ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

RLK 06-15-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Wrong! Bicycles Inc is a full service shop. This larger location gives them more space for more choices of product. More choices in product is a good thing in my book. I'm always leery of the real small shops that try to sell you on what they have in stock.

Plus, I like to look at the product. I dislike asking about a product only to have the sales guy grab one and say "here you go". When that's happened in the past I've found out that I got sold the premium product, you know the $15 ultra-light tube when what I really wanted was the standard $6 tube.

I like knowing my mechanic and the greybeard that trained him. I'm not new at this. Its good to feel tight with a shop.

Everyone finds their own way.

EvilGenius 06-15-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLK
I like knowing my mechanic and the greybeard that trained him. I'm not new at this. Its good to feel tight with a shop.

Everyone finds their own way.

Can't see it in my pics, but right by the front door is the mechanic's bay.

They do all their bike assembly and servicing right there in front of you and don't have a problem shootin the shit either, but won't let it affect their work schedule.

RLK 06-15-2010 10:16 PM

The ammount of inventory... and seriously, that building used to be a grocery store, no?

They are trying. I appreciate that.

EvilGenius 06-15-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLK
The ammount of inventory... and seriously, that building used to be a grocery store, no?

They are trying. I appreciate that.

I think it was one of those monstrous fabric stores for about 10 years, then they did a face lift on it when they took over.

pilot 06-16-2010 02:35 AM

What I'm trying to accomplish with the Schwinn is more top speed. I got to thinking (I know-dangerous) maybe I could just change the chain ring to a larger size and get that.

I was also looking at different bikes. I found a Giant Cypress I like, but didn't want to pop for it if I could get away with it. KLR rider, you know.

Kbasa, I'll check into that bike. Thanks. And you're right about the riding thing. I think I tipped over that cliff edge.

trailer Rails 06-16-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
think you could take off all the plastic and take another picture? :D

I can't tell if the chain ring is screwed onto to the crank spider or not. 4 bolt cranks/chainrings are somewhat uncommon.

The chainring is not bolted on, in his second pic you can see where the ring is pressed on to the crank near the bb spindle. There are triple ring cranks that use the same setup.

You should be able to buy a triple crank for less than $40, probaly will need a new bb ($20-25), shifter (single friction thumb shifter, $5-10) and a cheep front der ($15-20). If you pay a mechanic to do it you are probaly looking at least $50 in labor.

The rear der on those bikes are usually tourney long cage and should be able to handle a 3 ring setup.

Uncle Pollo 06-16-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot
What I'm trying to accomplish with the Schwinn is more top speed. I got to thinking (I know-dangerous) maybe I could just change the chain ring to a larger size and get that.

I was also looking at different bikes. I found a Giant Cypress I like, but didn't want to pop for it if I could get away with it. KLR rider, you know.

Kbasa, I'll check into that bike. Thanks. And you're right about the riding thing. I think I tipped over that cliff edge.

More top speed?

Get a bigger front ring instead of gears, something like a 42.

You can top at 20 without looking like the windmill from hell.

And it is actually easier to change the sprockets on the rear wheel, and you could get the bigger one to be a 32 and you would climb stuff that your firetruck reasonably could not.

Dahveed 06-16-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
The chainring is not bolted on, in his second pic you can see where the ring is pressed on to the crank near the bb spindle. There are triple ring cranks that use the same setup.

You should be able to buy a triple crank for less than $40, probaly will need a new bb ($20-25), shifter (single friction thumb shifter, $5-10) and a cheep front der ($15-20). If you pay a mechanic to do it you are probaly looking at least $50 in labor.

The rear der on those bikes are usually tourney long cage and should be able to handle a 3 ring setup.

If you're looking to go faster, than you only need a double crank. 52x42. Most people go to a triple cause their ass is too fat and they need lower gearing.

So, you're gonna spend about $150 on a bike that maybe cost $200 and your going to end us with a $200 bike that doesn't shift too well. Its like putting a v6 in a crappy little econo-car. You don't end up with a sports car, you end up with a crappy little econo-car with a bigger engine.

What you can easily do is get a smaller cassette in the back. I bet yours is huge! Most of those comfort bikes come with easy gearing. Get one with the smallest cog about an 11 or 12 toother. That will help your top-end speed.

Gummee! 06-16-2010 07:53 AM

Hey Dahveed: its PEDAL not peddle! :mrskbasa

Pilot: get another bike and save that one for bombing around the neighborhood with the SO. I didn't see any places for cables/housing/etc. on the bike you have now. With enough effort you COULD do it, but why? That bike ain't meant for top speed. :nono

My story: So I talked Stick into going for a ride yesterday. She wanted to see where the Greenway here in Cheyenne goes. So we went. Ended up at the end of it and off on some country roads. Topped out at appx 41kph on a slight downhill with a tail wind. Then we found out where the road went! :bluduh Turned right and turned gravel. :baldy So we hoofed it back to the main drag into town.

We hit College and turned left with traffic. My seat's seemin a bit low, so I unclipped my left foot and aimed at the back of this Ford pu. Next thing I know, I'm being shoved from behind as Stick runs into my rear wheel on the curb side! She falls over and I ask if she's all right.

She gets up. Chainring marks on her right leg.

I look down at my rear wheel and its pretty well taco-ed. :nod No riding THAT home. At this point, I'm pretty well steaming. Sun Mistrals don't grow on trees any more y'know! For that matter, box-section rims are seriously hard to find!

She calls the friend we're staying with and she comes and gets me. Stick rides home.

Anyone here have a lead on a Sun Mistral rim? 32 holes. I need one.

There's more, but this isn't inmates....

M

Flaco 06-16-2010 07:55 AM

Toxic Bicycle Thread

Maybe not safe for work. Teaser from singletrack.com about the making of the 2011 Cyclepassion Calendar.

Gummee! 06-16-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
Toxic Bicycle Thread

Maybe not safe for work. Teaser from singletrack.com about the making of the 2011 Cyclepassion Calendar.

:tb

M

EvilGenius 06-16-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbasa
Just my 2 cents. Once you get into being in motion on a bicycle, it's pretty hard to give it up. :freaky

I thoroughly enjoy it, on my course there's a few turns I like to throw it into when no one's around.

But it's the damn heat that keeps me from riding more than 10 miles a day.

:knary

Dahveed 06-16-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I thoroughly enjoy it, on my course there's a few turns I like to throw it into when no one's around.

But it's the damn heat that keeps me from riding more than 10 miles a day.

:knary

Yeah, don't worry, November will be here soon enough.

pilot 06-16-2010 10:57 AM

That bike Kbasa mentioned looks pretty good. There's a dealer pretty close to me, so I'll check it out tomorrow. I still need to sell a motorcycle. :patch

I got my bike computer yesterday and got it installed. On my ride this morning, it acted as a de-liar, so to speak. My big ride is 2.4 miles. :gerg

pierce 06-16-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot
That bike Kbasa mentioned looks pretty good. There's a dealer pretty close to me, so I'll check it out tomorrow. I still need to sell a motorcycle. :patch

I got my bike computer yesterday and got it installed. On my ride this morning, it acted as a de-liar, so to speak. My big ride is 2.4 miles. :gerg

those cyclo-puters aren't accurate unless you've properly entered your front wheel size. thats rim -and- tire. what you really want is the radius of the front wheel as its sitting on level ground with your weight on it like you're riding, so measure from the ground to the midline of the front axle. if it wants that as circumference, multiply times 6.28 (2*pi*R, dontchaknow)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 PM.