ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Cat0020 06-24-2010 02:12 PM

Bravo Longo!!!

Jeannie Longo won her 57th national title at age 51.

How many wins or national wins does Merckx have?

EvilGenius 06-24-2010 02:16 PM

Just finished 10 miles in less than 1 hour!

:clap

<iframe src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=29ac9ee3e854776e46e1277a44583ac6&u =e&t=ride" height="450px" width="550px" frameborder="0"><a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/tx/euless/560127740940695757">iMapMyRide: Jun 24, 2010 2:56 PM</a><br/><a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/find-ride/united-states/tx/euless">Find more Bike Rides in Euless, Texas</a></iframe><!-- MMF PARTNER TOOL -->

Also, I didn't fill my camelbak all the way up, but it lasted from the very start right up to the very finish.

Uncle Pollo 06-24-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Good point about the tipping. I think I might build something like this and ceiling mount it. Problem with hanging each bike from the ceiling is the amount of space I would lose under it. I do not think my bicycle could hang and have a dirt bike sit under it. My ceilings are low.
That said I might be able to keep my old garage for a $100 a month and use it as a storage/workshop for some motorcycle projects.:clap

I used to hang them from both wheels.

Even the car fits under it.

pierce 06-24-2010 03:12 PM

talked to my neighbor the boilermaker/welder. says he thinks it should do just fine, but he's busy til Sunday... So I stripped off an inch of paint on all sides of the split, which actually goes halfway around the tube. When I pulled the seat post out, I realized, oh crap, its NOT as long as I thought, there was probably just about 5" in the tube, and the crack is just about where it ended... It *used* to go 8" in, but I jacked the seat up another 3" to get better leg extension for my recent round of rides leading up to yesterdays 25ish miler... I'm pretty sure I know how it bent too, I hit a rather serious bump I didn't see and landed kinda hard on the seat. the aluminum post is bent a bit too.

dayum, I need to lose weight.

hey, anyone know anything about Jamis bikes? someone is selling a frame+fork for a Jamis 'commuter'... something like this, http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...uter&Type=bike

looks to have a seatpost, quill, and crankset in his pic, too.

I'm sorta wondering if I could get away with 26x1.9 wheels in a frame meant nominally for 700x38. that or I'll have to score a set of 700c wheels, ideally 36 spoke, at least in back.

kbasa 06-24-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
You'll get there eventually. . . . The foxy fall century looks like a great one. I need to start spending more time on the road bike, so I can see my wife on the weekends.

:lol3

I think that's why she wants to ride Team with me next spring.

kbasa 06-24-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
I think I recently saw a advertisement for a drug to treat this love of hills problem. I know people like that and they tend to be small and in shape - the opposite of me...

I'm actually doing SAG duty on Saturday for the Death Ride team. They're running a 120 mile trip that day around Marin. Jeebus.

kbasa 06-24-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Moving in with my girlfriend and trying to look at storage options for our bicycles. We currently have five bicycles and will most likely end up with six. Also have a bunch of motorcycles and other gear so we need to conserve garage floor space.
Has anyone ever used one of the hanging bicycle tree racks?
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...m/image_89.jpg

If we have the height we need (I will measure later) this seems to be the ideal solution. The only con i see is that it is a pain in the ass to get the inner bikes off. But we both use one bike for day-to-day riding so those would go on the end. The mountain bikes do not get used as much so they could go on the inside.
Open for any other comments or suggestions, but wall space is not really an option.

The local bike rental joint here in SF uses something similar. There's is essentially something like a clothes rack, but the horizontal rod has a series of hooks on it to hold the bikes.

kbasa 06-24-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Just finished 10 miles in less than 1 hour!

