ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

TheNedster 12-02-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
I want a Norco Vesta.

A Ceres for me, please! :ricky

Askel 12-02-2009 01:04 PM

On the subject of belt drive bikes, anybody seen prices for sprockets for these things yet? I've seen the belts for sale here and there for about $55, but that's about all.

I really dig the concept of a belt drive, but regearing one might be too expensive to justify...

pierce 12-02-2009 01:10 PM

http://www.tradevv.com/TradevvImage/...eys-A8d02f.jpg

+

http://www.aptfast.com/Images_Parts/...ents/FB383.jpg

whats the problem, again?

skibum69 12-02-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Treks have always been, well... Treks. At least in my time, they suffered from the mid-level and lower look/feel. There was nicer stuff out there for not a whole lot more $$.

The first 5XXX bikes didn't do much to change my opinion of em, so... they're just Treks.

Haven't ridden a Madone. Doubt I will. Its a Trek after all

M

agreed!:lol3

ducnut 12-02-2009 05:32 PM

^^^ Ordered. $37 through Amazon.

RyanIsMyName 12-03-2009 08:41 AM

When I took the forks off the Trek the starnut just spun in place. It took some hammer blows and wrestling to get the top nut to loosen from the starnut. Am I going to have to replace the starnut once I put the forks back on, or will this happen again?

DoctorIt 12-03-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanIsMyName
When I took the forks off the Trek the starnut just spun in place. It took some hammer blows and wrestling to get the top nut to loosen from the starnut. Am I going to have to replace the starnut once I put the forks back on, or will this happen again?

As in, you yanked the star-nut right out of the steerer tube with the head bolt in place?

More than likely, yes, it's mangled. Make sure you try to ream out the steerer tube a little bit before putting a new nut in (at least with a file or some sandpaper). A new nut shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks at any bike shop.

RyanIsMyName 12-03-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorIt
As in, you yanked the star-nut right out of the steerer tube with the head bolt in place?

More than likely, yes, it's mangled. Make sure you try to ream out the steerer tube a little bit before putting a new nut in (at least with a file or some sandpaper). A new nut shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks at any bike shop.

Here's what happened. I loosened the top allen screw but it just kept spinning in place, not backing out. I tapped the fork tube cap and crown with a hammer a few times and it started to back out. I had to alternate tapping and turning the screw. The starnut is still in the fork tube, all the way at the top of the tube. Is this where it's supposed to be?

DoctorIt 12-03-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanIsMyName
The starnut is still in the fork tube, all the way at the top of the tube. Is this where it's supposed to be?

Yes.

So is it loose? Shouldn't be hard to tell, either it spins/jiggles/slides-in-the-tube or it doesn't. If you can make it move at all with a finger or poking with a screwdriver, then it needs to be yanked out (which will totally destroy it) and replaced. Those things are pretty much single-use, by nature.

Are the threads just mangled?

Either way, sounds like it has to go.

RyanIsMyName 12-03-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Yes.

So is it loose? Shouldn't be hard to tell, either it spins/jiggles/slides-in-the-tube or it doesn't. If you can make it move at all with a finger or poking with a screwdriver, then it needs to be yanked out (which will totally destroy it) and replaced. Those things are pretty much single-use, by nature.

Are the threads just mangled?

Either way, sounds like it has to go.

From what I remember it's in there pretty tight but I didn't really look at the threads. I'll take some macro shots of it when I get home. Thanks for your help.

fifthcircle 12-03-2009 03:25 PM

Lance likes Treks....and Yamahas :lol2

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c540...1258832238.jpg

skibum69 12-03-2009 04:23 PM

small yamaha's at that:lol3

Gummee! 12-03-2009 06:26 PM

Ya wanna pound a new star nut in on top of the one that's there. Easy, cheap solution.

OR you can pound it out the bottom.

Yes, you need a new one. Your choice as to how to go about it.

AFA where its supposed to be in the tube, its supposed to be about 2cm below the top of the steerer tube.

HTH

M

vfr700 12-03-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Treks have always been, well... Treks. At least in my time, they suffered from the mid-level and lower look/feel. There was nicer stuff out there for not a whole lot more $$.

The first 5XXX bikes didn't do much to change my opinion of em, so... they're just Treks.

Haven't ridden a Madone. Doubt I will. Its a Trek after all

M

I sold Treks in the late 80's/ early 90's, and wasn't impressed with them. The top end bonded alu rigs were lack luster, as were the bonded carbon rigs. They weren't bad, but were as you said just Treks. I sold a shit load of them, and they gave great dealer incentives.

In the late 70's their top end rides were silver brazed, with SL, 531, and eventually 753. They were really very nice, and equiped with Record gruppo's usually.

I never cared for the 5xxx series, up through the first two Madone generations. They were nice rides, but never really excited me.

And then I saw, rode, and purchased up a current Top Fuel. It's one of the best 100mm full suspension cc rigs I've ridden. I'll see how it holds up over the season. In addition to my road program next year I'm planning on doing a couple NUE and cc races. I've read of a few Top Fuel frame failures, so time will tell.

Gummee! 12-03-2009 07:19 PM

Bought the only Trek I would consider riding is a 9XXX series carbon HT jobbie. Buddy has one. All XTR for $1600.

I found it, but it didn't fit me, so...

Best riding mtn bike I've owned was my S-Works carbon. Second was the Supergo Access.

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:11 AM.