ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

skibum69 10-27-2008 08:49 AM

you need to have the correct reach and height to your handlebars. YOur selection will probably be limited as quill type stems are pretty much obsolete with only cheap low end still in any kind of production

Gummee! 10-27-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
I have absolutely no doubt you are correct, but can you enlighten me as to why that is the case :ear Is it just MTB's or does that apply to all bikes (i.e. road as well) ?

Just curious...

All bikes.

Basically what happens is after a bit, you start to sink into the softness of the saddle and it starts putting pressure on spots you don't want pressure on: aka soft tissues. Yer supposed to be supporting yer weight primarily with yer sit bones (get it?!) not the perinieum (sp?)

Big mistake lots of new riders make. :nod Hey that leather wrapped thing looks HARD! I'll get a gel/whatever seat... So they go too far. Somewhere in the middle's fine. Look for the 'enthusiast' seats like the WTB stuff I mentioned, the Specialized Body Geometry, Terry, and a few more similar seats with the proper shape and slightly less padding.

Mtn biking is a little less critical of saddle density cause yer standing up lots more than JRA. :nod Now, if yer out toodling on a mtn bike, yer NOT mtn biking. :nono Mtn biking involves off-road riding thru the woods/desert/etc.

HTH

M

Gummee! 10-27-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69
you need to have the correct reach and height to your handlebars. YOur selection will probably be limited as quill type stems are pretty much obsolete with only cheap low end still in any kind of production

Yes and no.

You can get quill to threadless conversion pieces thru most wholesalers. I'm gonna for Stick Me's Oschner. :nod I have a pair of extra bars that are mounted on a t-less stem...

Its a 'make-do' like the lights in the ride report that the work computer ate, :baldy but they'll get it to where you can run 'modern' stuff.

M

Mercury264 10-27-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
All bikes.

Basically what happens is after a bit, you start to sink into the softness of the saddle and it starts putting pressure on spots you don't want pressure on: aka soft tissues. Yer supposed to be supporting yer weight primarily with yer sit bones (get it?!) not the perinieum (sp?)

Big mistake lots of new riders make. :nod Hey that leather wrapped thing looks HARD! I'll get a gel/whatever seat... So they go too far. Somewhere in the middle's fine. Look for the 'enthusiast' seats like the WTB stuff I mentioned, the Specialized Body Geometry, Terry, and a few more similar seats with the proper shape and slightly less padding.

Mtn biking is a little less critical of saddle density cause yer standing up lots more than JRA. :nod Now, if yer out toodling on a mtn bike, yer NOT mtn biking. :nono Mtn biking involves off-road riding thru the woods/desert/etc.

HTH

M

It did indeed :thumb

Saw a Brooks saddly in REI the other day. Work of art.

Gummee! 10-27-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
It did indeed :thumb

Saw a Brooks saddly in REI the other day. Work of art.

The people that ride Brooks saddles love em.

I've never had one. :nah

MAYBE if I go Salsa Casaroll...

M

/ 10-27-2008 01:13 PM

I just finished a quick 13 mile ride with the tires inflated to 120 psi.

:eek1

Talk about a harsh and jarring ride. Of course the roads around here resemble lunar surfaces.

Going back to 100 psi.

/

Gummee! 10-27-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /
I just finished a quick 13 mile ride with the tires inflated to 120 psi.

:eek1

Talk about a harsh and jarring ride. Of course the roads around here resemble lunar surfaces.

Going back to 100 psi.

/

Get bigger tires. :nod

25c or 28c if they'll fit.

Mo bettah

OR get some Vredstein Fortezzas. Mmmmmm silky smooth ride at 120+ Cheep too! (PBS has em perpetually on sale.) Not the toughest tire out there, but man oh man do they ride nice. Almost as good as a good tubular. :nod ...and for me, that's sayin something!

M

RichBeBe 10-27-2008 04:53 PM

I rode a bike on Sat with the perfect tires for off road.
http://veganmotorcyclist.smugmug.com...61_QUt8q-M.jpg

Not me on it, but I rode it later/

skibum69 10-27-2008 06:37 PM

must be tough walking backwards all day

CA_Strom 10-27-2008 07:13 PM

Spinning???

Any of you cyclists out there into Spinning?

After never finding enough daytime hours to get on the road bike consistently (work, kids, etc..), and not wanting to drag the road bike on/off a trainer constantly, I plunked down some $$$ on this baby last Friday:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nner_NTX-1.jpg

It's a nifty Star Trac NXT Spin Bike. All aluminum, rock solid, fixed gear with a 45 lb. flywheel. At first I bought a cheapie $400 Chineese made knock off, and it was a total uncomfortable POS. After learning my lesson, I bit the bullet and got the high zoot NXT, and man what a difference! Very adjustable, comfortable, and doesn't flinch under my rather large frame.

Did my first real workout early Sat. morning, and this thing kicked my ass! I got some spin DVD's with it, and they take you through some standing climbs, jumps, etc.. Way tougher than any 45 minute road ride I've ever done. We'll see how this works out, but I'm hoping to get on this baby 3x a week and then fill in the other days with real riding.

Gummee! 10-27-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA_Strom

After never finding enough daytime hours to get on the road bike consistently (work, kids, etc..), and not wanting to drag the road bike on/off a trainer constantly, I plunked down some $$$ on this baby last Friday:

It's a nifty Star Trac NXT Spin Bike. All aluminum, rock solid, fixed gear with a 45 lb. flywheel. At first I bought a cheapie $400 Chineese made knock off, and it was a total uncomfortable POS. After learning my lesson, I bit the bullet and got the high zoot NXT, and man what a difference! Very adjustable, comfortable, and doesn't flinch under my rather large frame.

Did my first real workout early Sat. morning, and this thing kicked my ass! I got some spin DVD's with it, and they take you through some standing climbs, jumps, etc.. Way tougher than any 45 minute road ride I've ever done. We'll see how this works out, but I'm hoping to get on this baby 3x a week and then fill in the other days with real riding.

Spinervals

Good stuff for specific cycling workouts. By cyclists for cyclists. Spinning's a great workout, but ain't cycling specific

M

Askel 10-28-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
The people that ride Brooks saddles love em.

I've never had one. :nah

MAYBE if I go Salsa Casaroll...

M

I just got a letter from the Society of White Socks and Toe Clips saying if I don't buy a Brooks in the next 90 days, I'll have to surrender my fenders.

I'm fighting for an extension. It's winter. I got frumpy leather duck bill ski boots to buy right now. :D

Askel 10-28-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Gray Wolf
Must just be us Blokes and Bikes eh?

On the subject of blokes, bikes, and "the boys"- in addition to the suggestions above, get yourself a nice pair of bike shorts.

It's unfortunate that big dudes are least likely to join the spandex set- they've actually got the most to gain from it. Trust me, I've been there. :deal

Mercury264 10-28-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
On the subject of blokes, bikes, and "the boys"- in addition to the suggestions above, get yourself a nice pair of bike shorts.

It's unfortunate that big dudes are least likely to join the spandex set- they've actually got the most to gain from it. Trust me, I've been there. :deal

+1

Make sure they are in black though - much more slimming looking. I hear blue is bad for big boys. So I'm told. Or something.

Mercury264 10-28-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA_Strom

Seeing as you didn't like a 400 buck Chinese knock-off I'm skeered of asking this but...well, here goes...how much does one of those bad boys go for :ear

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:01 PM.