ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 09-13-2006 10:23 AM

Hey Scott -

What's your take on GURU, or Cervelo's???

They seem a bit less for more than the Cannons.

card 09-13-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Stock or custom? If stock, what size? :evil

custom. I thought I wanted a carbon fiber bike, but when I rode the LBS owners Moots, I was hooked. Extremely comfortable. I'll be 60 next month and 3-4 hrs in the saddle is not much problem on the moots.

knary 09-13-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Hey Scott -

What's your take on GURU, or Cervelo's???

They seem a bit less for more than the Cannons.

I'm no expert. I just research and dream a lot. :lol3
Gummee is the one to ask. :nod

I've never touched a GURU. A few friends have Cervelos. They're light and strong, but I've never ridden them. Oh, and these particular bikes are kinda fugly. :D

I tend to think that for the kind of riding you and I do, any half decent bike is better than us and that we should buy whatever presses our buttons. IOW, that the top shelf technological wonder that weighs less than a couple peaches is gross overkill.

knary 09-13-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by card
custom. I thought I wanted a carbon fiber bike, but when I rode the LBS owners Moots, I was hooked. Extremely comfortable. I'll be 60 next month and 3-4 hrs in the saddle is not much problem on the moots.

The little local shop I go to has a small fleet of moots (and other dreamy machines - more high end gorgeous metal sculptures than flashy carbon with splashy tacky paint jobs). The other day a Litespeed in for service was parked next to one of the moots. The Litespeed looked like it had been built by spastic monkeys in contrast to the elegant moots. I was surprised by the difference in construction.

I've refused all offers to take a moots for a spin. :norton

YakSpout 09-13-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

I've never touched a GURU. A few friends have Cervelos. They're light and strong, but I've never ridden them. Oh, and these particular bikes are kinda fugly. :D

I tend to think that for the kind of riding you and I do, any half decent bike is better than us and that we should buy whatever presses our buttons. IOW, that the top shelf technological wonder that weighs less than a couple peaches is gross overkill.

:huh

You mean I won't be able to enter and win my first race just by spending $7K on a bike? But it works that way for motorcycles, dammit!

:wink:

Zodiac 09-13-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Yeah but with that reasoning, we should all be riding KLR's....:lol3

I know you're right. I'm sure Basso is good enough for me at least for another yr.

I do get pretty competitive out there though. I can't freaking help it. When a guy huffs past me, but then slows up 20' ahead, I know he's pushing my buttons. I find it fun to tail him for 3 miles until he either turns off the path or kills himself to get away from me..:lol3

I would say 90% of the cyclist I see at my night rides feel it's their duty to pass everything no matter how bad it hurts. I see these guys grunting and moaning to get past me, dying to show me who's boss.:huh

I can't imagine the carnage I could do with that Systm 6....:evil :evil :evil

YakSpout 09-13-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

The little local shop I go to has a small fleet of moots (and other dreamy machines - more high end gorgeous metal sculptures than flashy carbon with splashy tacky paint jobs). The other day a Litespeed in for service was parked next to one of the moots. The Litespeed looked like it had been built by spastic monkeys in contrast to the elegant moots. I was surprised by the difference in construction.

Ducati 999 vs. Gixxer 1K?

knary 09-13-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
:huh

You mean I won't be able to enter and win my first race just by spending $7K on a bike? But it works that way for motorcycles, dammit!

:wink:

:lol3

I used to buy the most expensive condoms I could find for just that reason. :augie

knary 09-13-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
Ducati 999 vs. Gixxer 1K?

Pretty close.
But make that Ducati something even more special, more unique.

knary 09-13-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Yeah but with that reasoning, we should all be riding KLR's....:lol3

I know you're right. I'm sure Basso is good enough for me at least for another yr.

I do get pretty competitive out there though. I can't freaking help it. When a guy huffs past me, but then slows up 20' ahead, I know he's pushing my buttons. I find it fun to tail him for 3 miles until he either turns off the path or kills himself to get away from me..:lol3

I would say 90% of the cyclist I see at my night rides feel it's their duty to pass everything no matter how bad it hurts. I see these guys grunting and moaning to get past me, dying to show me who's boss.:huh

I can't imagine the carnage I could do with that Systm 6....:evil :evil :evil

:evil

The compromise is finding that bike that doesn't get in your way. It sorta sounds like the Basso is.

FWIW,
I still really like my bike, even though it isn't terribly fancy or nice or beautiful. I have absolutely no regrets about buying it. I just wish I rode it more. My complaints - it's a little stiffer than I really want. It's fine for 50 miles, but a little punishing for a 100+ miles. And it isn't the most stable bike at low speeds - same geometry as the relatively twitchy Scott CR1.

And, yes, I try to pass everyone I think I possibly can. I've got a good eye for the weak ones in the herd - they're my peers. :lol3

card 09-13-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

If you want to continue to work on your studio, it is probably a good idea not to ride one. :lol3

knary 09-13-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by card
If you want to continue to work on your studio, it is probably a good idea not to ride one. :lol3

:nod :nod :nod

:lol3

YakSpout 09-13-2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Pretty close.
But make that Ducati something even more special, more unique.

Britten vs. Gixxer 1K?

Britten... :tb

Mulekick 09-14-2006 03:09 PM

Holy box full of crazy bike goodies man!!!..:huh

Thanks Gummee!!!!....:clap

I'll get pics up later....:deal

Zodiac 09-14-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulekick
Holy box full of crazy bike goodies man!!!..:huh

Thanks Gummee!!!!....:clap

I'll get pics up later....:deal

You'd better, I wanna see the farkle box too:D

For some reason I can't get motivated to ride today, feeling tired, and it's been raining here all day.

Nights like this I really wish I had a stiff fork on the Klein to ride the wet.

So did you nab that "Attitude" frame Mule?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:04 AM.