ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Charlie Brown 02-16-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajflyboy
The global picture is very cold.

Global warming is total bullshit to steal your money!!!

But hey.... some global warming sure would be nice right now for a good old bicycle ride!!

dude its a bicycle thread in the sports forum, lets keep our political opinions to ourselves ok?

Zodiac 02-16-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajflyboy
The global picture is very cold.

Global warming is total bullshit to steal your money!!!

But hey.... some global warming sure would be nice right now for a good old bicycle ride!!

Please shut the fucking politics up, thanks.

Try CSM next time.

Charlie Brown 02-16-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Please shut the fucking politics up, thanks.

Try CSM next time.

no kidding.

besides global warming is a fact and due to people using carbon, aluminum and titanium instead of steel framed road bikes. DUH!

ok seriously, it will cost too much to change my bianchi over to 105 from the awesome 10yo veloce 9 speed groupo that i have now.

so ill start saving for a nice new bike. id love to have an 853 frame and 105 components. i should have gotten shimano to begin with, but that was akin to sacrilege. the euro bottom bracket seems to have jumped the shark.

skwidd 02-16-2010 01:17 PM

Sumbitch, only about 75 miles on it!
Ran over a little piece of metal debris.

http://skwidd.smugmug.com/Sports/Ser...59_5XV7m-L.jpg

k7 02-16-2010 05:37 PM

Ever get shocked by your bicycle?

30 years ago, I remember parking under the hi-voltage lines that come out of Plant Hatch - a nuclear power plant down in Baxley GA. If my bicycle was on top of the car, I could hold my keys close to the rack and draw a small arc when the plant was making power.

Yesterday, as I rode parallel to some power lines, I felt a mild shock on my left hand. I thought maybe a bee was stuck in my gloves but I realized I was touching part of the handlebar down near the front brake handle that isn't quite covered by tape.

I could easily repeat the effect by moving my hand close and then back away. Interesting. Maybe I'll dig out my Fluke, bicycle back to the same area and see if I can get a reading on the voltage.

ducnut 02-17-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7
30 years ago, I remember parking under the hi-voltage lines that come out of Plant Hatch - a nuclear power plant down in Baxley GA. If my bicycle was on top of the car, I could hold my keys close to the rack and draw a small arc when the plant was making power.

Yesterday, as I rode parallel to some power lines, I felt a mild shock on my left hand. I thought maybe a bee was stuck in my gloves but I realized I was touching part of the handlebar down near the front brake handle that isn't quite covered by tape.

I could easily repeat the effect by moving my hand close and then back away. Interesting. Maybe I'll dig out my Fluke, bicycle back to the same area and see if I can get a reading on the voltage.

Let us know what it shows. I'm curious. I ride under powerlines adjacent to a coal-fired plant all the time, but, have never been shocked. My Trinity is an Alliance (carbon/aluminum hybrid). I wonder why I don't get zapped. Hmmm.

ducnut 02-18-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDuc
Friend of mine up here won 1st place with this movie "Fat Bike" at the Boston Bike Film Festival this last Fall.

His name is Carl Battreall and here's an intro to the movie. Have fun, Mark H.

Got my DVD, yesterday. I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to see the origins of the fat bike. IDK that I could handle living there with the extremes.

What do you guy wear for gear? What the video shows is awfully lightweight looking. I need to gear up with different stuff, as layers of cycle clothing isn't quite getting it. I don't have a ski shop anywhere close, so I'll have to internet order if that's what you guys use.

Gummee! 02-18-2010 06:04 AM

I've found that a few lighter layers is mo bettah than a few big ones. :nod

No matter what the synthetic folks say, I like Merino wool mo bettah than most of my synthetic base layers.

Lightweight LS base
Midweight insul layer
Mid- to Heavyweight jersey
Windbreaker jacket
(+ tights, etc)

Was all I needed down into the teens to 20s regardless of the windchill once I got warmed up. :nod Iffen I was goin mtn biking, I'd need less.

I can't think that you'd need much more riding wherever else in the country 'cause well, riding = heat.

:dunno

M

ducnut 02-18-2010 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I've found that a few lighter layers is mo bettah than a few big ones. :nod

No matter what the synthetic folks say, I like Merino wool mo bettah than most of my synthetic base layers.

Lightweight LS base
Midweight insul layer
Mid- to Heavyweight jersey
Windbreaker jacket
(+ tights, etc)

Was all I needed down into the teens to 20s regardless of the windchill once I got warmed up. :nod Iffen I was goin mtn biking, I'd need less.

I can't think that you'd need much more riding wherever else in the country 'cause well, riding = heat.

:dunno

M

I currently use Wickers cold weather (top+bottom) base layer, jersey, Specialized winter jacket, Pearl windbreaker over that, Pearl amFIB bib pants, leg warmers over those, Pearl full-finger gloves with Thinsulate gloves over those, plastic bag (essential) under a balaclava, heavier socks with Pearl full shoe covers.

We have brutal winds, due to minimal windbreaks (trees). Flat farmland presents something more than just what the thermometer shows. Wind just cuts right through gear. I'm good down to around 32-34, but, was looking for more options for colder yet.

zippy 02-18-2010 07:16 AM

damn you fargonians

I will be jumping in and buying a fargo soon. I know there at least three members currently riding them. My question - what size did you go with ?

I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I was thinking large ?

thanks

Oznerol 02-18-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
I will be jumping in and buying a fargo soon. I know there at least three members currently riding them. My question - what size did you go with ?

Is 32" your pants-size inseam, or your accurately-measured taint-to-floor inseam?

I'm your height and wear 32" inseam pants, but my actual inseam is a bit over 34 inches. I was debating between medium and large. Salsa's sizing advice is that you should choose the same size for a Fargo frame that you would for one of their recent mountain frames (e.g. if you'd ride a medium El Mariachi, you'll fit best on a medium Fargo). Going with that approach, the medium was the clear choice for me.

That said: I haven't actually ridden my Fargo, yet. The frame just came a few days ago and I need to get it into the shop to be prepped before I can build the bike. I'm planning to leave the steerer tube pretty long at first so that I've got a lot of room to experiment with bar position.

zippy 02-18-2010 09:08 AM

32 = pant size inseam.

My most recent purchase was a Salsa Pistola in 51cm or what they say is 58cm traditional. It fits perfectly.

DoctorIt 02-18-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

32 = pant size inseam.

My most recent purchase was a Salsa Pistola in 51cm or what they say is 58cm traditional. It fits perfectly.

Uh, what?? how does 51 = 58???

No way you're 5'10" and riding a "traditional" 58. Maybe if you have weird proportions you could be riding something with a 58 top tube, but I just don't get your math.
:scratch

ducnut 02-18-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

thanks

I'd say medium. I'm the same height and medium or 54-55cm seems to fit me best.

Quote:

32 = pant size inseam.

That's some weird sizing going on there. They show 575mm traditional top tube length for a 51cm frame. At 5'10", I know I'm not comfortable with that much length.

zippy 02-18-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Uh, what?? how does 51 = 58???

No way you're 5'10" and riding a "traditional" 58. Maybe if you have weird proportions you could be riding something with a 58 top tube, but I just don't get your math.
:scratch

I didn't make it up. Go to salsas website and checkout the geometry for the pistola. ? The pistola is in no way traditional geometry, it has quite the sloping top tube. But that is indeed what my "go fast" road bicycle is. I rode a metric century in just over 3 hours and experienced no back, neck , arm or other pains. I am somewhat of a freak though:D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:19 AM.