ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Bimble 06-17-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Not me.

I'm not sitting in my office pouring over the leaderboard, contemplating my own entry someday.

No sireee.

:D

This year, I'm rooting for this guy: http://trackleaders.com/tourdividei....=Tsai__Patrick

He did the Almanzo 100 with his full Tour Divide setup.

And if he can do it.... :eek1

:lol3

Very cool. I had wondered if any of the midwest riders had done any of the AGRS.

Well, we're off to a vacation trip this Saturday, so not much until we get back. Then it'll be back to training for this fall. I'm really looking forward to doing the Ragnarok and Almanzo next year.

:pierce

:lol3

Gummee! 06-17-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
Dumb question. Can you run a SRAM chain with Shimano Ultegra components?

I kind of like the ideal of the master link in the SRAM chain over having to install new pins with the shimano.

:ear joc

:nod

I am

M

Mercury264 06-17-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimble
Dunno who here follows such things, but the Tour Divide commenced this past Friday, June 11th.

http://tourdivide.org/

5-time winner, Matthew Lee is once again in the lead and is riding approx 154 miles per day.

13 out of 48 have already retired from the race. Hypothermia is a very real concern with record rainfall and snow on the course. Mechanicals are ever present.

The 2008 Tour was filmed and is playing at various locations.
We saw it Tuesday night and were both just awe-struck at the labor of this race.

http://www.ridethedividemovie.com/screenings/

I don't know if I'll ever attempt such a race, but man is it dream-inspiring!

Thanks for the heads-up. Tickets booked for the showing :clap

pierce 06-17-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Camelback on sale here. Someone else sent me this link. I've never bought from these people so I can't vouch for them - they may be crooks for all I know...

The sale only lasts today.

phew, thats a huge one, tho. for cycling, you want a thin sleek one like the Classic.

pierce 06-17-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alejo
Just ride it like it is and stop messing with it.

My next build is a coaster brake .... I don't want any cable so I can swap bars back and forth.

hope you don't ride where they have significant hills. ain't no coaster brake for the front wheel which has 80% of your stopping power, and coaster brakes heat up fast on downgrades and fail. catastrophically.

Bimble 06-17-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
phew, thats a huge one, tho. for cycling, you want a thin sleek one like the Classic.

Opinions will invariably vary. :D

I'm partial to my 100 oz. Camelback. At 30-40 oz/hour, that sucker gets drained every long ride.

:loaded

EvilGenius 06-17-2010 11:48 AM

I don't think it'll make much of a difference considering my current riding outfit.

Uncle Pollo 06-17-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

hope you don't ride where they have significant hills. ain't no coaster brake for the front wheel which has 80% of your stopping power, and coaster brakes heat up fast on downgrades and fail. catastrophically.

For the hilly stuff I have a 2007 fuji roubaix.

To tool around town I want a coaster bike.

Now I use only my legs to stop on the fixed gear/

pierce 06-17-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

For the hilly stuff I have a 2007 fuji roubaix.

To tool around town I want a coaster bike.

Now I use only my legs to stop on the fixed gear/

well, I hope this is a fat tire bike, with a long wheelbase. back-brake-only on skinny 700c would be serious suckage if you had to stop fast. back brake only on a short wheel base bike just skids. I'm actually pleasantly surprised how much braking I have with just my back v-brake on my fat tire 7-speed cruiser-thing, its got a rather long wheelbase, so the weight doesn't transfer nearly as much to the front on a stop. the front v-brake is still the hard core stopping power (and holy crap, these 26x1.9 geax evolution tires got some good bite on pavement).

Uncle Pollo 06-17-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

well, I hope this is a fat tire bike, with a long wheelbase. back-brake-only on skinny 700c would be serious suckage if you had to stop fast. back brake only on a short wheel base bike just skids. I'm actually pleasantly surprised how much braking I have with just my back v-brake on my fat tire 7-speed cruiser-thing, its got a rather long wheelbase, so the weight doesn't transfer nearly as much to the front on a stop. the front v-brake is still the hard core stopping power (and holy crap, these 26x1.9 geax evolution tires got some good bite on pavement).

I don't ride THAT aggressively nor fast anymore.

I am saving my knees and joints for hiking.

pierce 06-17-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

I don't ride THAT aggressively nor fast anymore.

I am saving my knees and joints for hiking.

I don't either but stuff happens. dog on bike trail jumps out in front of you, you come around the corner and a drunken bum lurking under the bridge staggers backwards just as you're approaching, etc etc. day in the life of santa cruz. I like to be able to stop, FAST.

Uncle Pollo 06-17-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

I don't either but stuff happens. dog on bike trail jumps out in front of you, you come around the corner and a drunken bum lurking under the bridge staggers backwards just as you're approaching, etc etc. day in the life of santa cruz. I like to be able to stop, FAST.

Well ... I either stop fast with whatever setup I have or we will have a very bruised drunk or dog or both.

Dahveed 06-17-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Don't fill it up all the way and it will be a thin sleek one. If he ever upgrades to a mountain bike the larger capacity one is better. Also, there are some good rides west of the DFW area where stores are infrequent.

Hey, Evil. You know to only use water in the Camelback. Put the sugar loaded stuff in a bottle. It can be challenging to get that sugar and stuff out of every bit of hose on the Camelback. Water only keeps it cleaner and easier to keep clean. Just FYI in case you didn't know that.

EvilGenius 06-17-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Hey, Evil. You know to only use water in the Camelback. Put the sugar loaded stuff in a bottle. It can be challenging to get that sugar and stuff out of every bit of hose on the Camelback. Water only keeps it cleaner and easier to keep clean. Just FYI in case you didn't know that.

Yeah, that's what I've heard.

They make little pills or something you can put in there to help keep it clean, but I'd rather just use water.

EvilGenius 06-17-2010 01:41 PM

My little bike computer went wonky some time back and doesn't really work anymore.

At first I suspected it was the battery door because it was loose and it seemed to work fine after I tightenend it up, but now if I push down on it or pull up on it even slightly (or go over bumps) it resets itself and I loose all my info.

Oh well, it was only $12 and the mapmyride app on my phone seems to cover all the stuff it told me anyways.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:58 AM.