ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Dahveed 06-16-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
The chainring is not bolted on, in his second pic you can see where the ring is pressed on to the crank near the bb spindle. There are triple ring cranks that use the same setup.

You should be able to buy a triple crank for less than $40, probaly will need a new bb ($20-25), shifter (single friction thumb shifter, $5-10) and a cheep front der ($15-20). If you pay a mechanic to do it you are probaly looking at least $50 in labor.

The rear der on those bikes are usually tourney long cage and should be able to handle a 3 ring setup.

If you're looking to go faster, than you only need a double crank. 52x42. Most people go to a triple cause their ass is too fat and they need lower gearing.

So, you're gonna spend about $150 on a bike that maybe cost $200 and your going to end us with a $200 bike that doesn't shift too well. Its like putting a v6 in a crappy little econo-car. You don't end up with a sports car, you end up with a crappy little econo-car with a bigger engine.

What you can easily do is get a smaller cassette in the back. I bet yours is huge! Most of those comfort bikes come with easy gearing. Get one with the smallest cog about an 11 or 12 toother. That will help your top-end speed.

Gummee! 06-16-2010 07:53 AM

Hey Dahveed: its PEDAL not peddle! :mrskbasa

Pilot: get another bike and save that one for bombing around the neighborhood with the SO. I didn't see any places for cables/housing/etc. on the bike you have now. With enough effort you COULD do it, but why? That bike ain't meant for top speed. :nono

My story: So I talked Stick into going for a ride yesterday. She wanted to see where the Greenway here in Cheyenne goes. So we went. Ended up at the end of it and off on some country roads. Topped out at appx 41kph on a slight downhill with a tail wind. Then we found out where the road went! :bluduh Turned right and turned gravel. :baldy So we hoofed it back to the main drag into town.

We hit College and turned left with traffic. My seat's seemin a bit low, so I unclipped my left foot and aimed at the back of this Ford pu. Next thing I know, I'm being shoved from behind as Stick runs into my rear wheel on the curb side! She falls over and I ask if she's all right.

She gets up. Chainring marks on her right leg.

I look down at my rear wheel and its pretty well taco-ed. :nod No riding THAT home. At this point, I'm pretty well steaming. Sun Mistrals don't grow on trees any more y'know! For that matter, box-section rims are seriously hard to find!

She calls the friend we're staying with and she comes and gets me. Stick rides home.

Anyone here have a lead on a Sun Mistral rim? 32 holes. I need one.

There's more, but this isn't inmates....

M

Flaco 06-16-2010 07:55 AM

Toxic Bicycle Thread

Maybe not safe for work. Teaser from singletrack.com about the making of the 2011 Cyclepassion Calendar.

Gummee! 06-16-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
Toxic Bicycle Thread

Maybe not safe for work. Teaser from singletrack.com about the making of the 2011 Cyclepassion Calendar.

:tb

M

EvilGenius 06-16-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasa
Just my 2 cents. Once you get into being in motion on a bicycle, it's pretty hard to give it up. :freaky

I thoroughly enjoy it, on my course there's a few turns I like to throw it into when no one's around.

But it's the damn heat that keeps me from riding more than 10 miles a day.

:knary

Dahveed 06-16-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I thoroughly enjoy it, on my course there's a few turns I like to throw it into when no one's around.

Yeah, don't worry, November will be here soon enough.

pilot 06-16-2010 10:57 AM

That bike Kbasa mentioned looks pretty good. There's a dealer pretty close to me, so I'll check it out tomorrow. I still need to sell a motorcycle. :patch

I got my bike computer yesterday and got it installed. On my ride this morning, it acted as a de-liar, so to speak. My big ride is 2.4 miles. :gerg

pierce 06-16-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot
That bike Kbasa mentioned looks pretty good. There's a dealer pretty close to me, so I'll check it out tomorrow. I still need to sell a motorcycle. :patch

I got my bike computer yesterday and got it installed. On my ride this morning, it acted as a de-liar, so to speak. My big ride is 2.4 miles. :gerg

those cyclo-puters aren't accurate unless you've properly entered your front wheel size. thats rim -and- tire. what you really want is the radius of the front wheel as its sitting on level ground with your weight on it like you're riding, so measure from the ground to the midline of the front axle. if it wants that as circumference, multiply times 6.28 (2*pi*R, dontchaknow)

pilot 06-16-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
those cyclo-puters aren't accurate unless you've properly entered your front wheel size. thats rim -and- tire. what you really want is the radius of the front wheel as its sitting on level ground with your weight on it like you're riding, so measure from the ground to the midline of the front axle. if it wants that as circumference, multiply times 6.28 (2*pi*R, dontchaknow)

The distructions had a table to set it up with based on tire size and wheel size.

