ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 09-03-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing
And today was the easy day hunh?

:nah I hear that's Monday... :dunno We'll see.

Stick Me's workin that nite, so I'll have the time. Hopefully they're workin. It IS a holiday after all.

The harder/longer they go, the better I like it 'cause it means that I'll get in shape faster. I THINK what they did the other day was hammer till they dropped me, slowed down a bit, then picked it back up again. I could be wrong. I'm just tenacious enough to keep going back and keep getting dropped till I stay on thru the whole ride. After that, I start hurting people... :evil

M

Gummee! 09-03-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
OK bicycle types, I need some help. I have an old MTB that I have put skinny tires on. It has a Manitou Magnum (elastomer bumper) suspension fork. The elastomers have died. Does anyone sell components to rebuild the fork?

Probably. If its a 1 1/8" steerer tube, yer better off getting another fork. Them old Manitous weren't the bestest.

If ya don't mind spending the $$, get a Fox shock. Slightly less gets you a Marzocchi. I dig my Bomber. :deal Rock Shox are all right. Ditto with new Manitou forks.

If yer runnin 1" fix it. Finding a 1" steerer 'good' fork will be nigh impossible.

M

Gummee! 09-03-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen
As far as riding my bicycle goes...I can't wait to get home to flat "NO hills" Illinois. :lol3

feh No hills = headwinds.

:nono

M

patch29 09-03-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Them old Manitous weren't the bestest.

:wave I have a Manitou Three. I don't think it has any suspension now, solid as could be. :doh

knary 09-03-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Thanks, I found it very rewarding to be able to wrench again (even if it was in a NYC apartment....)

http://cdperry.smugmug.com/photos/92593321-M.jpg

http://cdperry.smugmug.com/photos/92593323-M.jpg

:clap

I'm shopping around for a bike that needs my love to turn into my 'round town wanna be rat bike, but too nice to be confused for one.

Photog 09-03-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patch29
:wave I have a Manitou Three. I don't think it has any suspension now, solid as could be. :doh

I've got two first-generation rock shox air shocks from the late 19th century. A whopping 1.5" travel IIRC. I've even got one of the rare aftermarket CNC'd brake braces. The one on my Schwinngle is pretty much a rigid fork. :lol3

Spacerat 09-04-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Sure dude, I want to ride up to NJ over the GWB sometime...:1drink

If we do that, the 9W is pretty good. Give me a couple of months to get my legs back a bit. I just went out last night for the first time in many many years (on a cycle that is). Painful, but I feel great this morning.

I can always come into the city, too.

Ray of Sunshine 09-04-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I found it very rewarding to be able to wrench again (even if it was in a NYC apartment....)

http://cdperry.smugmug.com/photos/92593321-M.jpg

http://cdperry.smugmug.com/photos/92593323-M.jpg

Very nice work, Perry, I am glad my words of encouragement helped.
You always know where to find sympathy, don't you Prive? :lol2 :devildog

tfordbend 09-04-2006 09:56 AM

what do you want

If all you want is to get in shape, just ride. You can create a very fast city bike by using 26 inch road tires on your mountain bike. I haven't seen a mountain bike that is geared too low for city riding because the stock gearing tends to cover a huge range of ratios. Unless you can routinely spin out a big gear (>25 mph turning the cranks as fast as you can) you don't need new rings or cogs. The road tires, with a less than 1 inch width, are not buzzy. They are exactly like other road tires.

The bike you have would be perfectly good for getting back in shape. You need to put in the time in the saddle. I find the uglier a city bike is the less paranoia you have about it getting ripped off.

A time trial bike that you mention is a highly specialized piece of equipment, that is uncomfortable and impractical for just about anything else besides time trialing (going fast at race tempo pace on a closed course). I wouldn't recommend it. I own 6 bikes (2 road, MNT single speed, MNT hard tail, MNT full susp, downhill) and I have raced on them all, and I would still not buy a time trial bike. Only triathlon geeks and wanna -be's buy and ride time trial bikes. I had fun in Chicago last July drafting behind a guy on a beautiful tri-bike with time trial bars and disk wheels. I was riding a beach cruiser with fat tires, dressed in my tourist clothes, with my two kids drafting behind me on a tandem, bikes that we rented for a couple of hours. The tri-geek didn't even know we were there, but it was pretty funny to watch judging by smiles on people's faces as we passed. :rofl The message is (as Lance Armstrong said) it is not about the bike...it is the rider.

