ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

EvilGenius 06-03-2010 01:32 PM

Well I went into this with a budget of $200.

I am 6' tall, 32" inseam, ~220lbs.

I really just wanted to get something cheap, that I could do some leisure riding on, some fitness and maybe some short range transportation.

I got it at target for $150 (and also got 10% off a schwinn child's trailer at the time of purchase that we also wanted). There were two other bikes there that were a little nicer than this for under $200, but both had the larger heavier rims for MTB instead of the 700c tires this one has. One had both a front and rear derailer and front suspension, but had a bigger heavier frame. The second bike was still nicer, but was really just a cruiser bike and had just a single gear drive.

They all have the same handlebars, the other two had lower seat heights and were heavier over all.

The one I have is the closest I could find to a road bike. Has 7 gears, 700C tires, taller seat height than the other two, a decent rack for strapping down stuff, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
well, those spring seats are mostly horrible, fat and cushy is actually -not- a good thing for riding any distance. you have that seat really low, are you very short legged, or do you not have sufficient leg extension when you're pedalling? when seated, and your foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke, your leg should be almost but not quite straight. the 'ball' of your foot (the widest part) should be centered on the pedals.

Ive heard that super cushy seats are no good. It's not very soft or hard and it is kind of wide, but doesn't seem wide enough to be a huge issue as far as I can feel.

With the seat height where is it, my leg is mostly straight at the bottom of a stroke, I could go maybe 1 more inch up before I run the risk of loosing traction on it at the bottom of the stroke or losing contact entirely from the pedals.

I do pedal on the balls of my feet.

Quote:

the handlebars seem rather high relative to the seat. that style of handlebars tend to put your wrists at bad angles if you have broad shoulders although this is hard to gauge from the angle of the bars in the photo and not knowing how big you are....

I have them up high for when we ride for leisure. It's a little more comfortable for short distance slow rides.

I've never measured my shoulder width, so I can't tell you what it is at the moment.

Quote:

that bike has a couple strikes against it from the get-go, its got a steel 'ashtabula' style crank with a stamped steel chainring, which is heavy, it looks to have chromed steel bars, which are rather heavy.

They're either poorly chromed or mildly polished (i'm leaning towards polished)

No flaking or corrosion yet.

Quote:

can you get someone to take a picture of you from the side, and with the camera at about seat/bar height, and with the pedal closer to the camera all the way down and your foot on it like you're riding? taking this picture from farther back, say 30 feet away, with a longer telephoto setting would be better than up close with a wide angle lens (less geometrical distortion) This would let us armchair pundits make better recommendations.

I'll see what I can do.

Quote:

said 'local bike shop' would likely sneer at you if you brought that in for a fitting, unless its hte shop that sold it to you (and the sort of shop that sells that bike likely doesn't know what 'fitting' means...)

I ain't that dumb. :lol3

I know this bike is cheap and I went into buying one with that intention. It's just to give me something to ride until I get a job again and some more extra cash.

I don't expect it to do anything other than what it does.

Zodiac 06-03-2010 01:36 PM

Hey L (we rode to the 7 factory together that time in boston, had a few beers if you recall).

I'm sure Rich can tell you more trail riding than I, but I'll chime in. There's many trails just a couple miles north of the George Washington Bridge, along the Pallisades that overlooks the Hudson. There are also quite a few trails (called the Greenbelt) in Long Island, with quite a few techie single track paths through the hilly areas of the North shore. Both are easy drives, the GWB is even rideable from the city (I know guys that ride to the Pallisades from Queens and Brooklyn.

There are a few online maps for riding in and around the city. I know there are some paths in southern Brooklyn as well near the ocean, etc.

PM me if you need any advice on the other factor - neighborhoods..... I've lived all over NYC for the last 20 years so I might be good advice (or maybe not):lol3 .

EvilGenius 06-03-2010 02:01 PM

I want to go again!

:uhoh

RichBeBe 06-03-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
Hey, I've got a couple of questions for the NYC guy:

I think you've mentioned MTBing before. What kind of trail options are there close to the city?

