ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

EvilGenius 06-07-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
I've had good luck with those little sport beans from Jelly Belly.
On hotter or longer rides I carry some of that go-juice in my hydration bladder. Nuun tablets seem to work OK for me.
Loads of water. So far I've managed to not lose but a pound or two. :huh

How long you been riding?

Dahveed 06-07-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
I've had good luck with those little sport beans from Jelly Belly.
On hotter or longer rides I carry some of that go-juice in my hydration bladder. Nuun tablets seem to work OK for me.
Loads of water. So far I've managed to not lose but a pound or two. :huh

+1 on the sports beans, but they're kind of pricey. Any sort of sugary snack will give you an energy boost.

I would avoid putting anything but water in the camelback things - they can be a real pain to clean out. I put water in the camelback and put the energy drink in a bottle.

You can make your own energy drink, but I forgot how.

EvilGenius 06-07-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
You can make your own energy drink, but I forgot how.

Water, salt and lemonaide powder?

:lol3

Mercury264 06-07-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur
(Damn.... three posts in a row... I swear I'm not trying to get my oddometer up!! :rofl)

One other thing I thought about in regards to buying a bike.....
There's a place online called BikesDirect.com -
Their frames are absolute crap but there are a LOT of people who buy a bike from him just for the components because he sells a complete bike for less than you can buy the components individually. LOTS of people buy a bike, disassemble it and then put the components on a frame they have.

Just thought I'd throw that out there :wink:

I bought one from there.

Ironically the only thing that has gone wrong is the rear wheel (I like beer and it shows) and the front derailleur - the frame has been fine. 6K miles and counting...

EvilGenius 06-07-2010 05:44 PM

Also, "sport beans" sounds like a recipe for disaster.

slackmeyer 06-07-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
What do you guys eat before/during/after a ride?

I'm not riding any incredible distances, but I'd like to know what I can consume to help give me more energy or feel less debilitated afterwards.

fig newtons, bagels with cream cheese and jam, clif bars, leftover thai food (with rice, that's key), bananas (dried or fresh), boiled or baked potatos (bring salt) etc. After a ride, I usually have a meal, it's good to eat fairly soon after a ride- helps you recover. Look for things to eat that have a mix of sugars and complex carbs, but don't overlook real food (like the above), it works great for longer rides especially.

Dahveed 06-07-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Water, salt and lemonaide powder?

Yeah, but use the koolade that requires sugar and use about 1/2 the stated amount. Unless you're going really high intensity or more than an hour water is really what you need.

Its been calm lately, but when the wind picks up, I like to ride against the wind on the outbound leg and return with the wind. I had a really bad experience years ago doing the opposite. It was 45 minutes out and about 2 hours back. 2 really ugly, leg cramping hours.

pierce 06-07-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
:nono It wasn't till 8sp that you needed to go to a wider rear end. 5-7 will fit on the same hub. On that bike all ya need to do is go a hair wider on the axle, respace, and redish and he can run up to 8sp without buying new hubs. Going to 9/10/11 is another story...

well, that trek is old enough that it probably has a threaded freewheel, not a modern cassette, so he's pretty much stuck with 6 speed in the rear, I don't think you can get 7 or 8 speed freewheels, can you?? (goes and check's sheldonbrown's site...)... eat my words! http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7 you can. :stoned

Mr Head 06-07-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

How long you been riding?

Since 1980.
Wasted a few too many years in college riding a lot and racing a little to no real affect.
Then got deep into work and commuting and more work and lost my spin.

I thought. Got it back a couple years ago and then last summer broke my ribs job moved locations and has done all sorts of badness to my working out.

That and now, I'm old sore and traveling for work. Bicycles don;t fit so good into that lifestyle. But, I'm not bitter.

OK, maybe a little.
The bean things don't give me heart burn and I've ridden the motorcycle for 1,000 miles with out eating anything other than five beans and a few liters of water.

Zodiac 06-07-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
well, that trek is old enough that it probably has a threaded freewheel, not a modern cassette, so he's pretty much stuck with 6 speed in the rear, I don't think you can get 7 or 8 speed freewheels, can you?? (goes and check's sheldonbrown's site...)... eat my words! http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7 you can. :stoned

I broke the hub down today, it had a cassette, with separate freewheel mech made of brass or some indestructible shit, that had to come off too- to expose a nice clean threaded hub.

It's not going to be a speeded bike anymore, it's going to be an ss for brooklyn lock up duty.

The bbs were in good shape, and larger- unlike the front hub.

The spokes where the cassette was are quite worn down though, so it may be an interesting ride once I get it on the road.

It's a little big for me, so it might be thrown to CL for a couple hundred bucks.

EvilGenius 06-07-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I broke the hub down today, it had a cassette, with separate freewheel mech made of brass or some indestructible shit, that had to come off too- to expose a nice clean threaded hub.

It's not going to be a speeded bike anymore, it's going to be an ss for brooklyn lock up duty.

The bbs were in good shape, and larger- unlike the front hub.

The spokes where the cassette was are quite worn down though, so it may be an interesting ride once I get it on the road.

It's a little big for me, so it might be thrown to CL for a couple hundred bucks.

Wish I lived near NY, I'd take it off your hands.

EvilGenius 06-07-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, but use the koolade that requires sugar and use about 1/2 the stated amount. Unless you're going really high intensity or more than an hour water is really what you need.

Its been calm lately, but when the wind picks up, I like to ride against the wind on the outbound leg and return with the wind. I had a really bad experience years ago doing the opposite. It was 45 minutes out and about 2 hours back. 2 really ugly, leg cramping hours.

Noted!

Zodiac 06-07-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Wish I lived near NY, I'd take it off your hands.

I can't wait to post the before and after pics.

It's been a real bitch degreasing (more like de-gluing_ this old dog.

EvilGenius 06-07-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I can't wait to post the before and after pics.

It's been a real bitch degreasing (more like de-gluing_ this old dog.

How much for the handle bars?

Zodiac 06-07-2010 09:45 PM

I think whoever owned this prior found it inside the gut of a dead whale...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:55 PM.