ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

/ 03-21-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
From Edgewater to Pallisades park to Piermont and back, my garmin 705 reads 2366 of ascent. When I avoid the park and use just River Terrace rd to route 9 it's usually in the 1900s.

There's some crazy hill alone just from Edgewater to GWB, and more so in the Pallisades park (one is a nasty 2 miler that always kills me).

I did GWB to Nyack and back. I don't ride on River Road anymore, had way too many close calls. I've done the hills in Palisades Park twice (had to walk the last half mile), I never realized that was 2K of ascent. Damn.

I've started taking Chantix to quit smoking. That should help me with speed and distance.

My legs won't let me sleep tonight.

/

soewe812 03-22-2010 01:10 AM

Good on ya for quitting smoking. The Chantix works well. Wait for the vivid lucid dreams around a week in.:evil

Askel 03-22-2010 03:18 AM

Didn't take me long to find my bicycling happy place this spring.

Put whatever hills or bad roads you want in front of me- as long as I have enough calories, I can keep the cranks turning all day. Then wake up again and do it the next day.

The only problem is, I'm just not very fast. At all. This is the point where I should probably engage in some kind of structured training program. But dammit, I like my junk miles. And lots of them. :lol3

P.S. Anybody know the smallest inner chainring you can fit on a 130mm 5 arm crank? 50/39/30 just ain't doin' it in the dirt. I spend a lot of time cross-chained all to hell in the 30, but never seem to be able to get out of the bottom 3-4 gears on the middle chainring. I'm thinking a trekking crankset would be ideal here, but don't really want to shell out for a whole new crankset if I don't have to.

skibum69 03-22-2010 03:27 AM

still waiting for my new helmet, sigh.....

Askel 03-22-2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum69
still waiting for my new helmet, sigh.....

Helmets are for sissies.

http://www.feep.org/gallery/albums/h...0662.sized.jpg

(And also for those lucky bastards with tiny heads who can fit one over a hat. :bluduh)

Bimble 03-22-2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
...The only problem is, I'm just not very fast. At all. This is the point where I should probably engage in some kind of structured training program. But dammit, I like my junk miles. And lots of them. :lol3

:nod

It sounds like your "junk miles" have allowed you to build a pretty strong aerobic base.

I like structured workouts about as well as the next triple-distilled type B hippy, but they do help build speed and muscular endurance.

skibum69 03-22-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Helmets are for sissies.

http://www.feep.org/gallery/albums/h...0662.sized.jpg

(And also for those lucky bastards with tiny heads who can fit one over a hat. :bluduh)

nice mug, if you saw what the last rock I landed on did yo the helmet I was wearing you might understand why Im waiting for mine. Not to say I won't ride my coffee bike downtown without one though

rajflyboy 03-22-2010 12:50 PM

I'm here

Some of you all need to take your meds... If you think I was trying to run you over!!

:rofl

skibum69 03-22-2010 12:53 PM

spell check won't tell you if you're using the right word or not.

I can't 'hear' you yelling from over 'here'!

Zodiac 03-22-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajflyboy
I'm hear

Some of you all need to take your meds... If you think I was trying to run you over!!

you even spell like a 6 year old.

ps - you're back on my ignore anyway so spew away.

rajflyboy 03-22-2010 01:47 PM

last I checked this isn't an official document.... spelling is not required for success!

anyways..... some peeps need to get back to taking your meds..

Mercury264 03-22-2010 02:01 PM

Please get banned again. Please....

kbasa 03-22-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

last I checked this isn't an official document.... spelling is not required for success!

Keep it up and get a perma courtesy of yours truly.

skibum69 03-22-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

You're right, but grammar and spelling are two entirely different things.

skwidd 03-22-2010 03:41 PM

Wonder if this kornhole idiot has a mailing address for a big steamy shit in a box?

Lance Armstrong thinks Tony Kornheiser is an idiot
09:48 AM
Yahoo! Buzz
ShareE-mailSavePrint

27Comments
6Recommend
UPDATE: Armstrong will be on Kornheiser's radio show Friday. The show starts at 10 a.m., but we don't know when Armstrong will be on.

Tony Kornheiser went off on cyclists last week -- at one point even saying "run them over" -- and now Lance Armstrong wants to throw him under the bus.

Kornheiser's rant on ESPN Radio 980 was in reaction to the addition of bicycling lanes in Washington, D.C. It began as a discussion about sharing the road but soon disintegrated into an attack on anyone who rides on two wheels. Said Kornheiser of cyclists:

"And they all, my God, with their water bottles in the back, and their stupid hats, and their shiny shorts, they're the same kind of disgusting posers that in a snowstorm come out with cross-country skis on your block. Run them down."

Kornheiser later modified that to, "So you tap them. I'm not saying kill them."

That inspired two tweets from Armstrong today:

"Listening to Tony Kornheiser's comments/rant on ESPN radio re: cyclists. Disgusting, ignorant, foolish. What a complete f-ing idiot."

And:

"Not happy about Kornheiser's comments? Let them know @ESPNRadio980, @ptishow, and here http://www.espn980.com/info/contact_us.php"

Maybe we can get Kornheiser to do a timely followup, on what he thinks of Hannah Storm wearing biking apparel.

-- Tom Weir

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 PM.