, so I think we'll take the bikes into SF on the ferry and ride the Embarcadero down through the marina to Crissy field. It should be cool and wonderful.

yater 08-28-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Frankly, I've achieved the level of mediocrity I aspire to in XC MTB racing. That is, I got into it because it was something that kind of scared me a little bit. I wasn't quite sure if I could even finish all these long 20+ mile races.

Well, turns out that wasn't really a problem. Not only did I have no problems completing even the longest (47 miles), I've managed to run with some fast people from time to time. I'm still a long way back from the podium spots, but I'm well out of the ranks of the people who are just trying to finish.

And I know what I need to do to start chasing those podium spots, but I just seem to lack the motivation to do so. I'm not a very competitive person, so winning doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I do take my mediocrity quite seriously though and will work however hard it takes to stay out of the ranks of "epic failure".

So barring my transition to one of those Type A folks who's gotta win-win-win, I need to look for a few new epic challenges to keep myself busy.

I think going single speed next year might keep my interest up for another year, but I'm starting to look ahead a few years. Things like the Great Divide Race keep catching my eye....

Do it. I may try the Colorado trail race next year. I've decided to focus on the marathon stuff this fall/winter because I was getting caught up in the points chase and needed a break from XC.

kbasa 08-28-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Why not race on different kinds of terrain? I have to believe that an mtb race here is different than a race in the UP.

If you like the back country, it'd be a cool way to see a whole bunch of this country and still have some real fun.

skibum69 08-28-2008 12:38 PM

try racing xc on a DH bike:D

Se7en 08-28-2008 05:08 PM

check

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater
A buddy of mine raced at SSWC. He was on a soulcraft 29er with a lefty fork....blue/red soulcraft kit and a matching el nino mask.

saw him, he was hard to mis. I can't believe some of the outfits people raced in and raced f'n fast too

search flicker SSWC08 lots of good photos of some crazy get ups

m

Askel 08-29-2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69
try racing xc on a DH bike:D

You laugh, but it's common enough that a couple of our rougher local races have a "Big Bike" class just for this. Usually it's 35lbs+. My hardtail XC bike just barely slides in under the limit at a tad over 33. :D

Rest assured though, if I ever do go FS, I'm buying the biggest, badest, burliest, longest travel bike that any manufacturer dares to sell with clipless pedals. :evil

skibum69 08-29-2008 11:33 AM

my personal favourite is the Turner DHR:ricky

Gummee! 08-29-2008 01:33 PM

I'll take 'Uncomfortable Saddles' for $100, Alex.

:baldy OK that's it. No mas Aireone. It DOES NOT fit my butt. :nono

I figgered I'd ride the new Fetish today 'cause, well, I ain't ridden it yet. :nah Its a little grey and moist, but not rainy, so WTF?! First 1/4mi I stopped 3x to fiddle with the seat. After that, a few more on the ride itself (yeah, I'm anal about that stuff!) and have decided that *for me* the Airone's about the worst ass-beating POS that I've ridden since the Concor Light I had 'back when.' I've got chafing in spots where I ain't had it since I switched to the Regal on the Crosshairs.

So, I'm gonna play musical saddles. :nod I haven't decided whether the Regal's gonna go on the Fetish and a Flite is gonna go on the Crosshairs (leaving the Aireone on the mtn bike that don't get ridden much) OR put the Flite on the Fetish, leaving the Regal where it is (and is adjusted right :thumb). I'm gonna end up with another Regal here 'soon' so I'm leanin towards putting the Flite on the Fetish and leaving good alone. I'm also gonna try like Hades to get my ass on an S-Works Tarmac afore I quit workin at the shop I'm workin at now. :nod :ricky Too bad I don't really have the $$ to do it immediately! :cry

