ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

skibum69 03-01-2010 08:21 AM

with that much sloping top tube there's no need for a "women's" version as long as the stem is an appropriate length

Askel 03-01-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69
with that much sloping top tube there's no need for a "women's" version as long as the stem is an appropriate length

But it's not pink! :lol3

skibum69 03-01-2010 08:23 AM

my brakes are:jack
http://skibum69.smugmug.com/Other/pe...56_3sov9-M.jpg

ImaPoser 03-01-2010 08:43 AM

Two solid months of no riding. :bluduh

As of now, the forecast looks good to be riding by the end of the week. :clap

the1andonlyzippo 03-01-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

please remind me where that quote came from? "I'm your huckleberry"

That Anthem should be fun if you can find any hills in Texas:rofl

Tombstone... Doc Holiday.

I live in East Texas, there's good enough hills out here... and Arkansas in only a tiny car trip away. ;)

the1andonlyzippo 03-01-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Was there a specific reason you chose a men's version over the female's?

I don't really like the geometry on the women's specific bikes... I don't see any need for it.

Also, women's specific bikes always come in stupid colors (like pink) that I refuse to ride on. Plus, my team kit is black and white, so this bike looks perfect with it. :lol3

pierce 03-01-2010 10:49 AM

I know on the Specialized mtn bikes at least, the womens frames have a shorter seat-to-bar distance as the same height mens frames... Giants are already somewhat shorter than Specialized (I think Specialized are built for dudes with long torsoes).

the1andonlyzippo 03-01-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
I know on the Specialized mtn bikes at least, the womens frames have a shorter seat-to-bar distance as the same height mens frames... Giants are already somewhat shorter than Specialized (I think Specialized are built for dudes with long torsoes).

That's pretty much the only difference on the Giants. The bike is just a little less spread out. I don't like that feeling, I like to feel like I'm not sitting upright like I'm riding a bicentennial bicycle. I tried out a lot of Specialized before I bought this bike, and I didn't like the geometry on the women's specific bicycles in that brand, either.

k7 03-01-2010 11:04 AM

back in the saddle again.

Well, after being out for a few weeks due to travel and a personal issue, it's time to get enthusiastic about *something* again. I have kayaks and one bicycle but I don't feel like doing anything. I put on about 10 lbs in the last three weeks but I should be able to drop that fairly fast.

I had ordered a rear rack for the Fargo and a top case for the rack. I picked those up yesterday and installed the rack.

My wife has a paper due for one of her classes on Wednesday so I'll likely not get out until Wednesday - I'll help her a bit with her paper tonight and tomorrow night.

I've scheduled a little kayaking on Saturday with Bill the Duck and my daughter. That'll help a bit also.

Other than that, I'm back...not motivated but it'll come.

ducnut 03-01-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

There's more to women-specific bikes than that. Many have shorter crank lengths, lighter tubing, tighter frame dimensions, narrow bars, tighter lever positioning, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1andonlyzippo
I don't really like the geometry on the women's specific bikes... I don't see any need for it.

Also, women's specific bikes always come in stupid colors (like pink) that I refuse to ride on. Plus, my team kit is black and white, so this bike looks perfect with it. :lol3

Fit is all about geometry, so whatever works.

Yeah. I don't get the color schemes, either. Just because one is a woman, doesn't mean it has to have shades of pastel. Manufacturers claim "designed by women for women", but, I'm not buying it.

Wadester 03-01-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
There's more to women-specific bikes than that. Many have shorter crank lengths, lighter tubing, tighter frame dimensions, narrow bars, tighter lever positioning, etc.

Fit is all about geometry, so whatever works.

Yeah. I don't get the color schemes, either. Just because one is a woman, doesn't mean it has to have shades of pastel. Manufacturers claim "designed by women for women", but, I'm not buying it.

Go search the Women's Lounge at MTBR - you can find good discussion on this, up to and including the "girlie" colors. Interestingly enough, the opinion split on pink was not a majority either way - some serious gals loved it, and others hated it. I recall one lady whose proportions fit "men's" geometry well was wishing for a bit more girlie color. YMMV

skibum69 03-01-2010 01:15 PM

personally I'm fine with pink, as my brakes will attest, but I agree that many "women's" bikes are not built to the same standards of performance that men's models are, and I don't buy that philosophy.
http://skibum69.smugmug.com/Other/pe...29_DcyST-M.jpg

ducnut 03-01-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

personally I'm fine with pink, as my brakes will attest, but I agree that many "women's" bikes are not built to the same standards of performance that men's models are, and I don't buy that philosophy.

Agreed. There are some really hardcore women out there who'd gladly buy high-end product. At my LBS, those women just build up what they want. A current project is a Scott Plasma that's going to total around $13K for a female triathlete. She has a Guru Chrono at about that same total, too. So, they're out there.

skibum69 03-01-2010 02:08 PM

my kind of women, except for the triathalon part:lol3

Gypsy 03-01-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1andonlyzippo

I'm with you on this one. I, too, have a man's bike. A GT.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6902118_n.jpg

Not a great pic, but only one I can find with the full bike in it.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:17 AM.