ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Javarilla 01-09-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
:ddog

:lol3 :lol3

Javarilla 01-09-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
But that's because I don't. I'm on a bicycle. Clearly, I'm more intelligent. :lol3

Oh yeah, anybody got any good tips on asking your boss for 4-5 weeks off from work for bicycling related idiocy reasons? :evil

Ok.

Rule #1. Make sure your boss is into bicycling related idiocy. :lol3

k7 01-09-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiLeR650
No brevet. My stupid pos truck picked this morning of all mornings to attempt suicide. So instead of doing the ride I get to sit here on the side of the road, in my full winter riding getup, prepped and ready bike in the back, and surf advrider on my phone while I wait for the engine to cool off enough that I can limp it down to the gas station at the next exit. I fucking love cars.

Sorry to hear that.

I have a similar story - we (three of us) were preparing to do a 600-mile Hill Country tour back in the late 70's. Our first official day was to be from San Antonio to Austin via San Marcos but the tour ended at a rally in Kerrville. Therefore, we needed a vehicle in Kerrville since the rally ended late Sunday.

I volunteered to drive to Kerrville and ride back to San Antonio - about 70 miles - and as I got into town, my 1975 Dodge Dart Sport decided it's rear u-joint needed replacing. As I pulled into a gas station looking for a place to safely leave my car, the drive shaft fell onto the pavement and I coasted into a gas station dragging it!

Stuff like that bothers the hell out of me - I was young, almost no money - no credit card, etc but I was determined not to let it bother me while on the trip. I told the station to fix it and I'd be back in a week.

Rode back to SA - we did our loop of the Hill Country and I picked up the car the next week during the rally. Great trip... I was riding a Schwinn Voyager and my buddies, twins, were on a Schwinn Paramount Tandem. They're the only two guys I've ever seen who could stand up at the same time on a tandem and crank away. My guess is that many people can do that today... not much experience w/ tandems lately.

It was also big fun...and I mean BIG FUN to grab their rear rack and hang on as they went down some of the larger hills. It was like grabbing the back of a freight train. They didn't seem to like it when I grabbed on while they were climbing though. :evil

k7 01-09-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
:lol3 :lol3

:flip

Need to run to the drug store and get some meds for my wife - then I'll get started. How hard can it be? Two wheels, a seat, handlebars, etc. :wave

It's funny - my garage time is getting simpler. Years ago, it was working on old Land Rovers all the time...and I do mean all the time. Old Land Rovers always need something.

Then, it was motorcycles - not nearly as much work, easier tasks for the most part.

Now, it's bicycles and on the rare occasion, something on one of the kayaks may need a little attention. It's all good 'eh?

I'll check the 'net later.

k7 01-09-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Oh yeah, anybody got any good tips on asking your boss for 4-5 weeks off from work for bicycling related idiocy reasons? :evil

Big tour?

gambrinus 01-09-2010 09:26 AM

Great Cycling Blog / magazine

http://urbanvelo.org/

RW

pierce 01-09-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
No, you are ridiculous, fact is: majority of bicycle riders do not race, more than likely never will race. And recumbents are for those who allow themselves to enjoy riding a bicycle without suffering unnecessary strain on their bodies.

so are fat tire cruisers. :deal

Cat0020 01-09-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
so are fat tire cruisers. :deal

They have crappy seats, too. :lol3

k7 01-09-2010 04:29 PM

Almost there....

I have a few things to wrap up - determine how high I want the stem, cut the tube, get black spacers if necessary (shop only had the chrome), crimp off the cable ends, etc.

Did just a short easy ride - I'm going to enjoy this bike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture020.jpg

Gummee! 01-09-2010 04:38 PM

Looks good!

Are the bottoms of the drops on yer bars level with the ground? Old rule of thumb sez they're supposed to be pointed at the rear hub... That'll rotate up yer brakes and make em more comfy.

HTH

M

k7 01-09-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Looks good!

Are the bottoms of the drops on yer bars level with the ground? Old rule of thumb sez they're supposed to be pointed at the rear hub... That'll rotate up yer brakes and make em more comfy.

HTH

M

Opps - see what a 20+ year absence will do? Easy adjustment to make - thanks for the heads-up. If you spot anything else, I'm all ears.

Gummee! 01-09-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
Opps - see what a 20+ year absence will do? Easy adjustment to make - thanks for the heads-up. If you spot anything else, I'm all ears.

I'd hafta see ya to fit ya to it.

:dunno

The rest it nit-picky old mechanic's stuff: cables cut off at the bottom of the brake arms, R Der cable cut off at the end of the body of the der. That kind of stuff. Oh, and a BIG one for me: make sure the labels are lined up on the tires. Its the small stuff that sets the ham-fisted amateur from the 'real' mechanic.

M

Askel 01-09-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
Ok.

Rule #1. Make sure your boss is into bicycling related idiocy. :lol3

Done, but the cow-orkers I need to get to cover me are very much not.

Still, I sort of hope somebody says no. It looks so much easier when I haven't turned a pedal over in at least 2 months.

Gummee! 01-09-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiLeR650
Lined up with what? :scratch

Valve stems

Labels go on the drive side. (unless the tires're directional)

M

Askel 01-09-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Valve stems

Labels go on the drive side. (unless the tires're directional)

M

So why line them up with the valve stems? My bike shop always does that. I'm usually happy if I can just get directional tires on the right way the first time. Or the second. :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:49 AM.