<iframe src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=29ac9ee3e854776e46e1277a44583ac6&u =e&t=ride" height="450px" width="550px" frameborder="0"><a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/tx/euless/560127740940695757">iMapMyRide: Jun 24, 2010 2:56 PM</a><br/><a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/find-ride/united-states/tx/euless">Find more Bike Rides in Euless, Texas</a></iframe><!-- MMF PARTNER TOOL -->

Also, I didn't fill my camelbak all the way up, but it lasted from the very start right up to the very finish.

:thumb :thumb

skwidd 06-24-2010 04:25 PM

Fundraiser this weekend for cyclist injured in SUV rampage

A fundraiser is planned for this weekend at The Old Clamhouse to help Alan Casajeros, one of four cyclists injured on June 2 when a motorist intentionally plowed into them with a sport utility vehicle.

Casajeros, 39, endured 19 hours of intensive surgery at San Francisco General Hospital after becoming a victim of the six-minute hit-and-run rampage, which occurred in San Francisco's Mission and Potrero Hill neighborhoods. He was the most critically injured of the four victims. The impact left him with serious head injuries, including bleeding in the brain, damage to his face, and the loss of his front teeth. He was released from the hospital on June 14, according to SFGH spokesperson Rachael Kagan.

Casajeros has worked as a waiter at The Old Clamhouse on Bayshore Boulevard for 12 years, according to coworker Maria Anderson, who said he was “an excellent employee.” Anderson said she received a call from SF General Hospital after the accident occurred. While hospital staffers were unable to get much information to find out who they should notify, he mentioned in his delirium that he had to call in sick at the Clamhouse, Anderson said, so they phoned the restaurant.

“It was horrendous,” Anderson said. “He literally was going from his home to pick up milk.” According to a friend of Casajero’s, Kellie Arechiga, he was biking home when the blue Nissan Rogue SUV struck him.

Arechiga said Casajeros is the best friend of her children's father, and like a member of the family. She said he loves going for bike rides with the kids, and he often cycles to and from work. Since his release from the hospital, he’s been staying with Arechiga and her family in Redwood City, she said. “He’s just recovering. He knows us, and remembers everything,” she added.

Meanwhile, his friends and coworkers organized the fundraiser to help out with his monthly expenses, and visited him in the hospital. Many cyclists and supporters have come forward to donate money and lend helping hands. “The outpouring of support has been really kind, and really sweet,” Anderson said.

David Mark Clark, 39, is facing trial for the June 2 road rampage, and is being held without bail in the San Francisco County psychiatric lockup. Clark pleaded not guilty to four counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault with a deadly weapon (to wit: a car) and three counts of battery causing serious bodily injury. His next court date is July 27, to set a date for a preliminary hearing.

The fundraiser will be held on Sunday, June 27, from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. at The Old Clamhouse, 299 Bayshore Blvd, near Oakdale Avenue. $20 gets you a plate of food, one free drink, and two raffle tickets. There will also be live music and a DJ.

Dahveed 06-24-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
talked to my neighbor the boilermaker/welder. says he thinks it should do just fine, but he's busy til Sunday... So I stripped off an inch of paint on all sides of the split, which actually goes halfway around the tube. When I pulled the seat post out, I realized, oh crap, its NOT as long as I thought, there was probably just about 5" in the tube, and the crack is just about where it ended... It *used* to go 8" in, but I jacked the seat up another 3" to get better leg extension for my recent round of rides leading up to yesterdays 25ish miler... I'm pretty sure I know how it bent too, I hit a rather serious bump I didn't see and landed kinda hard on the seat. the aluminum post is bent a bit too.

dayum, I need to lose weight.

hey, anyone know anything about Jamis bikes? someone is selling a frame+fork for a Jamis 'commuter'... something like this, http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...uter&Type=bike

looks to have a seatpost, quill, and crankset in his pic, too.

I'm sorta wondering if I could get away with 26x1.9 wheels in a frame meant nominally for 700x38. that or I'll have to score a set of 700c wheels, ideally 36 spoke, at least in back.

