ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone have ANY NJ routes/tracks on and off road? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159929)

caffeine 08-17-2006 07:02 PM

Anyone have ANY NJ routes/tracks on and off road?
 
just got a new GPS (garmin 60csx), and Don't really know any good roads to ride close to me.

thanks
-Rob

jbfields3 08-22-2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caffeine
just got a new GPS (garmin 60csx), and Don't really know any good roads to ride close to me.

thanks
-Rob

Usually, if I'm in new territory and want to find the scenic route, I set my GPS to avoide highways and toll roads, then use the direct routing instead of fastest. It has really found some sweet rides for me even in familiar neighborhoods.

baldrick 09-23-2006 07:41 AM

Off road tracks in S Jersey
 
Caffeine:

I have a couple of tracks in the Wharton St. Forest that I took with a magellan sportrak map, and exported to microsoft EXCEL as spreadsheets. I don't know much about Garmin GPS units, but if they can import a track from EXCEL, you're welcome to what I've got. PM me if you're interested.

Slick_Rick_xr650L 10-18-2006 09:52 AM

I plan On creating some Garmin routes for the central NJ area in the coming weeks. What kind of distances are you looking to travel? I was planning on making them in the 100 mile range.

caffeine 10-18-2006 09:59 AM

that sounds like a good range, any offroad tracks would be great too!

ktn 10-27-2006 06:25 AM

Caffiene-

I'm low tech so here's my answer...buy some road map software..I use the Garmin N. America program, I think it's called Navigator, load it into your PC and go to Wharton State Forrest. Zoom into .7 mi. scale and you will see lots of sandr/dirt roads to explore. We do about 50 mi. in a short ride. You can even ride into the neighboring Bass river area and other parks. Just record the track on your unit. My GPS is mounted to my x-bar with a touratech mount...it's cool.

Have fun.

jdbski 10-28-2006 06:32 AM

Ktn is right
 
I went riding in the park area he was referring to and it was fantastic. and if you get lost the roads always seem to intersect a regular highway or county road to help you get your bearings. The only thing i found a pain was the wash down at home after all the fun. New Jersey sand is a bitch.

:clap

tigrebleau 11-04-2006 07:20 PM

Download-challenged
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktn
Caffiene-

I'm low tech so here's my answer...buy some road map software..I use the Garmin N. America program, I think it's called Navigator, load it into your PC and go to Wharton State Forrest. Zoom into .7 mi. scale and you will see lots of sandr/dirt roads to explore. We do about 50 mi. in a short ride. You can even ride into the neighboring Bass river area and other parks. Just record the track on your unit. My GPS is mounted to my x-bar with a touratech mount...it's cool.

Have fun.

Been riding Lebanon/Wharton/Greenwood/Bass River for years. Just bought a GPSMap60C and the Garmin Navigator software. I can get to the tracks you describe, but can not figure out how to download to the GPS. I get the message that the software recognizes a GPS but it doesn't have the capability to accept the downloaded map. The GPSMAP60C has 56Meg of storage, and NJ is only 17Meg, so that shouldn't be the problem. Any advice?

ktn 11-05-2006 05:39 PM

TB-

Just did a 55 mi ride today in Wharton and Bass river. I'm just getting to figure those areas out. My 4th trip...but I found a really cool game trail that was more like snow boarding because of the berms!!!

I have the same unit. You need to have the Waypoint and trip manager software on your PC alomg with City Nav North America or some other program that shows the roads.

Open mapsource first. Go to some point in Wharton and zoom in to 0.& mi scale and put it on highest detail scale. it's to the right of the zoom scale button. If you can see the trailos then you are on the right track.

Zoom out a little and ues the tool with the yellow outline to highlight the map areas you want to transfer to the unit. Turn the GPS on and connect to the PC. Hit the transfer button and follow instructions for transfer maps.
Make sure the GPS is set to read the maps you sent when you are in those areas. PM me if it doesn't work.

Kevin

Divodave 01-09-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktn
TB-

Just did a 55 mi ride today in Wharton and Bass river. I'm just getting to figure those areas out. My 4th trip...but I found a really cool game trail that was more like snow boarding because of the berms!!!

I have the same unit. You need to have the Waypoint and trip manager software on your PC alomg with City Nav North America or some other program that shows the roads.

Open mapsource first. Go to some point in Wharton and zoom in to 0.& mi scale and put it on highest detail scale. it's to the right of the zoom scale button. If you can see the trailos then you are on the right track.

Zoom out a little and ues the tool with the yellow outline to highlight the map areas you want to transfer to the unit. Turn the GPS on and connect to the PC. Hit the transfer button and follow instructions for transfer maps.
Make sure the GPS is set to read the maps you sent when you are in those areas. PM me if it doesn't work.

