ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Robert_C 09-24-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klay
I hate grip-shifters...just when I pull a wheelie to ride up some steps or something, I accidently twist and get the wrong gear, or worse, lose momentum and crash.

I think that I just didn't grow up using them. It really doesn't matter though, I don't like them. I ended up switching my gripshifters out on my stumpjumper for XT rapidfires.

Like I said, I think it has more to do with familiarity. However, I was happier with the bike after I did it. I did give them a try, it just wasn't the way for me; obviously, some people do like them.

Askel 09-24-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiTechRedneck
Anyone suggest any good reading material for someone looking to get into cycle touring?

Maps? :dunno

:lol3

kv 09-24-2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Anyone suggest any good reading material for someone looking to get into cycle touring?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring

These two pages should keep you busy for a few hours. :thumb

HiTechRedneck 09-24-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kv
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring

These two pages should keep you busy for a few hours. :thumb

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Maps? :dunno

:lol3

:rofl Ummmm......yeah.

Cat0020 09-24-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

I picked up a Trek 7000 on the cheap from our local shop; used but mint, and perfect for zipping around campus 5 days a week. Though I've decided that grip shifters suck, good seat fit is invaluable, and I don't care for the free-pedal sensation I get when between gears.

But I like riding the bike...and would like to do more of it and longer distances.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

When you say "longer distances" what kind of distances are you thinking of riding on your bicycle?

If I remember correctly, you have back problem, correct? do be careful if you are starting a new physical activity regiment.. riding a bicycle may seem innecent enough, but once you're hooked and start to put on the miles, it may aggrevate to your existing physical problem if you don't have someone check you out for your fit and motion while riding.

HiTechRedneck 09-24-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
When you say "longer distances" what kind of distances are you thinking of riding on your bicycle?

If I remember correctly, you have back problem, correct? do be careful if you are starting a new physical activity regiment.. riding a bicycle may seem innecent enough, but once you're hooked and start to put on the miles, it may aggrevate to your existing physical problem if you don't have someone check you out for your fit and motion while riding.

I don't have a bad back....I have a mystery neurological disorder that no one seems able to diagnose, exactly. Lotsa nerve death, lotsa muscle death in my feet and legs...not to mention all the fun stuff I went through at Shriner's hospitals as a kid as they did what they could to correct the malformation of my feet due to said unknown disorder.

When I was a kid it was diagnosed as Guillian-Barre Syndrome....but after a paralytic episode 7.5 years ago, no one wants to call it GBS anymore :dunno

I appreciate the tip, though. But I tend to confound the docs, nurses and PT folk over the years.....generally the comment is, "how can you walk? It just doesn't make any sense." :D

Distance wise I'd like to start off with a couple of slow weekends, maybe 10 miles; then start to work my way into longer trips.

We have the Katy Trail up the road, so I figured that be a good way to start.

Cat0020 09-24-2008 10:25 AM

Well, whatever you have I'm sure it's not pleasant.. I was going to suggest you to try a recumbent bicycle that may have similar riding position as your Big Ruckus.. at least your butt will not get tired/sore as quickly as regular bicycle:

http://www.bicycleapparel.com/images/bent/recumbent.jpg

HiTechRedneck 09-24-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Well, whatever you have I'm sure it's not pleasant.. I was going to suggest you to try a recumbent bicycle that may have similar riding position as your Big Ruckus.. at least your butt will not get tired/sore as quickly as regular bicycle:

http://www.bicycleapparel.com/images/bent/recumbent.jpg

:rofl Those are way cool, but a bit outta my price range.

Prior to my last neuro episode (spring of '01) I'd ride 6-10 miles per week on my POS Huffy mtb. Not really out to see the scenery, just for the stamina and cardio.

Admittedly mounting and dismounting the bike required a bit of a re-learning curve, but I ride daily around campus; so lotsa gettin' on and gettin' off. And the upright seating position (the 7000 is a hybrid) makes for a surprisingly comfortable ride.