Pics at 11

M

cornercarver 08-29-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
So, I'm gonna play musical saddles. :nod I haven't decided whether the Regal's gonna go on the Fetish and a Flite is gonna go on the Crosshairs (leaving the Aireone on the mtn bike that don't get ridden much) OR put the Flite on the Fetish, leaving the Regal where it is (and is adjusted right :thumb). I'm gonna end up with another Regal here 'soon' so I'm leanin towards putting the Flite on the Fetish and leaving good alone. I'm also gonna try like Hades to get my ass on an S-Works Tarmac afore I quit workin at the shop I'm workin at now. :nod :ricky Too bad I don't really have the $$ to do it immediately! :cry

I've got an old school ti rail flite saddle (circa 1997 or so, but barely used). I'm about to do some seat shopping, as the WTB saddles I've been using are making my taint hurt these days (the padding surrounding the split is pinching my skin, I think). If you want to swap the Airione for my flite, I'd be up for that. I have no idea of relative prices. A saddle is a saddle to me, but you sound like you are a fan of flite saddles, and I really don't find them comfortable any more (I weigh 15-20 pounds more than I did in the 90s), so if you want to swap, I'm up for it. If the airione doesn't work for me, I'll just ditch it on CL and try something else.

cornercarver 08-29-2008 05:20 PM

Any of the cyclists on this thread want to tell me about the riding life in Seattle? I'm looking at a job offer there, and while I'm thinking about taking it, I'm afraid of all that rain and the effect it will have on the size of my gut. I've been mostly road riding lately, as it can be difficult to get to trails from Hollywood, but I'd love to get back into MTB. I really prefer to commute by bicycle. How may days per year am I likely to be prevented from that by the weather? I don't mind a bit of rain, but may find a lot of it oppressive when it comes to commuting. I have no interest (yet) in riding in snow, though letting my Huskies pull a sled to work may be fun. I don't imagine it snows there all that much, though.

If anyone has direct experience of both Seattle and London weather, I'd love a comparison from a cyclist and motorcyclist's perspective. I grew up in London and never minded the weather much, though that was before I lived in SoCal for 17 years.

I assume my dogs (Sib. Huskies) will love it up there, and I love playing with my dogs, so that's at least part of my motivation. Right now, they basically hibernate between 9am and 5pm when it is hottest.

skibum69 08-29-2008 05:23 PM

buy fenders:D

Gummee! 08-29-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69
buy fenders:D

Check over on roadbikereview.com too. I hear the city's got a FANTASTIC riding scene. Knary lives up thataway, try PM-ing him for specific info.

Cross season is upon us! Seattle's got one of the two best cross scenes in the country. :nod :ricky If you wanna see the wacky side of life, a cross race is indeed it. :choppa

Now, if I only had some form. :cry

Oh well. Lemme see what I can do about racing into shape!

M

Gummee! 08-29-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornercarver
I've got an old school ti rail flite saddle (circa 1997 or so, but barely used). I'm about to do some seat shopping, as the WTB saddles I've been using are making my taint hurt these days (the padding surrounding the split is pinching my skin, I think). If you want to swap the Airione for my flite, I'd be up for that. I have no idea of relative prices. A saddle is a saddle to me, but you sound like you are a fan of flite saddles, and I really don't find them comfortable any more (I weigh 15-20 pounds more than I did in the 90s), so if you want to swap, I'm up for it. If the airione doesn't work for me, I'll just ditch it on CL and try something else.

Check yer PMs

:deal

M

Askel 09-01-2008 01:38 AM

Aw man, Gummee. I wish I still had those saddles you sent me.

They were great and got me rolling despite my saddle woes last year. Still managed to kill one in a newbie crash. Fixable though, we just can't figure out how to get it back together.

Once I figured out that titanium rails are a necessity for me off road, I switch to something more suited to my style and passed the other one along.

A big thanks though, although they weren't the answer, they deffinitely helped me solved my saddle woes. :thumb

This weekends race report:

This last race was.... entertaining. And it had a *huge* spectator turn out for a really technical descent. I hope somebody got video of me up on my front wheel while the crowd collectively cringed. Managed to haul it back down for a rather ungraceful scuttle across the slickrock on foot. (I forget, plastic cleats don't work so well there. :lol3 )

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:58 PM.