Kevin

Is it legal to ride there? Do the bikes need to be registered or can you pay a fee?

caffeine 01-09-2007 12:09 PM

it's legal, if your bike is registered. most major trails/roads are on the map...

the single track is not legal to ride though however.

Shalpher 09-03-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick_Rick_xr650L (Post 3429286)
I plan On creating some Garmin routes for the central NJ area in the coming weeks. What kind of distances are you looking to travel? I was planning on making them in the 100 mile range.

Slick_Rick => if you wouldn't mind sharing those rides I would appreciate it. I'm looking for legal offroad routes in Central/Northern NJ area (Hoboken base camp). I'm definitely going down South to the areas described in this thread. I plan on taking the rider course offered down there (http://www.pinebarrensadventures.com).

Jayelwin 09-24-2012 11:44 AM

Can you keep me in the NJ loop on tracks? I'm also in Central NJ and would love to learn about some good off road riding. I'm thinking of checking out Wharton but it's huge and I'm not sure where to start or where to go. I'm about 75 miles north of the Pine Barrens. Would love some programmable routes to try.

525polaris10 11-15-2012 09:22 AM

wharton
 
anyone have any info of wharton? where to park, where to ride? anything would be helpful. thanks guys

Nesurfer99 11-16-2012 05:32 PM

I have ridden Wharton and can share tracks
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys - I have ridden wharton and can share tracks. In some respects it's kinda simple, but when you're new in there you will at first get pretty disoriented. Once you've ridden there a while you'll start to figure it out.

A couple of words of caution about the riding. There is sand, almost always. Sometimes it gets really deep. If you are not an experienced sand rider (I'm don't consider myself to be that good in the sand, and I just got back from hundreds of miles of Baja offroad) and/or you're riding a bigger bike (I ride a 650gs and to me that is on the verge of what is doable) you may be in for a world of hurt. On the other hand, you're probably a much better rider than me and don't have problems in sand. In that case, you're in for a world of fun. I attached a picture of the and.

Second word of caution, and that's about puddles. I got my 650 good and stuck one day and had to walk a mile back to a bridge and get a guy with pickup to pull me out. He was really decent about it but I felt like an ass. That said, I've also driven right through a bunch of them. It's basically a gamble. Have a plan what you're gonna do if you get stuck. Most likely you'll end up walking back to get help like I did.

Enough said. Here's what you do. Take 206 to the ranger station at Atsion. It's pretty hard to miss and is on the east side of 206 across from Atsion lake.Go to google maps, type in atsion nj and you'll see it. If you are trailering your bikes, park there. Keep going east about 10 yards from the park towards the porta potty and you will see a dirt road that circles around behind the ranger station and then turns left (east). This is quaker bridge road and gets alot of traffic as it leads to both a hikers campground and a boat launch. The traffic thins out after the bridge.

You have a couple of choices. The simplest is to just follow quaker bridge road. It will get you deep into the heart of wharton and then will come out on a graded road (after something like 6 or 7 miles) which is called washington turnpike on google maps.Turn right (south) and it will lead you basically to pavement where, if you turn right (west) you'll get to Batsto village (vistor center, toilets, etc).

Or you can turn left (north); you will eventually get to the north end of the park. This can be a bit more confusing, so you want your gps working before you head north. If you stick to the graded roads you'll find your way out alright. If you go off on to the trails you may end up going a ways before you run in to someone or find your way out.

From washington turnpike (graded road), whether you go north or south, there are plenty of trails heading back west. So you can sort of zig zag.

If you do get turned around, the park is of finite dimensions. Use a compass, pick a heading and you will eventually hit graded or paved road.

I do suggest you get Boyd's map, which you can get at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/276/

The toughest trail that I did there was the Batsto fireline road. It is marked as such on the map you can get at the ranger station at Atsion. It starts from the canoe launch in Batsto village. Go to google maps, type in Batsto Village. You'll see the village to the east of Batsto lake. There is a dirt parking lot at the canoe launch on the the west of Batsto lake. On google maps, the road the launch is on is called Batsto village road but it is west of the village. You can see the village from there. From the parking area, follow the dirt road to the canoe launch and then head west. The initial portion is pretty confusing with a bunch of trails going here and there. Just go west initially and then head North. There is really only one trail going North and it is deep sand for at least half of it. I have public map on google maps called Butt Kicker cause that's what it did to me bunches of times. I broke stuff on this one.

I only have wharton tracks as KML files, and it doesn't look like you can upload them here. PM me your email address and I'll email them.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014