ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hacks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Ural paint...2 steps below Testors model paint... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357536)

Spicy McHaggis 06-29-2008 04:20 PM

Ural paint...2 steps below Testors model paint...

Good lord, you LEAN on the paint on one of these motos and it comes off onto your arm.

I just spent a good hour washing the Arctic, after the run up the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. They spread pure calcium cloride onto the road, then go over it with a water truck, THEN they mix it in with a grader...all to keep the dust down.

Problem is - it gets literally EVERYWHERE. I'm quite sure my Ural will rust to pieces before I get it paid off in 2 years.

The springs on the shocks are missing paint - and there was nothing rubbing on them.

So far, that's the only big drawback I've seen with this thing - it's eagerness to rust (who posted the thread with the totally rusted out Ural???) and the shitty paint.

drrider1 06-29-2008 05:50 PM

they are what they are............now break oy that flat black rattle can and get busy:evil

eastbloc 06-29-2008 07:49 PM

My whole damn Ural owes its handsomeness to a rattle can.

http://homepage.mac.com/kozlowc/spor.../picture-3.jpg

You should have seen what that thing looked like after eight years of being driven daily and not washed in the salty mid-Atlantic states!

uraldog 06-29-2008 09:09 PM

hey Spicey , get youself a can of spray oil [not WD 40 ] and spray all the welds and any where two or more pieces of metal come together [ you really should have done that before riding in the calcium ] this will help delay the rust and corrosion factor till you can strip and repaint --the paint on the Retros aint to good either, that was one bitch I've had from day one too :stfu

P B G 06-29-2008 11:12 PM

POR 15, the stuff works great.

I use it alot on car frames, where anytime i'm under and I see a spot of rust I wire brush till nothing is loose, por 15 primer, followed by rubberized frame paint for aesthetics.

On a bike, i'd wire wheel rust, por 15, then paint of choice. As mentioned if you really want long term paint you'll need to redo it. Powdercoat is more durable for offroad environment.

redflasher 06-30-2008 05:08 AM

Anything that isn't painted will rapidly corrode also. I don't know if it is zinc plated or what but everything on my GearUp that isn't chrome-carb tops, caliper mounting, 2wd rod, etc have been etched by a few exposures to Minnesota winter salt.

And the chrome ain't that great either.

Bob in Minnesota
2006 GearUP

SandHog 07-01-2008 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here in Florida the salt air seems to attack any surface not thick with piant. I have been slowly picking at the Patrol with OD Rustoleum every time I work on something. I found the front fender starting to rust through. Green is good...At least you don't have to sand down the Rooskie Chrome before painting.

MooseKiller 07-01-2008 02:17 PM

Anyone use RhinoLiner (or similar such bed liner type thing) to "repaint" their Ural? I'd figure that would be the best upgrade...

Spicy McHaggis 07-01-2008 05:35 PM

I'm going to do the Herculiner bed liner stuff on the inside of the car...might do it on the bottom of it as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseKiller
Anyone use RhinoLiner (or similar such bed liner type thing) to "repaint" their Ural? I'd figure that would be the best upgrade...

LadyDraco 07-01-2008 08:34 PM

I'm get ready to put that stuff on my Trikes Fenders...
My fenders chip big time ....:cry

frederickflintsone 07-01-2008 09:18 PM

insulting testors

you are realy insulting testors model paint by associating it with ural paint.
testors works quite well on plastic.
the company I work for is building a plant in russia, and the horror stories I am hearing from my co workers going there, you just wouldnt believe. the quality that they get in everyday goods is far less than the quality of the cheap chinese goods we get at walmart. having worked in the auto engineering field, I have a grasp of production costs, and I just cant justify any reason for the list price of a 2008 gear up to be as high as it is.
they are charging a super premium price for a sub-standard product.

Spicy McHaggis 07-01-2008 09:36 PM

While I agree with you in principle, I will defend the Urals and their newer, higher costs.

Other than a few "minor" issues, it is not a sub-standard product. German made gears. Nippon-Denso alternator (770 watts, baby!!!). Keihin carbs. Brembo disc brake up front. Ducati ignition system.

And the #1 reason they can justify the higher price - they are the ONLY gig in town that makes motorcycles as sidecars from design to finish. With 2-wheel drive. And reverse.

The supply has always been lesser than the demand. To my knowledge, they haven't had problems selling every moto they've brought into the US of A.

Would I pay the additional price? Damn right I would.

Now...if they would just find some better paint...! :ricky

Quote:

Originally Posted by frederickflintsone
you are realy insulting testors model paint by associating it with ural paint.
testors works quite well on plastic.
the company I work for is building a plant in russia, and the horror stories I am hearing from my co workers going there, you just wouldnt believe. the quality that they get in everyday goods is far less than the quality of the cheap chinese goods we get at walmart. having worked in the auto engineering field, I have a grasp of production costs, and I just cant justify any reason for the list price of a 2008 gear up to be as high as it is.
they are charging a super premium price for a sub-standard product.

Ivan Rider 07-02-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
I'm going to do the Herculiner bed liner stuff on the inside of the car...might do it on the bottom of it as well...

Yep. I've had Rino Liner and LineX along with the paint your own type from Pep Boys. LineX has a ruffer finish, only comes in Black but is not bothered by Gas spills. Rino comes in any color you want and has a smoother duller finish but is affected by Gas spills. The paint your own is much cheaper but didn't look near as good. I prefer LineX.

I've 6 rigs done on the inside and one done inside and outside. It works great and makes them indistructable inside.

frederickflintsone 07-02-2008 06:21 AM

supply and demand

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
And the #1 reason they can justify the higher price - they are the ONLY gig in town that makes motorcycles as sidecars from design to finish. With 2-wheel drive. And reverse.

:ricky

this is the only reason they are still selling now.

with the caveate that I dont own one, I still say they are an inferior product and not up to world standards, part of there apeal is the nostagia. they make a modern 1950's bike.
HD makes a wonderful 1940's bike and they also sell everyone they make.

compare a $14,000 (msrp) ural to a $17,000 (msrp) BMW GS and there is realy no comparision (sidecar asside). the BMW GS has taken 1930 engine design to well beyound modern world standards.

when your pike is paid for, strip it down, have all the metal sandblasted then spray it with an epoxy primer. (uesualy a gray-green) to start and then get out the flat camo paint and go to town

chappy 07-02-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frederickflintsone
this is the only reason they are still selling now.

with the caveate that I dont own one, I still say they are an inferior product and not up to world standards, part of there apeal is the nostagia. they make a modern 1950's bike.
HD makes a wonderful 1940's bike and they also sell everyone they make.

compare a $14,000 (msrp) ural to a $17,000 (msrp) BMW GS and there is realy no comparision (sidecar asside). the BMW GS has taken 1930 engine design to well beyound modern world standards.

when your pike is paid for, strip it down, have all the metal sandblasted then spray it with an epoxy primer. (uesualy a gray-green) to start and then get out the flat camo paint and go to town

While I was more interested just a few years ago when a Patrol was more like $10k instead of $14k I would still get one if I had the extra cash now. I think the fun I would have would far out weigh what I was paying.

HD's bike are not faithful reacreations of the bikes they mimic the way the Ural and Royal Enfields are but then the HD probably is way more reliable. If you are buying a Ural expecting it to be a HD type experience you would be heading in the wrong direction I would think.

I agree it would be nice if someone would make a modern bike designed as a hack rig but it probably will never happen.

:hide P.S. Do the Ural's have the $17k dollar BMW's final drive issues :D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:00 AM.