ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Honda Reflex vs Helix (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363285)

Rottweiler 07-16-2008 10:00 AM

Honda Reflex vs Helix

What's the gist of the diff between these two machines?

Is one believed "better" than the other?

Dranrab Luap 07-16-2008 11:09 AM

The Reflex has better (more) internal storage and a little bit higher seating position.

DR650Keith 07-16-2008 12:54 PM

The Reflex is a newer design, the Helix is really old, mid-eighties vintage.
The Helix is kind of funky looking, the Reflex is very sporty looking.
Running gear is similar but not exactly the same. Both are super reliable and durable. Somebody posted a Reflex odometer picture here with 80k miles! I own an '04 Reflex and can testify to its reliability. Just a great vehicle, gets 63 mpg commuting to work everyday 50 miles roundtrip.
I once saw a Helix on the interstate so they're also very roadworthy. Heard they are almost unkillable. Some guy ran a Reflex in the iron butt a few years ago and finished ahead of many larger bikes.

Ogre_fl 07-16-2008 03:17 PM

The Helix is quicker than a Reflex because the Reflex has a stepped variator that keeps its revs down until around 35-40 mph.

There is a mod that involves removing the low speed rollers from the variator that I think brings the Reflex back in line with the Helix acceleration. I have not done this mod, so I cant say for sure.

I also believe the Reflex has a higher top speed, don't know if its gearing, engine, aerodynamics or a combo of them all.

m chops 07-19-2008 07:09 AM

The Helix had a more relaxed riding position - like a Barcalounger on wheels. I thought that the Helix had more storage than the Reflex, but I've never really compared mine to a Reflex.

RideAbout 07-19-2008 07:40 AM

This is what popped into my mind when you mentioned "Honda Reflex". It was a good mid 80's dualsport.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/08/...004159-800.jpg

Rusty Rocket 07-22-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RideAbout
This is what popped into my mind when you mentioned "Honda Reflex". It was a good mid 80's dualsport.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/08/...004159-800.jpg

I've been looking for one of these!!!

ernest t bass 07-22-2008 09:30 PM

I sat on both yesterday at my buddy's scooter store.

My long legs don't fit on the Reflex as well as the Helix.

Rottweiler 07-26-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernest t bass
I sat on both yesterday at my buddy's scooter store.

My long legs don't fit on the Reflex as well as the Helix.

I'm trying to figure this all out...

I rode a CFMOTO Helix clone. I despise the "bathtub" seating position (rear end flat on the floor, feet straight out.) Feels really off balance. To each his own, but I really, really don't like it.

Is the Reflex much more of an upright seating position? Can your lower legs be straight down like they're supposed to be?

xymotic 07-26-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RideAbout

That thing looks like a lot of fun, how do do the google on that without finding a bunch of scooters? (no offence) I want one too! :)

Lammy1000 09-11-2010 10:36 AM

I sold my Helix to a friend, then bought a 2003 Reflex. Now we trade off during rides. Both are great bikes, even the dated looking Helix is a quick steering, fun mmachine. The problem for me with the Helix is that the more reclined seating position puts compressive forces on my spine, especially with the worn out shocks. With updated shocks and a drivers backrest I could ride for hours. Reflex feels more like a small motorcycle with better (but not great) suspension. Helix has more torque at midrange, while the Reflex has a slightly better top end. My Reflex does have the mod where you remove 3 of the six rollers-really needed to wake up the power band.

gizmo309 09-12-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lammy1000
I sold my Helix to a friend, then bought a 2003 Reflex. Now we trade off during rides. Both are great bikes, even the dated looking Helix is a quick steering, fun mmachine. The problem for me with the Helix is that the more reclined seating position puts compressive forces on my spine, especially with the worn out shocks. With updated shocks and a drivers backrest I could ride for hours. Reflex feels more like a small motorcycle with better (but not great) suspension. Helix has more torque at midrange, while the Reflex has a slightly better top end. My Reflex does have the mod where you remove 3 of the six rollers-really needed to wake up the power band.

Is this the "K-Mod" ? I'd really like to know more about it. My Reflex is a bit sluggish and no where near as smooth as my Piaggio bv200. Does this mod rectify this? Any and all info on this mod is appreciated. I belong to the Yahoo Reflex site but can't stand the new design Yahoo is doing of their boards.

Bob

The PacRat 09-12-2010 04:36 PM

Removing the three rollers is the K-Mod and it works wonders. You do have to "make" a tool to do the job, but it is easy. Once you build the tool, the job itself is pretty easy too. If you want to enjoy your Reflex you MUST do this mod.

And yes... Yahoo groups used to suck - now that they have introduced the new design, they STILL SUCK.

Lammy1000 09-13-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmo309
Is this the "K-Mod" ? I'd really like to know more about it. My Reflex is a bit sluggish and no where near as smooth as my Piaggio bv200. Does this mod rectify this? Any and all info on this mod is appreciated. I belong to the Yahoo Reflex site but can't stand the new design Yahoo is doing of their boards.

Bob

Unfortuneately, the K mod really must be done. I did not make any special tool,,,I used an electric impact gun, being carefull to not overtighten the variator nut. The horribly formatted yahoo Reflex site has a files section to the left with great instructions. I will lend whatever advice you need also.

Bronco638 09-13-2010 07:14 AM

There is a variation on the "K-Mod". While the original says to remove three of the six weighted rollers (three are one weight, the other three are heavier/lighter), the variation says to replace those three weighted rollers with weighted rollers of equal weight. That is, instead of ending up with three weighted rollers in the variator, you end up with 6 weighted rollers (all of equal weight). That might be the way the Big Ruckus is set up (not sure tho).

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:27 AM.