ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 09-17-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Rough calculation from the elevations I can find shows it to be an 8% slope(climbs 85' in 1/3 mile - did I do the math right? :lol2). Whatever the size of the hills around you, they define what a hard hill is for you (applies to a lot more than riding, eh?).

http://knary.smugmug.com/photos/96017800-L.jpg

I dunno, seems like more than an 8% to me, I notice roadie teams (I guess they're amateur racers) sometimes having a hardtime crankin up Harlem hill.

That one paricular climb is probably 1/3 mile, but it leads to 3 more small climbs right after which kick your ass if you're pushing it.

Again, like a rollercoaster after 3 loops.

It wouldn't be so bad if the entire circuit wasn't so sharp/tight, and had some long straight level road.

I know we got nothing on NP climbs.

But fuck it, I'm seein big improvements every week. I'm becoming a more efficent rider, and feel at one w the bike. Losing some weight too, which I find is helping in the uphills.

knary 09-17-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
But fuck it, I'm seein big improvements every week. I'm becoming a more efficent rider, and feel at one w the bike. Losing some weight too, which I find is helping in the uphills.

:clap
That's a big piece of what's got me hooked - seeing the improvements week to week, month to month. I've mentioned it before, but I remember the first ride up Mt.Tabor killing me (300 ft climb over 1.3 miles - the easy route). I was stopping every 50 yards gasping for breath, not believing anyone could ride up it. Now I sprint up sections of it and will ride up and down it again and again. I've got a long ways to go and getting better is addictive.

knary 09-17-2006 07:56 PM

p.s. the :lol2 was for my math not the hill

2whlrcr 09-17-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry.mc
Man 50 is screaming on skinny tires.

As I have mentioned before, there seems to be a aerodynamic wall at about 50? It's really hard to push past that, unless you've got a strong tailwind.

Fastest I've been on a single is 57mph and 62mph on a tandem. I'm getting old (smart) enough now, I worry about a deer jumping out in front of me, when I'm going that fast.:eek1

It's hilly enough around here, that you're always going at least 40mph down the hills, unless you're riding the brakes. And of course, about 6mph going up.:cry :cry :cry

patch29 09-18-2006 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
I worry about a deer jumping out in front of me, when I'm going that fast.:eek1

I visited my mom's last year, she lives on a big hill, riding downhill on two different days a deer jumped out in front of me. I almost hit it on the first day. :bluduh I certainly wasn't expecting to see one on the next day, but I think I was at least a little slower and it was not as close.

Gummee! 09-18-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Looks sweet. I have ridden a few good bikes lately. My Dad's new S Works Tarmac, and another Specialized - Alleze (06) that a friend just brought.

The Basso has some nice Ti welds too, but it does more flexing than I like. I don't think I'd go w another Ti bike, at least not as a 2nd steed.

Either way I'm dreaming - no $$$$$$:cry

:D

New Ti bikes ride completely different than that Basso. :nod Swaged, butted, folded, spindled, and mutilated tubes see to that.

More good news: Pearl Izumi offered me a PT position in their outlet store in Gilroy. :rayof Woot! That's great news 'cause while I've GOT bike parts, my shorts are about wore out! :clap

I'll letcha know what happens.

First cross race is next weekend. No, I'm not ready. I'm still sick actooly. :sick Cough is still with me, nose is still running, so I'm gonna go ride around the course and act like a bicycle racer again. Surely NOT gonna be competetive! :nah Not enough intensity in my legs for that.

M

Gummee! 09-18-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
So how soon until we have one of us traveling to ride their bicycle with another advrider? :lol3

I've been to SC to ride with Pierce already.

:nod

That count?

M

gambrinus 09-18-2006 01:59 PM

My top speed on the big hill during my commute is 48mph. I'm man enough to say that I nearly wet my pants when I hit a bit of sand at the bottom when I was begining to slow for the stop sign...

I'm not sure that I WANT to go any faster on the skinny tires...

RW

terry.mc 09-18-2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
My top speed on the big hill during my commute is 48mph. I'm man enough to say that I nearly wet my pants when I hit a bit of sand at the bottom when I was begining to slow for the stop sign...

I'm not sure that I WANT to go any faster on the skinny tires...

RW

RW,

Is that one of the hills alongside 470 by chance? It seems like you might be able to get that kinda speed there pretty easily (the spot I hit 42-ish is right next to Santa Fe...)

knary 09-18-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I've been to SC to ride with Pierce already.

That count?

M

2whlrcr 09-18-2006 04:26 PM

I guess you guys all need to come to Iowa, where the BIG hills are.:rofl

Gummee! 09-18-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

:oscar

M

dtsv650r 09-18-2006 04:37 PM

Bare Bones
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...Bicycle001.jpg

pierce 09-18-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

:lol3 :rofl :huh

yeah, right.

http://hogranch.com/files/Bitmaps/ourplace3.jpg

my place is at the foreground, its at 300' elevation about 3 miles from the ocean (directly 'behind' the field of view here)... those mtns in the background are 2000-3000' or higher, and are about 10 miles away, an 'easy' ride...

and these are just the LOW mountains of the coast range... you want the HIGH mountains, go visit the sierras a couple hours east of me, where you can go from 0 to 10000' in a few dozen miles. :deal

PhilSpace 09-18-2006 04:39 PM

They are magic. This is a great thread. Evil day at work, bad attitude, came home, got on bike and went for a 40 minute ride looking for hills. Came home attitude is better and made a martini - one step forward, two steps back :1drink

The best thing is, I feel better riding. My knees to twinge a bit now after 300 miles on the GT. I think I might take the peg lowering kit off and it it's still cool, sell'em to some other old geezer :gerg :deal

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 AM.