ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Dahveed 06-07-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I think whoever owned this prior found it inside the gut of a dead whale...

Yeah, I want the next FREE bicycle I get to have been stored in some guys living room and to have been meticulously maintained by a bevy of naked female beauties. In fact, it would be nice if those naked chicks had recently upgraded the components to the top of the line campy stuff. And if the bike came with some of those same hotties, and they also could cook and clean my house as well and maintain my bikes (including the FREE one) and my motorcycle too. Hey, if someone sees somebody giving that setup away for FREE, please send me a pm...

pierce 06-07-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

I can't wait to post the before and after pics.

It's been a real bitch degreasing (more like de-gluing_ this old dog.

goo-be-gone. or really, any vegetable oil. if its really nasty, brush a solvent on, wrap it in saran wrap to keep the solvent from evaporating, and let it sit a few hours, then scrape, repeat.

pierce 06-07-2010 09:59 PM

pssst, I'll be glad to take any of the original Maeda Suntour parts off your hands that you'll be stripping off in your quest to turn it into a fixie :deal

Zodiac 06-08-2010 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
goo-be-gone. or really, any vegetable oil. if its really nasty, brush a solvent on, wrap it in saran wrap to keep the solvent from evaporating, and let it sit a few hours, then scrape, repeat.

This tar laughed at my Goof Off, so I resorted to citric degreaser with zero parts water....:evil

Pickle jars shaken not stirred with many bbs, washers, and bolts has worked so far. The hubs were the worst, had to scrape out the races with an awl. Like tar.

I still haven't degreased the compos yet, not sure if I'll keep or sell em with the bike (I'm unemployed right now) - but if they don't go they're yours.

EvilGenius 06-08-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

This tar laughed at my Goof Off, so I resorted to citric degreaser with zero parts water....:evil

Pickle jars shaken not stirred with many bbs, washers, and bolts has worked so far. The hubs were the worst, had to scrape out the races with an awl. Like tar.

I still haven't degreased the compos yet, not sure if I'll keep or sell em with the bike (I'm unemployed right now) - but if they don't go they're yours.

If something needs degreasing I use a combo of Berrymans parts cleaner, B12 and brake-kleen.

:jump

trailer Rails 06-08-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

well, that trek is old enough that it probably has a threaded freewheel, not a modern cassette, so he's pretty much stuck with 6 speed in the rear, I don't think you can get 7 or 8 speed freewheels, can you?? (goes and check's sheldonbrown's site...)... eat my words! http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7 you can. :stoned

I have seen 9sp freewheels! I'll have to look up who makes them.

Bimble 06-08-2010 06:18 AM

The Dirty Kanza

One racer's perspective:

http://www.gnatlikes.com/gnat-likes-...-race-day.html

:bow

HardCase 06-08-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, but use the koolade that requires sugar and use about 1/2 the stated amount. Unless you're going really high intensity or more than an hour water is really what you need.

Its been calm lately, but when the wind picks up, I like to ride against the wind on the outbound leg and return with the wind. I had a really bad experience years ago doing the opposite. It was 45 minutes out and about 2 hours back. 2 really ugly, leg cramping hours.

I find that diluted Gatoraide (50/50 with water) works well, using anything full strength gives me the sensation of drinking Karo syrup on a hot day. Gak.

I too am a believer in eating dessert last. It's always windy around here, it seems, from one direction or another. I have a number of routes that I ride and will pick the route depending on what the wind is doing at a particular moment. I generally try to ride out against the wind and home with it, makes for a more fun ride and something to look forward to when I'm suffering on the outbound leg. Having said that, I have also found that, at least once I get into decent riding shape, I can actually ride a given course a little faster if I do just the opposite. I treat the outbound leg as an extended warm-up, and then try to hammer it home against the wind. But, like I said, I don't generally try to do that until later in the season and when I'm feeling pretty fit.

What really sucks is when you go out against the wind and then it changes and you end up having a head-wind both ways. Argh. Doesn't happen to me often, I've gotten fairly good at predicting what it'll do around here, but it does happen.....

ducnut 06-08-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur
That's cool! But it'd be like showing up at your favorite riding spot on a Hyosung motorcycle. :wink:

So I hang out with bike snobs..... shoot me. :lol3

Nah. No need to shoot. As others have said, so long as you're riding, I don't care what you're on.

I just read a this a few weeks ago. Absolutely hilarious. Well worth the purchase price.

Quote:

Generally, if you show up for the group ride and then ride everybody into the dirt, it doesn't matter what the label on the frame says. In fact I've heard its really neat to show up with some lame ass brand and administer an ass whooping to some of those bike snobs. I say I've heard, cause I never been able to administer the ass whooping in the first place... :lol3

Our local, TT course record is held by a guy on an old Giant TCR Aero (think road bike with aero bars). TJ Tollakson came out one week and couldn't better the record. TJ is known for his bike splits at the world level. So, for me, it was rather amazing that the local guy is just that badass--really humble, too. As Lance has said, "It's not about the bike".

Dahveed 06-08-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardCase
What really sucks is when you go out against the wind and then it changes and you end up having a head-wind both ways. Argh. Doesn't happen to me often, I've gotten fairly good at predicting what it'll do around here, but it does happen.....

That seems to happen occasionally and more frequently than a beneficial wind change, but those happen too, just very rarely. :lol3

HardCase 06-08-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

That seems to happen occasionally and more frequently than a beneficial wind change, but those happen too, just very rarely. :lol3

I find that sometimes there seems to be a headwind no matter which way I go! Must be my incredible blazing speed. :lol3

nomiles 06-08-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djairo
This is my bike, I have also a MBK racing-bike with Campagnolo group,and a Trek 7100 but since I have my Azor "Ameland" I can't get enough of it:raabia .
It's my daily rider, for all rides in the area, shopping, and go to work.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6622/p1130668.jpg

It is "retro" bike with al modern tecnologie, just as roller brakes, Shimano gearing in the wheel, led front and back lights, aluminium frame, and al bolts in RVS steel.
It ride's very smooth, with the white "big-apple" tyres from Schwalbe.

Frank

Very nice! :thumb :thumb

pierce 06-08-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

oh, small parts? for some reason I was thinking you were de-gumming your bars prior to retaping.

for small parts, I use paint thinner in a jar or coffee can, yes, shaken not stirred.

EvilGenius 06-08-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

oh, small parts? for some reason I was thinking you were de-gumming your bars prior to retaping.

for small parts, I use paint thinner in a jar or coffee can, yes, shaken not stirred.

Also, depending on what the part is, I've had very good results with boiling them in water (with a little borax added) for 10 min.

YakSpout 06-08-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardCase
I find that sometimes there seems to be a headwind no matter which way I go! Must be my incredible blazing speed. :lol3

:rofl

Just had one of those rides a few weeks ago. 40mi loop and we were into the wind on three of the legs... How the hell does that happen? :patch

We just did a 52mi one-way trip from one town to another. (We had some drivers meet us in the other town for lunch and a ride back.) The entire trip was into an 8-10mph headwind. :baldy

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:22 AM.