ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

knary 09-05-2006 01:00 AM

Did some climbing today. 52 miles. 26 miles out and back on 224 along the Clackamas river from Estacada to Ripplebrook ranger station.

Yep. Did some climbing.

Near the finish. We'd been down at that river and in that forest down far below.
http://knary.smugmug.com/photos/93104359-L.jpg

Gummee! 09-05-2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Did some climbing today. 52 miles. 26 miles out and back on 224 along the Clackamas river from Estacada to Ripplebrook ranger station.

Yep. Did some climbing.

Near the finish. We'd been down at that river and in that forest down far below.
http://knary.smugmug.com/photos/93104359-L.jpg

last post before beddy bye:

Nice.

Except for that climbing part!

:lol2

M

Zodiac 09-05-2006 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfordbend
If all you want is to get in shape, just ride. You can create a very fast city bike by using 26 inch road tires on your mountain bike. I haven't seen a mountain bike that is geared too low for city riding because the stock gearing tends to cover a huge range of ratios. Unless you can routinely spin out a big gear (>25 mph turning the cranks as fast as you can) you don't need new rings or cogs. The road tires, with a less than 1 inch width, are not buzzy. They are exactly like other road tires.

The bike you have would be perfectly good for getting back in shape. You need to put in the time in the saddle. I find the uglier a city bike is the less paranoia you have about it getting ripped off.

A time trial bike that you mention is a highly specialized piece of equipment, that is uncomfortable and impractical for just about anything else besides time trialing (going fast at race tempo pace on a closed course). I wouldn't recommend it. I own 6 bikes (2 road, MNT single speed, MNT hard tail, MNT full susp, downhill) and I have raced on them all, and I would still not buy a time trial bike. Only triathlon geeks and wanna -be's buy and ride time trial bikes. I had fun in Chicago last July drafting behind a guy on a beautiful tri-bike with time trial bars and disk wheels. I was riding a beach cruiser with fat tires, dressed in my tourist clothes, with my two kids drafting behind me on a tandem, bikes that we rented for a couple of hours. The tri-geek didn't even know we were there, but it was pretty funny to watch judging by smiles on people's faces as we passed. :rofl The message is (as Lance Armstrong said) it is not about the bike...it is the rider.

If on the other hand what you really want is a cool new toy, which is what a time trial bike would be, then the sky is the limit. It is kinda like motorcycles. You could buy one functional reliable ugly dual sport and ride the hell out of it (think DR650) or you could have several beauties in your garage that rarely get ridden, but they are fun to look at (think MV Augusta when you live on a gravel road).

Good luck and congratulations on making the decoision to get fit.:clap
DRTED

Thanks for the advice (I assume it was for my first post in thread).

Don't know if you read the thread, but I've been riding my Klein MTN and an old Basso Ti that I've slowly been upgrading components on. I agree the rider makes the bike -, I've had a few good days where I'm passing roadies on my Klein Mtn bike and it feels pretty good.

I really do love and appreciate the design/function of a TT bike. I find I'm in love with speed and efficiency, that crisp sharp cutting through the wind in the darkness of Central Park. But I'm sticking to my roadie and liking it's versatility. If I do end up buying a new one it will surely be a modern roadie, either carbon or AL/Carb mix frame.

Gummee! 09-05-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Thanks for the advice (I assume it was for my first post in thread).

Don't know if you read the thread, but I've been riding my Klein MTN and an old Basso Ti that I've slowly been upgrading components on. I agree the rider makes the bike -, I've had a few good days where I'm passing roadies on my Klein Mtn bike and it feels pretty good.

I really do love and appreciate the design/function of a TT bike. I find I'm in love with speed and efficiency, that crisp sharp cutting through the wind in the darkness of Central Park. But I'm sticking to my roadie and liking it's versatility. If I do end up buying a new one it will surely be a modern roadie, either carbon or AL/Carb mix frame.

you really need to surf on over to Vanilla's site...

M

Zodiac 09-05-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
you really need to surf on over to Vanilla's site...

M

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_journal.html

this one?

knary 09-05-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

The poster on that page was done by my friend Dan who lives about a block from here. I hadn't seen that! He does phenomenal tattoo work.

Gummee! 09-05-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

:nod

ALL of the Vanillas I've seen pics of have been :tb

'Course I 'grew up' riding in the steel frame era. :dunno

All my dream bikes are old Colnagos and such. The new stuff is nice, but it just don't move me.

M

motojedi 09-05-2006 01:27 PM

Hey Perry, watch out for squirrels with that new fork. :huh

knary 09-05-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

last post before beddy bye:

Nice.

Except for that climbing part!

M

:D

I'm not too fast up, but I like hills. I've got a compact double (50/34) and a 12-27 on the back. Worst case, I can slowly spin up at 8 or 9 mph.

pierce 09-05-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

:nod

ALL of the Vanillas I've seen pics of have been :tb

'Course I 'grew up' riding in the steel frame era. :dunno

All my dream bikes are old Colnagos and such. The new stuff is nice, but it just don't move me.

M

pssst! my brother still has that cherry 1967 Bianci Team for sale... too bad its a 19" frame :-/

Gummee! 09-05-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motojedi
Hey Perry, watch out for squirrels with that new fork. :huh

Pshaw! I actually hit a squirrel on the ride Friday! Guy behind me slammed on his brakes and the girl behind him went BANG! Luckily, we were going slow and she landed in the dirt! :eek1

Little bastage was DETERMINED to get across the road RIGHT FUCKING THEN with this big ole green thing in his mouth. :baldy

Oh well. At least she was OK (AFAIK)

Today's ride was quite the hammer fest. I saw 47-48kph on my computer as I was hiding in the pack. I held on LOTS longer than I thought. Sucking wheel IS an art! :nod We turned right up Day Rd. and I couldn't get my sprint on to catch back up. Buh bye! Legs = torqued for the rest of the ride home. I blew at about halfway-ish.

I'll be back Thurs for more punishment. I figger soon it'll be MY turn to do the hammering!

M

Gummee! 09-05-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
pssst! my brother still has that cherry 1967 Bianci Team for sale... too bad its a 19" frame :-/

Too old, too little $$ (I'm unemployed, remember?!) and the wrong brand.

Pass thanks.

M

Gummee! 09-05-2006 03:48 PM

Surfing CL again: Linky

There's more good deals in there, surf the last few days. 'Cross season is upon us, so guys are upgrading to new stuff and dumping the old...

:deal

M

YakSpout 09-05-2006 03:57 PM

I just picked up my first road bike thanks to this thread and some encouragement from some roadie friends. :clap

http://www.performancebike.com/produ...00/30_7053.jpg

For the money it seemed about the best thing out there for my needs. (Commuting 1 or 2x/week, weekend recreation rides)

Zodiac 09-05-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
I just picked up my first road bike thanks to this thread and some encouragement from some roadie friends. :clap

http://www.performancebike.com/produ...00/30_7053.jpg

For the money it seemed about the best thing out there for my needs. (Commuting 1 or 2x/week, weekend recreation rides)

Nice dude.

What is it/specs, brand?

Good luck w it.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:19 AM.