ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Too old to skateboard (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195454)

land_shark 01-10-2007 01:37 PM

Too old to skateboard

I'm 31. I'm married. I'm a programmer. I'm 20 lbs. overweight. I ordered a complete board last night on the web. I've never really skated before, but dammit, I'm going to give it a shot. As ridiculous as it sounds, I've been searching around for stuff on the web along the lines of: "too old" "skateboard" "new"... you get the idea. Being confined to a cubicle day in and day out is driving me to find new ways to taste freedom. I'm starting to get this urge to (re)discover all those things I never did when I was younger.

I'm excited to push my boundaries, regain some balance, and quite possibly break my arm (never done that before, either!). 30 is the new 20, right? Wish me luck...
Jason

Askel 01-10-2007 01:39 PM

Anybody over 30 on a skateboard is just as sad as somebody under 30 on a golf course.

PS What'd ya get? :ear

Lencho 01-10-2007 01:41 PM

Don't forget to the Van's - AGATT

land_shark 01-10-2007 01:43 PM

:roflha! I like that. I picked out a black 'Moose' blank (no logo, etc) from an ebay retailer. $25 for the complete set, $21 to ship.

SuperSlug 01-10-2007 01:46 PM

Good luck. Last year I skated for the first time in 13 years. It was fun until I got in an argument with a curb... :huh

Haven't touched it since.

Groinular 01-10-2007 01:47 PM

I used to skateboard. then i tried mountainboarding a few years back (when i was in my 30s). check out mongoose site, or google atb (all terrain boards). they are bigger out west apparently, kind of like snowboarding w/o snow, bigger board, wheels. not fun for just riding straight (need a hill).
cool tho.
now i get my thrills on me bike. arrgh.
let me know if you want any more info (others on this site probably have more experience w/ these)
dan

Zodiac 01-10-2007 01:51 PM

Longboard baby, 38 and I ain't quittin.

Been street surfing since the early 70's.

Of course I only do it once a yr at most now....

(and I always wear a hat......nothing's worse than a bald skateboarder...:deal :lol3 )

Stinez 01-10-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by land_shark
I'm 31. I'm married. I'm a programmer. I'm 20 lbs. overweight. I ordered a complete board last night on the web. I've never really skated before, but dammit, I'm going to give it a shot. As ridiculous as it sounds, I've been searching around for stuff on the web along the lines of: "too old" "skateboard" "new"... you get the idea. Being confined to a cubicle day in and day out is driving me to find new ways to taste freedom. I'm starting to get this urge to (re)discover all those things I never did when I was younger.

I'm excited to push my boundaries, regain some balance, and quite possibly break my arm (never done that before, either!). 30 is the new 20, right? Wish me luck...
Jason

I want to try one of these. :evil

:D

elmontanero 01-10-2007 02:01 PM

Landshark,

Don't wear crappy shoes.. cover your ankles and tape em if necessary... older ankles get worked on a board... Voice of Emergency room Experience...

Start slow and don't expect overnight wins..

Have fun, Still have my Boards, just not as hardcore... Wish I could find a nice empty Half Pipe and the courage to drop in again...

Spode 01-10-2007 02:03 PM

I'm 43, fat, and have a bad back.
I used to rip it up back in the mid-late 70's and early 80's. Ramps, pools, downhill, I did it all.

Now my son is 14 and has a halfpipe in the back yard. He's pretty damn good, probably better than I was at that age.

Of course I had to show him that the old dog still had some bite left in him.

:kurt

Where's my vicodin?

snoid 01-10-2007 02:03 PM

my knees and ankles....

couldn't take much more than pushing around.

be fearless, sk8 or die,

me

land_shark 01-10-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spode
I'm 43, fat, and have a bad back.
I used to rip it up back in the mid-late 70's and early 80's. Ramps, pools, downhill, I did it all.

Now my son is 14 and has a halfpipe in the back yard. He's pretty damn good, probably better than I was at that age.

Of course I had to show him that the old dog still had some bite left in him.

:kurt

Where's my vicodin?

It's amazing what these kids can do. I've been checking out some youTube vids of these little 11 yo ba$tards explaning how to ollie :huh
Jason

Ed_in_miami 01-10-2007 02:38 PM

Shit... i used to do that that stuff when I was real young...

I tried to get back on one of those things a few years ago...

My left foot stayed planted on the ground, while my right foot went for a ride on the skateboard....:yikes

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A forced leg-split is not fun....

doyle 01-10-2007 02:39 PM

These were my early days.

http://doyle.smugmug.com/photos/120785868-M.jpg

Skated non-stop for about 15 years. Now, Mid-thirties, programmer, 2 kids, no time, blah, blah, blah, etc... Haven't touched a board in 7 or so years. My wife keeps telling me to call the local Vans skatepark to find out if they have Senior Skate night. :lol3 :bluduh

Then...my brother sends me a link to a park that opened in the next town. WOW :eek1
http://hauntnet.com/msskatepark/imag...00106_web1.jpg
:tb

dizave 01-10-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyle

That looks sweet :D

There's one near here that keeps making me think I need to put together the board I've got out in the garage. I actually went to get back into the blades right before this snowstorm and the fucking plastic boot broke from being so old. Will I hit the park on new blades or a new board? I don't know.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:02 AM.