The issue with smaller wheels is the brakes don't hit the rim. You may be able to modify for that but I'm sure it will involve modifying the frame, either adding braze-ons on the fork and seat stays or maybe something else. Perhaps a new fork with a disc brake for the front?

Maybe you can get a longer seat post or get one and have the welder neighbor make it longer. You definitely don't want it ending where the crack is again.

Dahveed 06-24-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwidd
Fundraiser this weekend for cyclist injured in SUV rampage

A fundraiser is planned for this weekend at The Old Clamhouse to help Alan Casajeros, one of four cyclists injured on June 2 when a motorist intentionally plowed into them with a sport utility vehicle.

David Mark Clark, 39, is facing trial for the June 2 road rampage, and is being held without bail in the San Francisco County psychiatric lockup. Clark pleaded not guilty to four counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault with a deadly weapon (to wit: a car) and three counts of battery causing serious bodily injury. His next court date is July 27, to set a date for a preliminary hearing.

I wish all the cyclists injured in this attack good luck.

How the fuck you do have a 6 minute rampage with your SUV and then have the balls to plead not guilty? Drawing and quartering is too good for this guy...

pierce 06-24-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
The issue with smaller wheels is the brakes don't hit the rim. You may be able to modify for that but I'm sure it will involve modifying the frame, either adding braze-ons on the fork and seat stays or maybe something else. Perhaps a new fork with a disc brake for the front?

Maybe you can get a longer seat post or get one and have the welder neighbor make it longer. You definitely don't want it ending where the crack is again.

700c (622mm diameter) to 26" (559mm diameter) is... ummm, oh yeah. lots 31.5mm radius, blah.. ok, never mind. I was thinking it was (630-622)/2 == 4mm, but thats 27" to 700c, whoops..

well, for sure, I'll put the seat post at the lower more relaxed position even if it does mean giving up 3" of leg extension.

I'm thinking of scoring that Jamis anyways, and building it up with some 700c rims and x32 or x38 tires. one thing I'm not sure of is how large a frame it is. finding 700c 36 spoke wheels isn't easy :-/

Mr Head 06-24-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
well, for sure, I'll put the seat post at the lower more relaxed position even if it does mean giving up 3" of leg extension.

I'm thinking of scoring that Jamis anyways, and building it up with some 700c rims and x32 or x38 tires. one thing I'm not sure of is how large a frame it is. finding 700c 36 spoke wheels isn't easy :-/

I have a set of old Campy Super Record 36H low flange hubs, that should be in decent shape. The rims are crap, worn out and cracked at the rivets. I might be talked out of the hubs, though they are vintage...:evil

Long seat posts are not all that uncommon too that wold help with the damaged frame.
Another option is just replacing the entire tube. I had that done after I got knocked off an old Motobecane back in the day and bent all the tubes, but broke the seat tube at the bottom bracket. It rode funny but got me through until my new team bike came in the following summer, but that got hammered between the car and the garage door. But, that is a whole other story..:lol3

I can laugh about it now...:huh

kbasa 06-24-2010 05:42 PM

Page 1000!

pierce 06-24-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
I have a set of old Campy Super Record 36H low flange hubs, that should be in decent shape. The rims are crap, worn out and cracked at the rivets. I might be talked out of the hubs, though they are vintage...:evil

Long seat posts are not all that uncommon too that wold help with the damaged frame.
Another option is just replacing the entire tube. I had that done after I got knocked off an old Motobecane back in the day and bent all the tubes, but broke the seat tube at the bottom bracket. It rode funny but got me through until my new team bike came in the following summer, but that got hammered between the car and the garage door. But, that is a whole other story..:lol3

I can laugh about it now...:huh

Hmmm. those campy hubs are probably thread on freewheel, right? I was hoping for cassette.

the problem with my current frame is, its a ridiculous size, like 1/32nd under 7/8" or something. My current seat post is actually a 7/8 that I turned down on a lathe to fit. :-/

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:49 PM.