Do any rock climbing, or know anyone who does? Any decent climbing/bouldering gyms? (Gym climbing for weekdays, after work; I know the Gunks are close enough to go to on the weekend.) This one's more for my girlfriend -- she's the avid climber. But I like to go pull plastic for fun once or twice a week, too.

For about 18 months now I've been working remotely for a company based in Manhattan, and for about 12 of those they've been trying to talk me into relocating down there so I can be in the office full time. I've resisted, because Boston has good options for the outdoor stuff we like close at hand, and is close enough for easy weekend getaways to fun stuff elsewhere in New England.

The pressure to move is getting higher, and it'd be a great career move for me, so it's hard to resist. It'd be nice to know that our recreational options won't take too much of a nose dive.

Short answer
Great indoor climbing with Brooklyn Boulders opening last year, and tons of legal mountain biking in or around the city. That said most of the trails are of the shorter variety. I have never lived anywhere other than NYC and don't ever plan on leaving. Having traveled a lot to me there is no other place.
Details:
Climbing:
Brooklyn Boulders their website sucks. But they have a good amount of top roping and more bouldering than any gym i have seen.
Island Rock in Plainview which is on Long Island about 35 minutes from Queens
There is also Chelsea Piers which I have never been to.
The only real outdoor option is the Gunks which is about an hour forty-five form the city and is world class.
Some people boulder a few places in Manhattan including Rat Rock in Central Park.
Biking:
Legal trails in Queens and Manhattan which are shorter but pump tracks, drop offs, logs, etc. Not long routes. But if you leave Queens lots of riding on Long Island and Westchester County. No real hilly stuff, but lots of great riding. I highly recommend Blue Mountain in Peekskill. For riding links check out CLIMB or NYCMTB what we don't have are the long gravel road, double track trails of New England.
If you get more serious drop me a PM, I climb and ride and my gf is really into climbing. Plus I do know the city well and where to live and not live.
BTW I am going to be moving at the end of the month and I have a great apartment for an ADVer since I have a private garage, backyard, hose, etc in Forest Hills, Queens that will be available.

Dahveed 06-03-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Seems like a joke to most of you, but I just rode 10.8 miles in 1 hour and 1 minute with no stops.

That's more than twice my previous distance record of 4 miles in 1 hour with two breaks.

:clap

:knary

Keep up that rate of improvement and you'll be riding disgustingly high milages in short order. You riding WRL? Be sure to stay hydrated, its frig'n hot out there.

Mercury264 06-03-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

A cheapo Schwinn Gateway.

http://agreensmudge.smugmug.com/Othe...46_QqjzQ-L.jpg

It felt like it was mostly weight on my palms making my ring and pinky fingers numb.

After a while I felt it in my fore arms too.

I also neglected to mention I ran over a squirrel.

You done good...not sure I'd want to ride 5 miles on that let alone 10 :lol3

I was in a similar position to you I suspect a few years ago. I wanted to get into cycling but not sure I would like it, so I didn't want to spend a ton of money etc. Someone I knew had just bought a bike from bikesdirect.com so nearly 3 years ago I bought a $500 Motobecane there and have not looked back since. I have had to replace the rear wheel (I am lard arse) and the front derailleur in about 6K - I'm even on the same tires and chain.

Dahveed 06-03-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

I also neglected to mention I ran over a squirrel.

Good one! We have so many squirrels around here, it can be hard to ride and not get a squirrel.

Saddle issues seem to be a common issue with any 2 wheel vehicle. Most cyclists have owned multiple saddles in their lives and may have several collecting dust in the garage. I do. The padded cycling shorts help quite a bit and some of the basic ones are fairly cheap. But getting a better saddle will also be a hugh improvement. Also the pitch of the saddle is a factor too. Regardless of the saddle, you should expect some discomfort the first ride or two as your ass gets used to riding, but prolonged pain is a sign of a poor fit or bad saddle.

All on the bike pains are the result of position on the bike. Had you purchased from a local bike shop (such as Richardson Bike Mart), they would have taken care to ensure the bike you purchased would have been the correct size. For more money, you can get the bike fitted to you very well. This starts getting expensive if you have an unusual fit that requires things be moved about (longer stems are not free).

You'll find out quickly that high-end cycling gear gets expensive in a hurry.