For grins I make a couple-few loops 'round campus on the days with long breaks between classes.

It just, it really feels good to be pedaling again. I grew up riding bmx style bikes, jumping homemade ramps and stair hopping and the like... though I seriously doubt I'll ever be doing any of those tricks again :D

One thing learned from owning slow scoots, the journey is the point. Not the destination (yeah, even when commuting). Guess I'm ready to go even slower, eh?

patch29 09-24-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/

HiTechRedneck 09-24-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patch29

Thanks!

kv 09-24-2008 06:56 PM

So why exactly are bicycles like puppies? :dunno You know, they just follow you home.

I actually purchased not only the Redline Conquest Pro but the Felt F1X I had been looking at as well. The first time out on the Felt I snapped a rivet out of the chain. I got a replacement right away and had an opportunity to take it out on a long ride (32.8 miles) this afternoon.

So I've gotten the occassional numbness is my hands before; usually between my thumb and forefinger. Today it cropped up a few times but nothing too bothersome. That said, I had always attributed the occassional numb foot to my foot swelling up during a ride. After loosening my shoe up twice this afternoon, it occured to me that the numbness in my foot may actually be caused by my saddle.

Does anyone else have experience with this and what have you done to alleviate it? Having a numb foot can cause a few anxious moments when there's a delay in getting unclipped.

RedRocket 09-24-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kv
So I've gotten the occassional numbness is my hands before; usually between my thumb and forefinger. Today it cropped up a few times but nothing too bothersome. That said, I had always attributed the occassional numb foot to my foot swelling up during a ride. After loosening my shoe up twice this afternoon, it occured to me that the numbness in my foot may actually be caused by my saddle.

Does anyone else have experience with this and what have you done to alleviate it? Having a numb foot can cause a few anxious moments when there's a delay in getting unclipped.

I get numbness in my thumb and forefinger when I'm bent over on my mountain bike, and my VFR800. I have a pinched nerve in the c4 area of my spine. I haven't found the solution yet.

Gummee! 09-24-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kv
So why exactly are bicycles like puppies? :dunno You know, they just follow you home.

I actually purchased not only the Redline Conquest Pro but the Felt F1X I had been looking at as well. The first time out on the Felt I snapped a rivet out of the chain. I got a replacement right away and had an opportunity to take it out on a long ride (32.8 miles) this afternoon.

Prolly not the saddle, but maybe shoes that are too tight? Possibly cleat bolts protruding into yer foot? Saddle makes OTHER things numb, but not usually feet. :dunno

Try lowering the saddle if you think that it may be the issue. Could be yer too high. Could also be that yer stem's too far down/forward? Without pics/vids its hard to say.

M

kv 09-24-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Prolly not the saddle, but maybe shoes that are too tight? Possibly cleat bolts protruding into yer foot? Saddle makes OTHER things numb, but not usually feet. :dunno

Well the shoes really make a lot of sense as it's primarily my right foot; the same ankle that I shattered just over 3 years ago. I just checked the cleat and the bolts are far from my foot. One of the reasons I suspected it might be the saddle is that I thought the nerves for your legs and feet run down the inside of each leg. Someone with a better understanding of human anatomy will have to chime in on that one.

If anything, I have a tendancy to run my saddle just a bit on the short side. I know right away if I get one cranked up too high as I'll start rocking my hips.

kv 09-24-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocket
I get numbness in my thumb and forefinger when I'm bent over on my mountain bike, and my VFR800. I have a pinched nerve in the c4 area of my spine. I haven't found the solution yet.

A pinched nerve is something I had suspected but never wanted to admit to myself. Coming back from KBM's in Daytona one year, I had a little spill in some deep sand while hunting a place to take a nap at 3:00 a.m. In the tumble, one of my panniers popped off and struck me in the back. I brought it to the doc's attention several hours later when I was getting treated for a fractured collar bone and a punctured lung. Ultimately, my back and spine were never examined; probably because I didn't complain of any pain.

:dunno

I should really see a chiropractor.

:nod

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:06 PM.