ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

brewer90 06-03-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
Hey, anyone have recommendations for road tires? I seem to be in charge of buying new ones for my wife. She needs something that is a good all-arounder, not prone to punctures, and long lasting (she rides 5,000 miles a year or so at this point), without being to slow.

I got her some Vittoria rubino pros last time, they've held up well and had no complaints, but I'm all ears if there's something else I should look at.

I really like the Continental GP4000s http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1014 Yes this store is in England but they ship for free and you'll have the tires in a week. It's the cheapest place you'll find them and these tires meet all of your requirements.

RLK 06-03-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omi
Get a cyclocross bike. You can't beat it for riding in the city.

Are Cyclocross fixies?

I think I found the right tool for the job for free+ farkles. I paid more for the camera than the bike. :deal

http://roundlightknight.smugmug.com/...18_Rzovf-S.jpg

slackmeyer 06-03-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer90
I really like the Continental GP4000s http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1014 Yes this store is in England but they ship for free and you'll have the tires in a week. It's the cheapest place you'll find them and these tires meet all of your requirements.

That's one I'll look into. They seem like a pretty direct competitor to the Vittorias. Had any problems with them? Looking at reviews online, I see a lot of people really like these tires, but it seems like there are a lot of defects too (sidewall blowouts, bead seperation).

The schwalbes look interesting, but the ones linked don't come in a 700cx23. Now I'm looking at the schwalbe durano s- looks like the right sort of tire. She does double centuries and a lot of 100 mile + training rides on a steel specialized allez.

Zodiac 06-03-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLK
Are Cyclocross fixies?

]

No, but you could turn one into a Single speed. A fixie would kill you on a trail or cyclocross stage.

pierce 06-03-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac
No, but you could turn one into a Single speed. A fixie would kill you on a trail or cyclocross stage.

yeah, seriously. fixies are for velodrome track races, and for cafe poseurs.

fixies will kill you on the street too. a college student here darwinned himself on a brakeless fixie by running into the side of a fedex truck making a right in front of him just after a short steep downhill...

kbasa 06-03-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
With my current rate of improvement I'll be doing 100miles in 30 min on monday and 1000miles in a couple of minutes two weeks from now.

WRL?

I went half the distance before I even felt the need for hydration, but I've been hitting the bottle the rest of the day, but haven't felt dehydrated at all.

I try to take a few sips every ten minutes or so. If you feel thirsty, it's too late. On longer rides, I take a little nibble of food and a couple swallows of water as I roll off, then water every ten and a bit of a snack every 20 or so.

It works pretty well for me.

kbasa 06-03-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Yeah, my uncle is an avid cyclist and spent about 3-4k on the bike he bought several years back (dunno make or model).

I must say though, for how cheap this bike is I've been thoroughly impressed with it once I got things in adjustment.

There's a Triatholon place in Florida that will let you trial a seat for a week for $25 before you buy it. Google bicycle seat rental and they should show up. the loca Sports Basement does the same thing.

pierce 06-03-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasa
There's a Triatholon place in Florida that will let you trial a seat for a week for $25 before you buy it. Google bicycle seat rental and they should show up. the loca Sports Basement does the same thing.

dude, he's on a $150 Schwinn 'city bike' he got at Target.

EvilGenius 06-03-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
dude, he's on a $150 Schwinn 'city bike' he got at Target.

But if I get a $150-$200 seat on it, I'll double the value of the bike!

:lol3

dolomoto 06-04-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Hey, anyone have recommendations for road tires? I seem to be in charge of buying new ones for my wife. She needs something that is a good all-arounder, not prone to punctures, and long lasting (she rides 5,000 miles a year or so at this point), without being to slow.

I got her some Vittoria rubino pros last time, they've held up well and had no complaints, but I'm all ears if there's something else I should look at.

I'm impressed with my set of Schwalbe Ultremo DD. Previous to this set, I had 4 flats in 1000 miles...since using the Ultremos, I haven't had a flat so far (1000 miles) and am riding the same routes.

They roll great, grip well (wet and dry) and went on with only a little bit of effort (folding bead).

From the website:

"The top competition tire with all around protection. As well as
the HD Ceramic belt it is also protected by a complete SnakeSkin
fabric. This additional protection works particularly well on the
shoulders and side walls. Cuts by glass shards, or sharp flints are
effectively repelled. Weight and rolling resistance remain low.
Naturally with Triple Nano Compound."

YMMV.

Mercury264 06-04-2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

After tinkering and getting things in adjustments it's turned into a surprisingly smooth and comfortable bike.

Aside from the numbness parts, I never once had any issues with the function of the bike at all today.

:thumb

You're riding, that's the important bit.

Mercury264 06-04-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Hey Merc, you wear one of these?
http://www.foska.com/images/product_...rmite-road.png

I've ridden with a guy that does and claims he loves the stuff.

Not seen one of those actually....I prefer the slimming effects of black :freaky

Don't mind a bit of marmite on toast actually - it's close relative Bovril in a drink is nicer though

Dahveed 06-04-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
Not seen one of those actually....I prefer the slimming effects of black :freaky

Don't mind a bit of marmite on toast actually - it's close relative Bovril in a drink is nicer though

Black jerseys during summer in Texas is not a happy thought. :cry

I'm a big fan of one yeast product - beer! I don't know what Bovril is.

Mercury264 06-04-2010 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Black jerseys during summer in Texas is not a happy thought. :cry

I'm a big fan of one yeast product - beer! I don't know what Bovril is.

Bovril

fullmonte 06-04-2010 06:17 AM

Quote:

My brother does centuries, triathlons, and crit races. He swears by the Hutchinsons for longevity and resistance to flats.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:29 AM.