ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 12-24-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Wife gave me some free time this morning(I've stayed home with the kids all week :twitch) Seeing mostly dry and clear roads was enough for me, so I geared up and went out to see if I could tolerate a ride with temps right around freezing. Other than ice cold toes, It was completely enjoyable. :clap

Damn that felt good.

Whatcha wearin on the feets? :ear

IME, if you dress em too warm, you'll get as cold as iffen ya hadn't worn enough. :nod Lightweight merino socks under toe booties or regular booties = bueno. Basically: feet sweat and get wet. Wet = cold. Keep the tootsies dry and its half (or more) of the battle!

Oh, an wear a balaclava or skull cap too. Keep the heat in the head an torso an it helps the rest of you too.

M

Javarilla 12-24-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahoon

Put some brakes and reflectors on that thing before you kill yourself. :lol3

ImaPoser 12-24-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Whatcha wearin on the feets? :ear

IME, if you dress em too warm, you'll get as cold as iffen ya hadn't worn enough. :nod Lightweight merino socks under toe booties or regular booties = bueno. Basically: feet sweat and get wet. Wet = cold. Keep the tootsies dry and its half (or more) of the battle!

Oh, an wear a balaclava or skull cap too. Keep the heat in the head an torso an it helps the rest of you too.

M

Regular riding socks, and booties over the shoes. The rest of me felt perfect. I could modulate my core temp by just adjusting the zipper on my jacket a couple inches after a climb, and then closing it back up before descents.
I think it's actually the shoes fault. They cause my toes to go numb after about an hour every ride. But then again, my toes go numb after about a half hour of any other exercise while wearing my running shoes as well. :dunno

Gummee! 12-24-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
Regular riding socks, and booties over the shoes. The rest of me felt perfect. I could modulate my core temp by just adjusting the zipper on my jacket a couple inches after a climb, and then closing it back up before descents.
I think it's actually the shoes fault. They cause my toes to go numb after about an hour every ride. But then again, my toes go numb after about a half hour of any other exercise while wearing my running shoes as well. :dunno

I have the same issue. There's some shoes that have a strap that cuts right across a buncha nerve endings on the top of yer foot. My 1st gen Poggios did it till I cut a notch in the tongue.

Try that

M

ducnut 12-24-2009 09:06 PM

I didn't realize it, but, I was inadvertently "digging" with my toes and causing them to go to sleep. I've, also, read that having the cleats positioned way forward will cause it, as it encourages digging. Great for a TT, not so much for the long haul.

dolomoto 12-24-2009 09:23 PM

I'd never ridden a road bicycle til spring 2008. Rode it about 1000 miles in 5 months of riding last year. For 2009, I set an ambitious goal to complete a Century and ride 3000 miles.

Mission Accomplished!

This year, I completed a 5k run in January, a metric Century in August, a Century in September, a sprint Duathlon (run 1 mile, bike 13 miles, run 5k) in October and did the Bridge Run Double Pump just two weeks ago (ran a 5k at 0800 and a 10k at 0900).

Fastest timed mile (run) was 8 minutes. Slowest was 11m (during the 10k).

This weekend, I'll roll over 3500 miles on the Trek for this years total mileage.

Next year the goal is to ride a Century (or two) and run a Marathon.

Full Tri by age 45 (I'm 40 now).

In January 2005, I was a roly-poly-jiggle mess...horribly out of shape, size 39 waist, resting HR of 70bpm.

Last week: Just a little jiggle left, size 33 waist, resting HR of 54bpm.

I used to wonder how folks found the time to keep in shape and I read an article from a Triathlete who worked full-time. His key to training was to find the time that we all think we don't have. So, 4 days a week, I get up at 0445 and ride 17 miles before work. 24 miles after work. And a 43 mile group ride on most Saturday mornings.

Your grandkids deserve a healthy grandparent.

Embrace the Suck!

ImaPoser 12-24-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolomoto
I'd never ridden a road bicycle til spring 2008. Rode it about 1000 miles in 5 months of riding last year. For 2009, I set an ambitious goal to complete a Century and ride 3000 miles.

Mission Accomplished!

This year, I completed a 5k run in January, a metric Century in August, a Century in September, a sprint Duathlon (run 1 mile, bike 13 miles, run 5k) in October and did the Bridge Run Double Pump just two weeks ago (ran a 5k at 0800 and a 10k at 0900).