Bimble 06-16-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

...But it's the damn heat that keeps me from riding more than 10 miles a day.

You'll adapt in time. Keeping hydrated is crucial and a Camelback goes a long way to fending off dehydration. Keep an eye out for sales. Campmor is a good site to frequent in that regard.

pierce 06-16-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

What I'm trying to accomplish with the Schwinn is more top speed. I got to thinking (I know-dangerous) maybe I could just change the chain ring to a larger size and get that.

k, first, count your front chain ring teeth. I like to use both index fingers, starting on adjacent teeth and count two at a time moving both fingers tooth by tooth til they meet on the other side. naturally, take the chain off the chain ring when you do this.

now, find a trashed rat-bike that has a single or double chain ring on a cotterless crank thats the size you want. Kids mountain bikes are a good source for low quality but usable parts, although some of these have chainrings that are spot weldeded together, but then screwed onto the crank spider, oops. In this college town, we have a couple 'used bike shops' that have a wealth of old parts for cheap. If its a double ring, take off the other, and take both cranks (so they match, dontchaknow). you need a 'crank puller' to get a cotterless crank off.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/c...er-labeled.jpg
about $12-15 for the tool

pedals can be taken off with an open end wrench if you want to keep the pedals you have now, but note that one side has a backwards thread, and the pedals should have "L" and "R" stamped on the inside of the threaded part, don't mix them up. when you install cotterless cranks, clean and grease the square end of the axle thoroughly, then tighten down on the bolt that goes into the end to seat the crank. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html for more details.

if the new ring is only a few teeth bigger than what you have, your chain is probably OK. if its more than a few, you might need a longer chain, here's where I'd bring it to a LBS and have them deal with that. For road-sized spiders (130mm), Sugino has every conceivable ring size for about $25 each, in quality aluminum rings that have teeth good for single rings.

plan B is a smaller rear cluster/cassette. Standard Shimano 7 speed cassettes can be had as small as 11-28 tooth.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#7

1 tooth in back is about the same as 3-4 in front (if you have a 44 tooth front and a 13 rear, and you go to a 11 tooth rear, thats 44:13 -> 44:11, which is 3.4:1 -> 4.0:1, or the same ratio as a 52:13.

edit: oh, if you're changing your cranks, note the length of your current ones... its a number stamped on the back of each crank, like 170 (170mm). if you have long legs, a longer crank (say, 175) can be a good thing, and give you more power, but a shorter crank is easier to spin faster. too long of a crank on a given frame can make it easier to scrape a pedal, which is a Bad Thing.

kbasa 06-16-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

The best riding is eeeeeaaaaarly. I was out of the house on Sunday for a 50 miler at 5:45. No cars. No wind. Nice and cool. I was home at 10am.

The world is a big empty place in the morning and a bike is a great way to be out listening to the birds waking the world up.

kbasa 06-16-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Righteous! The computer's interesting, isn't it?

Tina loves hers. She'll be out just riding along with a big smile on her face.

And consider looking around on Craigs list for one. They're a common enough bike and lots of folks buy them, start hanging their laundry on them and then sell them.

EvilGenius 06-16-2010 01:27 PM

Got any info on these bars?

http://agreensmudge.smugmug.com/Othe...50_QfrR4-L.jpg

http://agreensmudge.smugmug.com/Othe...31_a4Ram-L.jpg

They're the only two in my price range that aren't in womens sizes.

Blur 06-16-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Got any info on these bars?

Looks like Salsa named some bars for my wife. :rofl

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:41 PM.