ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 06-09-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
The biggest effect on cruising speed?

How hard you pedal.

and spin style, mash or spin, mash or spin....:lol3

Askel 06-09-2010 08:03 AM

Mash. Always mash.

Spinning is for dorks on TT bikes. :lol3

ducnut 06-09-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Did they ban race radios this year? I know they talked about it, but I wasn't sure where that ended. A smart DS in the car covers alot of rider stupidity if they have radios.

I haven't seen anything on the TdF for '10. However, I know USA Cycling has banned them for any teams/riders less than Cat1.

Quote:

Oh, c'mon now! :loco

Offblnz 06-09-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac
and spin style, mash or spin, mash or spin....:lol3

Mash and pull fellows, mash and pull!

EvilGenius 06-09-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

What are you riding?

$150 7speed schwinn

Quote:

Tires, clothing (wind resistance and ease of movement)? Has your bike been properly fitted?

700X35C

Tshirt, shorts, "trainning shoes", ball cap.

I bought it at target.

Quote:

If you're in decent shape, and not riding a long ride (in relation to your fitness/training) that sounds a bit slow.

I'm 6' 220lbs and last week was the first time I rode a bike any appreciable distance since highschool.

I usually ride about 10 miles.

Bimble 06-09-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Mash. Always mash.

Ya can't help but spin with cyclocross gearing.

:amazon

:lol3

YakSpout 06-09-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
$150 7speed schwinn

700X35C

Tshirt, shorts, "trainning shoes", ball cap.

I bought it at target.

I'm 6' 220lbs and last week was the first time I rode a bike any appreciable distance since highschool.

I usually ride about 10 miles.

You just started riding, those tires are nothing but rolling resistance, the bike weighs a metric shitload and your clothing has the same drag coefficient as a Jeep Wrangler. I'd say that 15mph average is pretty damn good given all of that.

Riding on my own, I usually run about 18-19mph avg depending on wind, but in a group, we sit about 21-23mph in the flats when we take turns pulling. Hills/wind will change that quite a bit...

Dukeryder 06-09-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

I think you're going to like this bike....

Don't let these guys stress you out about fit. It looks like the bars on your bike aren't much higher than the seat and that's pretty close to how I run mine- with almost the same amount of seatpost showing.

If it works, run with it. If it doesn't, it'll be obvious soon enough. :lol3

Yeah with the Mountain Bike (I put one of those goofy adjustable stems on it to raise the bars too) I would get lower back pain after about 20 mins; with this new set up I'm not experiencing that at all. I know my set-up looks goofy but after testing various bikes and different set ups on my Mountain bike I think this is gonna be okay for me and I may have to experiment with some other setups too.

Another part of this goofy set up is that proportianally I have a long torso with shorter legs. So I needed that longer toptube so my back isn't hunched up; with shorter top tube bike my back is in an arch which has always caused me back pain even when I was in much better shape. If I were more athletic I'm sure I wouldn't have such comfort issues but I'm built like a linebacker not a cyclist.

Zodiac 06-09-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
You just started riding, those tires are nothing but rolling resistance, the bike weighs a metric shitload and your clothing has the same drag coefficient as a Jeep Wrangler. I'd say that 15mph average is pretty damn good given all of that.

I agree:D

EvilGenius 06-09-2010 01:05 PM

Y'all are not going to talk me into spandex.

At least not until I lose about 50-60lbs.

:bluduh

ducnut 06-09-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukeryder
Another part of this goofy set up is that proportianally I have a long torso with shorter legs.

That's what I wondered.

Quote:

I'm built like a linebacker not a cyclist.
I think everybody here is built like something other than a cyclist. Otherwise, we'd be doing that professionally, instead of sitting here talking about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Y'all are not going to talk me into spandex.

At least not until I lose about 50-60lbs.

:bluduh

Lycra is slimming, if you go with bibs, as shorts seem to accent the spare tire. And, if you're not picky about graphics, eBay is stuffed with brand new cycling kits at a steal. Just stay away from white shorts/bibs, as they become transparent when they get wet from sweat and rain. Many manufacturers offer casual fitting jerseys. Usually, they're a solid color.

EvilGenius 06-09-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Lycra is slimming, if you go with bibs, as shorts seem to accent the spare tire. And, if you're not picky about graphics, eBay is stuffed with brand new cycling kits at a steal. Just stay away from white shorts/bibs, as they become transparent when they get wet from sweat and rain. Many manufacturers offer casual fitting jerseys. Usually, they're a solid color.

Do they make like a full body one piece?

Dahveed 06-09-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Mash. Always mash.

Spinning seems to have been effective for Lance Armstrong. He keeps a high pedal cadence.

Dahveed 06-09-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut

The only color for shorts, IMHO, is black. Jersey's can and should be brighter.

Dahveed 06-09-2010 04:13 PM

Evil, two kind of local rides to test your fitness.

Texas Time Trials

Hotter then Hell Hundred

Both are fine rides.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:10 AM.