ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Flexing my ABS (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353782)

Triwi 06-19-2008 02:30 AM

Flexing my ABS
 
Does anyone else share my irritation with the switchable ABS? Changing from seal to dirt I prefer to switch off the ABS -
  • If I wish to stabilise the bike when entering, say, thick gravel a dab of the rear brake produces nothing, as the ABS lets go, at exactly the point I most need it.
  • Say I enter a steep blind downhill hairpin having forgotten to de activate, there is again only freewheeling available at precisely the moment the way is blocked with an uphill SUV.
  • So, I stop engine to regroup, ABS defaults on, start up again, 4 sec delay to switch off then catch up to my mates who have also stopped because they thought I had a problem . So I turn off to explain the prob then wait 4 seconds as they take off. So they slow down........... You get the picture
  • Trying to switch off when fully laden with bike not level, holding the awkward switch while reaching over the tankbag for 4 seconds, at the same time stopping bike moving without touching the brakes, can be quite interestng, especially if your pillion moves just at that moment.
Which brings me to my point. Has anybody any advice as to how the ABS system could be modified so that a simple one push button on the bars would deactivate the system, on the fly. I dont mind the default to on when motor starts but it would be nice to switch off without the stop and wait routine each time.
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi

Roeligan 06-19-2008 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triwi
Does anyone else share my irritation with the switchable ABS? Changing from seal to dirt I prefer to switch off the ABS -
  • If I wish to stabilise the bike when entering, say, thick gravel a dab of the rear brake produces nothing, as the ABS lets go, at exactly the point I most need it.
  • Say I enter a steep blind downhill hairpin having forgotten to de activate, there is again only freewheeling available at precisely the moment the way is blocked with an uphill SUV.
  • So, I stop engine to regroup, ABS defaults on, start up again, 4 sec delay to switch off then catch up to my mates who have also stopped because they thought I had a problem . So I turn off to explain the prob then wait 4 seconds as they take off. So they slow down........... You get the picture
  • Trying to switch off when fully laden with bike not level, holding the awkward switch while reaching over the tankbag for 4 seconds, at the same time stopping bike moving without touching the brakes, can be quite interestng, especially if your pillion moves just at that moment.
Which brings me to my point. Has anybody any advice as to how the ABS system could be modified so that a simple one push button on the bars would deactivate the system, on the fly. I dont mind the default to on when motor starts but it would be nice to switch off without the stop and wait routine each time.
Thoughts?
cheers
Triwi

PIA he...

Should try what it gives when you pull the fuse... if no other issues (FI warning, brake issues, ...) you could install a switch on the wire I think...

rgmax 06-19-2008 08:20 AM

I got tired of all that ABS button crap pretty quick.

I wired a ON/OFF rocker switch into the rear brake ABS sensor circuit. When switched off this basically causes the ABS to fault and turn off.

Now when off road I flip the switch to the OFF position the ABS stays off until I want it on again. No need to touch the factory ABS switch.

All it cost me was:

1) On/Off rocker switch
2) 2 male / 4 female wire connectors
3) about 8 feet/2.5 meters 16 ga. wire
4) 1 hour of my time

I had all this stuff lying around so it was free for me, might cost $10-$15 if you had to buy it.

The first step is to follow the glossy black wire from the rear ABS sensor pickup, you will find it ends under the seat above the rear shock.

I stripped about 40-50mm of the insulating cover off the wire leading into the female side of the connector. I cut one (doesn't matter which one ) of the wires and added wire connectors and then ran two wires along the frame rails to my switch on the dash.

When the switch is flipped OFF the signal from the rear ABS sensor is interrupted causing the system to detect a fault and turn off.

Here is a picture of the factory connector under the seat and my "splice" into it. The black stuff you see on my connectors is "liquid tape" for some additional water proofing. ( sorry, the pic could be be better, but you get the idea )

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...7/IMG_1980.jpg

Here is a pic of the dash switch. I got this switch from Radio Shack for $3.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...7/IMG_1977.jpg

To turn the ABS back on just flip the switch back to ON and restart the bike.

You could also tap into the front ABS sensor and accomplish the same thing ( speedo/odo won't work though ).

Roeligan 06-19-2008 10:25 AM

:clap:freaky

Dusty 06-19-2008 01:58 PM

:lurk

frog 06-19-2008 06:05 PM

Does your speedotill work when the switch is off. I usually pull the fus when I 'm going tobe offroad a lot but ten the speedo no worky worky. Hopefully the reae doesn't effect the speedo???:ear

rgmax 06-19-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frog
Does your speedotill work when the switch is off. I usually pull the fus when I 'm going tobe offroad a lot but ten the speedo no worky worky. Hopefully the reae doesn't effect the speedo???:ear

I just remembered another reason why I didn't tap into the front sensor, it is also the signal for the speedometer.

Everything works as normal.

frog 06-19-2008 06:55 PM

:thumb Heading into the garage right now. Thanks I thought either one would cancel the speedo.

ridewestKTM 06-19-2008 09:26 PM

brilliant solution rgmax!!
 
Makes me want to go buy a 990 just to do that

Triwi 06-20-2008 12:37 AM

Thanks Roeleke and Rgmax. I'm sitting here pondering 'Why didnt I think of that?'
Will have a play with wires and fuses and see if I can get a button somewhere near my left hand.
cheers from downunder
triwi

Roeligan 06-20-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triwi
Thanks Roeleke and Rgmax. I'm sitting here pondering 'Why didnt I think of that?'
Will have a play with wires and fuses and see if I can get a button somewhere near my left hand.
cheers from downunder
triwi

show us your final setup if you succeed.. always willing to see other solutions (as I don't want to fuck up stuff :evil and do it nicely :deal)

Triwi 08-06-2008 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally talked to Autosparky who is local Bosch and ABS expert and did the following after being initially motivated by this thread. Linked a wire each into both wires of rear ABS circuit at the plug under the seat. Ran them to the red handlebar switch. Now have instant off with a dab of switch. Whenever the ignition is switched on the ABS automatically resets. No need for a rocker type switch which has to be manually switched which is needed if you loop just one side of the circuit to the bar switch.
Have to say I did querie the sparky about apparently introducing a short circuit by doing it this way but he just smiled and said No. Before doing the 990 I alterred my 650 Dakar and have been running it for a month. Works perfectly. No ill effects whatsoever plus the bonus of automatic reset every startup.
cheers
triwi

Triwi 08-06-2008 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and again

Roeligan 08-06-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triwi
Finally talked to Autosparky who is local Bosch and ABS expert and did the following after being initially motivated by this thread. Linked a wire each into both wires of rear ABS circuit at the plug under the seat. Ran them to the red handlebar switch. Now have instant off with a dab of switch. Whenever the ignition is switched on the ABS automatically resets. No need for a rocker type switch which has to be manually switched which is needed if you loop just one side of the circuit to the bar switch.
Have to say I did querie the sparky about apparently introducing a short circuit by doing it this way but he just smiled and said No. Before doing the 990 I alterred my 650 Dakar and have been running it for a month. Works perfectly. No ill effects whatsoever plus the bonus of automatic reset every startup.
cheers
triwi

So basically, it works the same as the default switch, but without the 3 to 4 second delay?
So the button just interupts the the abs very short after which it automatically disengages?

Triwi 08-06-2008 03:45 AM

On the go instant deactivation. No stop no delay
triwi


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014