ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   nwgs sanctions an "Official Train Thread" (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280215)

nwgs 10-30-2007 03:49 PM

nwgs sanctions an "Official Train Thread"
 
Yup I love trains. All kinds. I have my reasons.

You aint had a tough night till you've spent it in a wheat car waiting for a hookup.

Listen to ole George Strait spin a train song and share with us what you love about trains.

I order you.


Please......:kumbaya



http://www.iinet.com/~englishriver/L...ngine_2005.jpg






<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_VsxMmB-0w&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_VsxMmB-0w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Britmick 10-30-2007 03:51 PM

l was a train spotter in England until the early 70's when they discontinued steam engines on the grounds that they were poluting the atmosphere!!!!!1

Icewalker 10-30-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasmick
l was a train spotter in England until the early 70's when they discontinued steam engines on the grounds that they were poluting the atmosphere!!!!!1

Dunno if they stil do it .. but at one point when I was younger they used to bring out the Flying Scotsman (I think) and the Mallard and run them ... that's probably all stopped now ... friggin virgin rail and whatever else the friggin companies are called now.

Wenduro 10-30-2007 03:55 PM

I've been a railfan for years. I would like to ride the McCloud River railway ROW sometime in the near future. Before they turn it into a fucking nature trail.

http://www.shastasunset.com/

Icewalker 10-30-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenduro
I've been a railfan for years. I would like to ride the McCloud River railway ROW sometime in the near future.

http://www.shastasunset.com/

WTF kind of girly man train is that ... there's no steam coming out of it :lol3

Wenduro 10-30-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewalker
WTF kind of girly man train is that ... there's no steam coming out of it :lol3

Fossil fuel baby. Fossil fuel ! :rofl

nwgs 10-30-2007 04:02 PM

Logging trains. 15% grade. Wow.

What a tool. The stacked wood in the hopper is cool.

Just wood and water was all that was needed.


http://www.fallscity.org/history/zunck/black1.jpg

Britmick 10-30-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewalker
Dunno if they stil do it .. but at one point when I was younger they used to bring out the Flying Scotsman (I think) and the Mallard and run them ... that's probably all stopped now ... friggin virgin rail and whatever else the friggin companies are called now.

Nah,they still run them thro' private companies,& while living in Chester,it was only about 1/2hr to get to Llangollen in N/Wales where they have a permanent privately operated railway with regular daily steam train rides.
They also "borrowed" the Flying Scotsman from it's owners,& it had to be taken there by lorry,& they probably had it rented for a month or so,but the canny Welsh gits area council suddenly changed the weight restrictions on local bridges,& they couldn't get their bloody train back for the rest of the summer while "essential bridge strengthening" work was completed!

Britmick 10-30-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwgs
Logging trains. 15% grade. Wow.

What a tool. The stacked wood in the hopper is cool.

Just wood and water was all that was needed.


http://www.fallscity.org/history/zunck/black1.jpg

Aaaaaaaaah,those were the days!

Kinsman 10-30-2007 04:04 PM

Gramps was a conductor on the 4449, a steam engine, on the SP. I like trains a bunch. Traveled the Coast Starlight many times....some stories there. Me, the wife, and two boys took the Amtrak to Chicago and had a blast.

Besides jumping a slow-moving freight between Manhattan beach and Rockaway, Oregon, I've never done any wildcat train riding. Sounds like fun though. Sometimes I think about riding between Missoula and Spokane on a freight, but haven't got it up to do it yet.

Parrothead 10-30-2007 04:06 PM

I like trains...
 
Fred Eaglesmith has a great song: "I Like Trains"!

nwgs 10-30-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinsman
Gramps was a conductor on the 4449, a steam engine, on the SP. I like trains a bunch. Traveled the Coast Starlight many times....some stories there. Me, the wife, and two boys took the Amtrak to Chicago and had a blast.

Besides jumping a slow-moving freight between Manhattan beach and Rockaway, Oregon, I've never done any wildcat train riding. Sounds like fun though. Sometimes I think about riding between Missoula and Spokane on a freight, but haven't got it up to do it yet.


I spent many a day in the switchyard next to my Grandfathers house.
Was a source of income and hard work.

Catching rides in the caboose and in the cars was a special treat.
Gota know how to swing up into a moving train right or it will kill ya.

Ever ran down a moving train? Hopping over the couples?> What a rush.

http://www.littleriverrailroad.org/i...in148Gorge.jpg

Kinsman 10-30-2007 04:10 PM

Was that at the Brooklyn yards? My dad bought his house near there just so he could hear 'em humping in the night.

Boom!

nwgs 10-30-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinsman
Was that at the Brooklyn yards? My dad bought his house near there just so he could hear 'em humping in the night.

Boom!

Nope it is a switchyard outside of Kelso WA.

On the old Pacific Hwy. The Weyerhouser train runs right by it heading out into the woods and back.

Quite a place to grow up.

infoatnmmoto 10-30-2007 04:27 PM

Grandpa was with the Erie-Lackawanna.
Trains rock. If this country had invested
in the railroads instead of the interstate
highway system we'd be in better shape.
Big trucks suck!
http://www.durango.org/Activities/Ye...ain_winter.jpg


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014