Fastest timed mile (run) was 8 minutes. Slowest was 11m (during the 10k).

This weekend, I'll roll over 3500 miles on the Trek for this years total mileage.

Next year the goal is to ride a Century (or two) and run a Marathon.

Full Tri by age 45 (I'm 40 now).

In January 2005, I was a roly-poly-jiggle mess...horribly out of shape, size 39 waist, resting HR of 70bpm.

I used to wonder how folks found the time to keep in shape and I read an article from a Triathlete who worked full-time. His key to training was to find the time that we all think we don't have. So, 4 days a week, I get up at 0445 and ride 17 miles before work. 24 miles after work. And a 43 mile group ride on most Saturday mornings.

Your grandkids deserve a healthy grandparent.

Embrace the Suck!

:clap

I'm a year behind you(but three younger).

This was my first year with a road bike and did 1500+ miles.

Next years goals are to do a century(longest ride this year was 75miles)

Ride the 180 miles in two days pelotonia charity ride

Run a 10K.

I think I'm starting to wear off on the wife. She's been saying she wants to get on the trainer and start riding over the winter so that by spring she can get a road bike and be able to ride pelotonia with me. We'll see if that happens in the next few weeks.

ImaPoser 12-24-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I have the same issue. There's some shoes that have a strap that cuts right across a buncha nerve endings on the top of yer foot. My 1st gen Poggios did it till I cut a notch in the tongue.

Try that

M

Did I mention I bought the shoes used with pedals for $50 just to see if I liked clipless pedals halfway through this riding season? :arg

I think I'll try new shoes in the spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
I didn't realize it, but, I was inadvertently "digging" with my toes and causing them to go to sleep. I've, also, read that having the cleats positioned way forward will cause it, as it encourages digging. Great for a TT, not so much for the long haul.

That's what the couple I've ridden with some recommended. I've worked on making sure to keep my feet flat, but it hasn't helped. Neither has trying three different saddles, two pairs of shorts, and two different bikes. I tried adjusting the cleat location as well, but they were already all the way back.

Ken 12-25-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolomoto
n January 2005, I was a roly-poly-jiggle mess...horribly out of shape, size 39 waist, resting HR of 70bpm.

It's all genetics and has nothing to do with you changing your lifestyle :nah :lol3

k7 12-25-2009 08:27 AM

My waist has gone from 44" to 38"....bicycle should arrive next week.

I think I figured out a cool way to commute to work once a week. My wife goes to school so I'll drive in with her and let her drop me & the bike at the light-rail station.

I'll take the train to work and after work ride home. We live south of South Mountain so I can go from downtown straight to the park. The ride through the park is beautiful and it'll involve a nice climb up the mountain to Telegraph Pass.

From there, it's 1.5 miles on the trail back down to Desert Foothills Parkway. I'm on the far south end of that road.

It's about a 27 mile drive and while I haven't measure it yet, the ride home should be maybe 15 or so.

Mr Head 12-25-2009 09:09 AM

Looking For Some Road Training Routes

I'll be in Mesa for a week or so and plan on doing some training on the old roadbike. I'm basically at the intersection of Apache Trail and Loop 202.

Any suggestions? I figure a couple of hours a day of riding which should give me somewhere around 30 miles or so at this stage of my fatness... I figure to soak up as much of the sun such as it is until I have to head to the PNWet.:clap

gambrinus 12-25-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider
I was a sprinter (track, not bike), now I just look after my tendons and muscles :lol3 Bicycling is sooooo much easier on me in that way :nod

Anaerobic v. Aerobic

http://velocycle.smugmug.com/photos/165223586-L.jpg

In the chance that she's your daughter, I'll say very politely , ....ummm wow. Quite the attractive coach that you have there.

Gummee! 12-25-2009 11:52 AM

Stick bought me a 'share the damn road' jersey. I may just hafta go riding!

:ricky

M

Askel 12-25-2009 01:40 PM

Mom got me a wool cycling jersey.

And surplus Solvenian Army wool knickers.

Sweet. :D

Gummee! 12-25-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Mom got me a wool cycling jersey.

And surplus Solvenian Army wool knickers.

Sweet. :D

for the love of doG, please, please please DO NOT post pics!

:puke1

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:16 PM.