ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

rajflyboy 03-14-2010 08:24 AM

gummee

Thanks for posting the Info.

There are many more velodromes than I had assumed in the good old USA.

Gummee! 03-14-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajflyboy
gummee

Thanks for posting the Info.

There are many more velodromes than I had assumed in the good old USA.

Not all of em are as active as say SoCal or T-Town.

M

rajflyboy 03-14-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Not all of em are as active as say SoCal or T-Town.

M

I could see that!

Looks like the Mellowdrome in Ashville, NC was an Old half mile paved oval race track converted to a velodrome type bicycle track (good use of resources to make a great and safe place for bicyclists to ride)

MsLizVt 03-14-2010 01:10 PM

Flashbacks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69
I was there in '96 or '97 when my ex and another friend were racing in it. Our buddy broke his back when he went down in the peleton and was run over by 5 or 6 bikes. I still remember seeing the chainring marks on his jersey when I went to see him right away in the hospital. Ouch!

Skibum69, Hi!

I was there too. My best recollection is I was in the Pace Car for that race. It was the circuit race, on the downhill, very fast, less than a mile from the sprint finish, everyone was looking for position at the front. A local friend who was riding for Killington-Pico Cycling Club went down in that crash too, broke his wrist/arm.

Things that I seem to remember:

I saw in the rear view mirror, the whole pack suddenly take up the whole road and bicycles flipping in the air. It was a Cat 3 or Cat 4 men's race (no Cat 5 existed then). Things got complicated because we still had at least two other Categories on course racing while the emergency vehicles and officials were on the course. It was in 1997. That crash probably had the worst outcome of all the KSR events over the years with a small handful of people ending up at the ER.

I will say though, that stage always had some great sprint finishes.

Did we talk about this before? :D

Enjoy,

Liz

skibum69 03-14-2010 04:20 PM

I think it's the first I piped up about it, I'd go volunteer if I had the time. I never was any good at road racing, not dedicated enough.:lol3

RichBeBe 03-14-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

I grew up in the shadow of this track. It was a shithole, we used to ride down one of the turns and build jumps in the middle on out BMX bikes. They redid it a few years back, and i is much nicer now. There is a twilight series one night a week there but it doesn't get used much at all.
That said it is just in a park, and you can ride on it anytime which is nice.

skibum69 03-15-2010 06:05 AM

go check out the 'Forest City Velodrome' it's fairly new and has been getting a lot of attention in that area.
forest city velodrome

nomiles 03-15-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Roads are for cars and not bicycles. You on a bicycle have no chance against a 4000 pound vehicle.

When I see cyclists riding in rush hour on major 4 lane streets through the city I make sure to NOT give them any extra room. They don't deserve it. Go find a better, safer place to ride!

What an asshole.

skwidd 03-15-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomiles
What an asshole.

Have you seen how happy those fuckers look, how fit they are, and how quickly they get around the city while everyone else is stuck in their mobile phone boths?
They must be stopped! :lol3

TheYeti 03-15-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwidd
Have you seen how happy those fuckers look, how fit they are, and how quickly they get around the city while everyone else is stuck in their mobile phone boths?
They must be stopped! :lol3

They make the rest of us look so fat. Evil bike riders.....

Askel 03-16-2010 04:53 AM

Mike Magnuson is blogging.

I mostly blame him for my little bicycling problem because of his book Heft On Wheels.

When he's not posting King Missile videos and ripping on academics (topics which I enjoy as well) he writes some pretty funny shit about cycling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Magnuson
At while later, at the Fletcher Street Bridge turnaround, where of course I turned the fuck around, I saw a blinding blue flash approaching, a rider I had seen a number of times before, middle-aged, head down, grimace and gray stubble, hands on the brake-lever hoods, enough menace and unhappiness in his face to make Stalin seem like Rachel Ray taking a bite out of a flourless dark chocolate brownie. My inner Stalin-hater came out. I waited for him. I clicked into the big ring. I was ready. Fuckin-A the guy blew by without saying hello – sure sign he was to dickheads what Anita Bryant once was to Florida oranges – and I dove into his draft and caught his wheel and announced I was there, I was on his wheel. This guy? He didn’t acknowledge me and didn’t change his hammering position even in the slightest, just kept pedaling like the evil Stalinlike machine that Joel Friel and his training bible has created in those among the general populace whose intelligence quotients drop forty percent when they ride a bicycle. This guy had all the Stalinlike gear, too: the PowerTap cranks, the full Assos kit, the custom carbon bike. But to give him his due, he ramped it up and ramped it up till he was piling along at 28 miles per hour, which I don’t give a fuck how fast you think you are, that’s pretty fucking fast (my buddy Professor would insist that 28 miles per hour is actually slow). I hung with this guy for a while, for a couple of miles, then exposed my inner Oscar Mayer Weiner to the world and dropped off his wheel. Fuck.

Zodiac 03-16-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Roads are for cars and not bicycles. You on a bicycle have no chance against a 4000 pound vehicle.

When I see cyclists riding in rush hour on major 4 lane streets through the city I make sure to NOT give them any extra room. They don't deserve it. Go find a better, safer place to ride!

you were being sarcastic I hope....?:huh

fifthcircle 03-16-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Mike Magnuson is blogging.

I mostly blame him for my little bicycling problem because of his book Heft On Wheels.

When he's not posting King Missile videos and ripping on academics (topics which I enjoy as well) he writes some pretty funny shit about cycling.

Nice. Just "followed" him. I scrolled down and read the post about his old cowbell. Funny shit!

Gummee! 03-16-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
you were being sarcastic I hope....?:huh

Ya think?

M

JeffPrice 03-16-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

There are 22 outdoor tracks in the United States:M

I live just down from the Alpenrose track here in SW Pdx; it is private property - a Dairy. They have several venues that they make public for organizations to run - a quartermidget racetrack, the softball and little league fields [the Little League and Softball World Series play here] and they used to have a BMX track [until curmudgeon neighbors and liability issues raised their heads]. They also host a cyclocross on their property. Alpenrose Dairy folks are really generous and are long standing supporters of the neighborhood.

Anyway - I've ridden on the track a few times - okay, I took the road bike on it to see what it was like. It is not such a weird shape as it is a compact track with steep banking - steepest in the nation I believe at over 40 degrees? They say you have to go a minimum of 13 mph to stay up on the banking without sliding down. That's not far from the truth. The track is steep enough you really just ride the thing and you will turn. The spectators can watch from the ends and peer down on cyclists. It's a great place and they have a few large events there in the summers - free spectating and some big names come out.

The track is concrete and a number of years ago was falling into disrepair - there was a big bump/crack at the entry to turn 3. They did a good amount of refurbishment on it and restarted the racing. OBRA has some info on the work and the racing. They [OBRA racers] also have classes during the summers - show up and someone will teach you track cycling fundamentals.

There is a big push to get another velodrome in the state - indoors. They are trying for Eugene or the old Memorial Coliseum in downtown Portland. Unfortunately, that would seal the fate of the Alpenrose track.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 AM.