ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

trailer Rails 06-20-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
how tight should you set v-brakes?

On the expedition it might have some type of anti lock device built into the noodle on the front. You may want to replace the noodle for a real one. It makes the brakes really hard to adjust. the womens drop style frame also makes the brakes really hard to adjust.

Blur 06-20-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
My wife completed the terrible two yesterday! 200 miles, 16,000 feet of climbing, in 16 1/2 hours. Hell of a hard ride.

Wow. That's awesome.

Longest, hardest ride I've completed is the Cohutta 100 Mountain Bike Race (@ 102 miles, 12,000+ feet of elevation, 10:35). I couldn't imagine staying on the bike for 16 1/2 hours.

Although, I have a friend who's an endurance mountain bike race promoter. His craziest event? The "Pisgah36" (formerly named "The Most Horrible Thing Ever". He had to change the name because the Forestry Service wouldn't grant a permit if he kept calling it that:lol3). Nucking Futs for sure.

Again, mega kudos to your wife.

pierce 06-20-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
On the expedition it might have some type of anti lock device built into the noodle on the front. You may want to replace the noodle for a real one. It makes the brakes really hard to adjust. the womens drop style frame also makes the brakes really hard to adjust.

nah, nothing like that. the noodles are normal, the back has a longer one, which, hah, is almost threaded around the frame like I'd setup my cruiser.

the adjusters on the brake levers were screwed all the way in. the brakes were almost to the grips before they were locking before. I adjusted them to take up most of the slack, so now they bite sooner and require less effort. I think I'm going to set them in the middle on her bike, but I like them tight on my cruiser, I'm a heavy guy and bomb down hills. I'm loving these cheap brakes, they got all kinda power and are plenty progressive.

I've gotta do something about the front sidepull on the old trek I got my daughter, she says the brakes are too... nothing... barely... LOCKED! I think she needs to practice modulating the front going down a grade. she doesn't like going down fast hills.

its an odd brake, one of these...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/...712de4dc30.jpg

both pivots are on the same side, so the arms are rather asymmetric. the right hand shoe, to the left on that picture, has its pivot on the other side, but seperate from the pivot for the left hand shoe (to the right of the pic). yet, somehow, the shoes seem to stay reasonably parallel when they approach the rim. If I ever tear it down to clean and lube it, I'll have to take pics, I've never seen anything quite like it.

trailer Rails 06-20-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

I've gotta do something about the front sidepull on the old trek I got my daughter, she says the brakes are too... nothing... barely... LOCKED! I think she needs to practice modulating the front going down a grade. she doesn't like going down fast hills.

both pivots are on the same side, so the arms are rather asymmetric. the right hand shoe, to the left on that picture, has its pivot on the other side, but seperate from the pivot for the left hand shoe (to the right of the pic). yet, somehow, the shoes seem to stay reasonably parallel when they approach the rim. If I ever tear it down to clean and lube it, I'll have to take pics, I've never seen anything quite like it.

That is a dual pivot brake. Most road bikes come with them these days. Very powerful. Just tell her to get used to the power. Once she gets used to it, she will love it.

pierce 06-20-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

That is a dual pivot brake. Most road bikes come with them these days. Very powerful. Just tell her to get used to the power. Once she gets used to it, she will love it.

ahhh! this is the road bike brake I'm used to, heh.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_JS1yca5KB-0/Sx...0/IMG_5135.JPG

kbasa 06-20-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
Knocked out a 66mi day today. Rough as the last 30mi were into a gnarly wind... But our century training is progressing well. Kbasa's century report has us inspired. :D

Awesome! :clap

kbasa 06-20-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

My wife completed the terrible two yesterday! 200 miles, 16,000 feet of climbing, in 16 1/2 hours. Hell of a hard ride.

I rode a measly 25 miles out to where the lunch stop was to see her for a few minutes.

:bow :bow

zippy 06-21-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

I rode a measly 25 miles out to where the lunch stop was to see her for a few minutes.

beyond impressive !!:clap

trailer Rails 06-21-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

ahhh! this is the road bike brake I'm used to, heh.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_JS1yca5KB-0/Sx...0/IMG_5135.JPG

The dual pivot brakes put out twice if not more power. It is pretty sweet stuff. Campy still specs single pivot brakes on the rear because they are lighter and you dont need as much power on the rear brake.

ducnut 06-21-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

I think your daughter might be a brake pad change away from bliss. There are all kinds of pad options out there. One of the board's mechanics might be able to steer you toward a more progressive pad brand/compound.

As posted elsewhere, those brakes are dual-pivot. One neat feature is that you center them by using the screw there on the top. Here's one of TRP's versions. It's a little clearer view of how they pivot.
http://www.trpbrakes.com/ppic/uj6uuglcsaaichs_b.jpg

Gummee! 06-21-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot
Is the end of summer a good time for buying a used bike like it is motorcycles? I found a few on Craigslist, but not the model Dave told me about. I think I'll wait till cooler weather and try to steal one then. :D

The end of summer is a good time, but the model year changes later on around Interbike. New models usually hit the stores later on in the fall.

M

Gummee! 06-21-2010 09:21 AM

@ Pierce: I usually set up my brakes so they're completely locked up when the lever's just brushing my knuckles. The theory is that your hand is strongest as a fist... If you et em right, they're not mushy. :nah Could be the arms are too far apart... Could be...

I'll second the 'anti-lock' on the top of the front noodle on 'comfort bikes.' Ugh. Makes things way mushy. :nod

To answer the rest of the c-bak questions: I've had a few c-baks now. Starting with the original neoprene one and progressing thru a few others. I've never stuck anything but agua in em. :nah I've heard bleach takes the ickies out, but there's an aftertaste. Takes forever and a day to get that out. :nod Mebbe the sanitizing stuff that you use to clean beer taps would do better? (thinking out loud here...)

M

jocflier 06-21-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

WOW.:clap And I throught my little 50 this Saturday was a big deal to me.

You go girl....:clap

Blur 06-21-2010 09:27 AM

If you only put water in your hydration pack, you'll (almost) never have to clean them.

If you do need to clean them, a few denture tabs and hot water works wonders.

pierce 06-21-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

The dual pivot brakes put out twice if not more power. It is pretty sweet stuff. Campy still specs single pivot brakes on the rear because they are lighter and you dont need as much power on the rear brake.

that one on my picture is off my old 1975-ish Motobecane, a classic Nuevo Record ... I need to tear down all the metal bits on that bike and go over them with NevrDull wadding, then lube and reassemble. That and find the right size o-ring for the brake adjusters, the original adjusters rotted away.

My boy wants to take it up to college with him next year :( HSU Arcata bikes tend to turn into rust buckets, and even tho this old bike is beat to hell, its all vintage campi and has that sweet vintage 531 steel sport/touring ride.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:49 PM.