EvilGenius 06-03-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Keep up that rate of improvement and you'll be riding disgustingly high milages in short order. You riding WRL? Be sure to stay hydrated, its frig'n hot out there.

With my current rate of improvement I'll be doing 100miles in 30 min on monday and 1000miles in a couple of minutes two weeks from now.

WRL?

I went half the distance before I even felt the need for hydration, but I've been hitting the bottle the rest of the day, but haven't felt dehydrated at all.

EvilGenius 06-03-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
You done good...not sure I'd want to ride 5 miles on that let alone 10 :lol3

I was in a similar position to you I suspect a few years ago. I wanted to get into cycling but not sure I would like it, so I didn't want to spend a ton of money etc. Someone I knew had just bought a bike from bikesdirect.com so nearly 3 years ago I bought a $500 Motobecane there and have not looked back since. I have had to replace the rear wheel (I am lard arse) and the front derailleur in about 6K - I'm even on the same tires and chain.

After tinkering and getting things in adjustments it's turned into a surprisingly smooth and comfortable bike.

Aside from the numbness parts, I never once had any issues with the function of the bike at all today.

EvilGenius 06-03-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Good one! We have so many squirrels around here, it can be hard to ride and not get a squirrel.

Saddle issues seem to be a common issue with any 2 wheel vehicle. Most cyclists have owned multiple saddles in their lives and may have several collecting dust in the garage. I do. The padded cycling shorts help quite a bit and some of the basic ones are fairly cheap. But getting a better saddle will also be a hugh improvement. Also the pitch of the saddle is a factor too. Regardless of the saddle, you should expect some discomfort the first ride or two as your ass gets used to riding, but prolonged pain is a sign of a poor fit or bad saddle.

All on the bike pains are the result of position on the bike. Had you purchased from a local bike shop (such as Richardson Bike Mart), they would have taken care to ensure the bike you purchased would have been the correct size. For more money, you can get the bike fitted to you very well. This starts getting expensive if you have an unusual fit that requires things be moved about (longer stems are not free).

You'll find out quickly that high-end cycling gear gets expensive in a hurry.

Yeah, my uncle is an avid cyclist and spent about 3-4k on the bike he bought several years back (dunno make or model).

I must say though, for how cheap this bike is I've been thoroughly impressed with it once I got things in adjustment.

Dahveed 06-03-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

WRL?

White Rock Lake

Dahveed 06-03-2010 04:52 PM

Hey Merc, you wear one of these?
http://www.foska.com/images/product_...rmite-road.png

I've ridden with a guy that does and claims he loves the stuff.

EvilGenius 06-03-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

White Rock Lake

Ah. No, I live next to DFW int.

If I ride at a lake it's going to be grapevine.

Quote:

Hey Merc, you wear one of these?
http://www.foska.com/images/product_...rmite-road.png

I've ridden with a guy that does and claims he loves the stuff.

Isn't that stuff highly explosive?

:hide

pierce 06-03-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

I think I'm going to clean my cleaner as its gotten pretty gritty inside, maybe I'll use some paint thinner for that, then go one more round on one of the chains and see how that works before I start taking the chains off the bikes and doing the full soak.

bingo, this was the trick. was a lot of grit accumulated inside my old chain cleaner, I took all the wheels and brushes out of it, and cleaned everything in a coffee can with some paint thinner and a parts brush... let it dry, then did one more pass w/ WD40 in the cleaner on the chain on my cruiser and voila, all the grit and crunch is gone. shop-towel dried most of the wd40 off the chain, applied a light coat of my favorite lube (triflow), shop-towel dried off most of that, and wow, its like new again. now I just have the other three 'festival' bikes to go... hahahaha.

btw, my old chain cleaner says Made in England, its clear plastic with red moving parts inside, and the swingarm that nominally hooks on the derailleur is also red plastic. no idea what brand it was. its really quite effective, as it has rotating brushes that spin on the sides of the chain, and more rotating brushes that poke through the chain from the top and bottom to clean the rollers and the insides of the plates.

Dahveed 06-03-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Isn't that stuff highly explosive?

:hide

It might be a gut bomb. :uhoh I've never been brave enough to try it.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:08 PM.