If on the other hand what you really want is a cool new toy, which is what a time trial bike would be, then the sky is the limit. It is kinda like motorcycles. You could buy one functional reliable ugly dual sport and ride the hell out of it (think DR650) or you could have several beauties in your garage that rarely get ridden, but they are fun to look at (think MV Augusta when you live on a gravel road).

Good luck and congratulations on making the decoision to get fit.:clap
DRTED

Gummee! 09-04-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photog
I've got two first-generation rock shox air shocks from the late 19th century. A whopping 1.5" travel IIRC. I've even got one of the rare aftermarket CNC'd brake braces. The one on my Schwinngle is pretty much a rigid fork. :lol3

:tb

I was riding a Mag21 till just a few years ago. Did all right by me!

I'm an XC kinda guy, so the limited travel wasn't a detriment.

M

Gummee! 09-04-2006 11:47 AM

Hey Perry!

I figgered out what the problem may be. I'd forgotten that you was usin CF spacers under the stem...

Replaced my S-Works' fork and AL spacers with CF and had the same issue. :scratch :dunno WTF? It was just OK... Took the CF spacers out and put the AL back in. No more problem.

Try that.

M

Zodiac 09-04-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Hey Perry!

I figgered out what the problem may be. I'd forgotten that you was usin CF spacers under the stem...

Replaced my S-Works' fork and AL spacers with CF and had the same issue. :scratch :dunno WTF? It was just OK... Took the CF spacers out and put the AL back in. No more problem.

Try that.

M

Thanks Gumm, I found out the problem, I took it apart this morning and repacked everything, using more lube, there was a bottom plastic retainer ring that for some reason (can't figure out why, since it was concaved to fit exactly like the metal ring shields that enclose the bearing rings...) -needed to be reversed. It fit perfectly dry though.

I swapped it around and problem solved. Just took it for a test ride and it feels great, thanks for all your help. I'm gonna crank it up a notch tonight, see what it can do. Bike definitely lost around 2 lb's with this new set up, soaks up the bumps more too since this fork is really bigger in the right places then the old composite POS I sawed off.

I'll take pics tonight of BB and we can tackle the triple to double conversion next:wink:

Zodiac 09-04-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine
Very nice work, Perry, I am glad my words of encouragement helped.
You always know where to find sympathy, don't you Prive? :lol2 :devildog

Couldn't have done it without ya Sunshine:evil

(and I made it all the way to Lance Corporal):lol3

Gummee! 09-04-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks Gumm, I found out the problem, I took it apart this morning and repacked everything, using more lube, there was a bottom plastic retainer ring that for some reason (can't figure out why, since it was concaved to fit exactly like the metal ring shields that enclose the bearing rings...) -needed to be reversed. It fit perfectly dry though.

I swapped it around and problem solved. Just took it for a test ride and it feels great, thanks for all your help. I'm gonna crank it up a notch tonight, see what it can do. Bike definitely lost around 2 lb's with this new set up, soaks up the bumps more too since this fork is really bigger in the right places then the old composite POS I sawed off.

I'll take pics tonight of BB and we can tackle the triple to double conversion next:wink:

:clap

Stick Me and I are gonna do a little thing tonite. She's gonna rollerblade up and down a MUT while I go round the long way and meet up with her at some point on the trail.

Then she's gonna shower and go off to work.

M

terry.mc 09-04-2006 06:30 PM

Great weekend of riding here this week.

Friday 10 miles of singletrack/1.5 track right near the house. Used to eat my lunch last year, walking the bike up the steep stuff and generally looking like a rolling cardiac arrest. I rolled the whole loop without stopping or walking. Woot!

Saturday 6.5 miles of singletrack. Lots of techy climbys, went over the bars on the descent, but still a good ride

Sunday 8 miles of singletrack/1.5 track. Nasty climbs, tons of rocky steep stuff, some walking. At the end of the ride I tackled a climb on the other side of the street that was hard to walk up last year. Huffed and puffed to the top, no stops. Woot!

Monday 24 miles on the road bike. Felt great on the climbs, slow on the flats.

Next weekend, lift assisted bombing at Breckenridge. Mmmmmm Bombing....

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:30 PM.