ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360973)

DAKEZ 07-09-2008 11:58 AM

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

It gets bantered about and debated in many threads. I was wondering what the ADV-riders feel about it.

Yes it should it be legal.
Yes But ONLY on the Hwy
Yes Only at controlled intersections
No It is reckless and should not be made legal.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What do you think?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

NICO 07-09-2008 12:10 PM

Yes all the way. I hate sitting in traffic after work.

While were at it, legalize (decriminalize, at least) that other thing that gets bantered about quite often. :jose

DAKEZ 07-09-2008 12:13 PM

:super

svs 07-09-2008 12:26 PM

It's stupid to ask bikes to operate like cars. That's when they become invisible. Allow bikes to take advantage of their greatest assets: Small size and very maneuverable.

Thank God I live where this is not an issue.

shovelstrokeed 07-09-2008 12:34 PM

I've ridden where it is legal and split where it is illegal.

From my perspective, there are very few downsides to lane splitting. California, where it is not illegal (subtle difference), it reduces congestion a small amount, and allows people on motorcycles to make progress when cagers can't. According to CHP, splitting accidents comprise a very, very small percentage of all accidents.

Of course, California has some of the better freeways out there with both wide lanes and plenty of HOV lanes, making the whole thing easier. T'would be a different story in states where there freeways tend to be more narrow in and around cities.

I'm currently in the Philadelphia area and the very thought of splitting somewhere like I-76 when things are congested would be terrifying.

eatpasta 07-09-2008 12:50 PM

I cant think of any rider that actually wants to sit in traffic.... well, other than the Harley riders around here in LA - they love sitting in traffic for some reason.

:dunno

Skyclad 07-09-2008 12:59 PM

I have not done much lane splitting, mostly because I have never ridden in a place it is legal. The few times that I have lane split I can attribute to either immature foolishness or survival.

While lane splitting would not be appropiate in many places, I can't think of any state that I have ridden in that does not have at least some places that lane splitting would be a good thing.

dave58 07-09-2008 01:03 PM

Make it legal in all 50. If it works here in CA (and it DOES), it should work most anywhere. When done right, its not a problem. What I hate to see (and what gives lane splitting a bad name with cagers) are the dumbasses going balls-out between the lanes. You don't need to go 50 mph faster than the flow of traffic. Slow the hell down!

TheBigSteve 07-09-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelstrokeed
According to CHP, splitting accidents comprise a very, very small percentage of all accidents.

Exactly my point. TONS more accidents are caused by cagers with unsecured loads and riders going too fast on curves. The dangers of lanesplitting are completely nullified by the benefits.

Laoch 07-09-2008 01:23 PM

I kinda like the intersection thing...I hardly ever...almost never ride on anything other than back roads and hicktowns, so the all the way on a highway thing doesn't mean much to me.

rocker59 07-09-2008 01:29 PM

Educating the auto drivers would be the big hurdle.

As it stands now, there is a large percent of people who get pissed when they see motorcycles gaining any advantage in a congested traffic situation.

I don't see any Federal legislation on something like this. Rules like this are usually left to The States.

If it were enacted, I think a max top speed of something like 45mph while splitting would be a good idea.

I've seen some real nutters in places like D.C. splitting at 70+mph. Shite like that just pisses people off...

eatpasta 07-09-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker59
Educating the auto drivers would be the big hurdle.

amen. all you would have to do is add a paragraph to the DMV book about how motorcycles will overheat if they dont and its safer for bikes in traffic to lane split.

......stupid cagers.

:bluduh

Bigger Al 07-09-2008 02:37 PM

Jeebus, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't split lanes. It does save time on the commute, but the biggest advantage, IMHO, is the clear space that opens up ahead of a rider when leaving a red light. It's very nice to have a couple hundred yards ahead that's mostly clear of traffic, especially on the ride home. Lotsa cranky people during the afternoon/evening drive.
I've had quite a few drivers lean out their windows and ask me why I do such a stupid thing, and once I explain the clear spot theory to them, they mostly nod and agree. Mostly. Some just get really pissed that I'll be home quite a bit sooner than they will.:1drink

Brent4ADV 07-09-2008 05:18 PM

I would save about 20 minutes on my commute. Unfortunately I don't think anything will ever change here...:becca

beechum1 07-09-2008 05:44 PM

several of you know how i feel about lane sharing. Do it responsibly. But then again, operating any motor vehicle must be done responsibly, so we are certainly not asking any more of motrocyclists than we are of cagers.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:54 AM.