ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Regional forums (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hawai'i (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397081)

Dirty Barber 10-18-2008 07:20 AM

Hawai'i

Anyone here in Hawaii???

Dread Pendragon 10-20-2008 10:16 PM

A guy named Jon Stockton rents dual sport bikes on Maui. He seems like a pretty nice guy. Here's his website.

http://www.mauidualsport.com/

I lived on Oahu for two years going to school. Great place to live, but expensive and it's easy to get "island fever" and wish it took more than a few hours to get to the other side of the island.

Aloha

jpkailua 10-21-2008 11:27 AM

Yes

Kailua, Oahu

1911fan 11-09-2008 09:18 AM

I grew up in Manoa Valley, moved to North Central Washington about 25 years ago. I still go see the folks every February or so when the weather here sucks long enough.
Oahu's got some nice day rides. I used to ride DS bikes all around the island before the last bit of bad road on Kaena Point collapsed. You used to be able to ride in the hills behind Mililani Town, but they built a prison in my favorite spot.

NCW Mike

Road Rash 11-11-2008 10:40 AM

Oahu Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpkailua
Kailua, Oahu

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCW Mike
I grew up in Manoa Valley,Oahu's got some nice day rides.

I'm starting to plan for a trip early next year to Oahu to see my daughter and son-inlaw (he's stationed over there), so far all we are finding are big ass fancy high-rises's.
I don't want a run down dump, just a nice place to relax for the evening and crash as during the day I just plan on driving (riding?) around the Island and spending as much time with my daughter as possible.
On the map the north shore area looks pretty cool (we like to find the "out the way" areas) but I've been told to stay away from the north shore at night caues they don't take to kindly to "howlies".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

two10wagon 11-15-2008 05:57 AM

RR, dont know where you got your info, but I lived on Oahu for 4 years. North shore is a great place. I spent many a night in Hale Ewa and never had any problems from the locals. Did allot of diving for bugs around shark's cove. Had numerous bon fires on Mokulea Shores, not to mention many crazy nights at the sugar mill bar. Besides, I know of plenty of "Howlies" that live up there. Just my 2 cents. Everyone has their own immpressions. You give, you get.

mrt10x 11-15-2008 02:50 PM

just got back from the northshore this morning on the 08 GS adventure...met another GSA rider in the Pipeline parking lot.. he is 2Adventure on here. I know another GSA owner up at Schofield Bks.. but can never remember his name. We need a Hawaii subforum :rofl

SugarDust 11-17-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCW Mike
I grew up in Manoa Valley, moved to North Central Washington about 25 years ago. I still go see the folks every February or so when the weather here sucks long enough.
Oahu's got some nice day rides. I used to ride DS bikes all around the island before the last bit of bad road on Kaena Point collapsed. You used to be able to ride in the hills behind Mililani Town, but they built a prison in my favorite spot.

NCW Mike

Although I live in the mainland, I grew up in Mililani town on O'ahu, way back before the High School was built we used to go ride up by there (I think it was called the pits) , down through Kipapa Gulch and up to where Costco, Kaiser and all the Gentry development is today - back then it was all empty pinapple/sugar cane fields. I remember riding an XR75 on the dirt straights trying to keep up with the cars on Kam highway. You used to be able to ride up to the mountains....those were the days. Today my brother and his family pretty much go riding at the track out by Kahuku....

Road Rash 11-18-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two10wagon
RR, dont know where you got your info, but I lived on Oahu for 4 years. North shore is a great place. I spent many a night in Hale Ewa and never had any problems from the locals.

Thanks for the info.........................I got my (mis)infomation from some "Howlies" :lol3 but since have been told that the only thing to watch out for around there is the waves.

NCW Mike, Thanks for the PM, I will get back to you when I have more time.

mrt10x, so if I see any GS riders while I'm there on the Island I can give them the ADV salute? :lol3
My son inlaw is stationed at Scofield, so I'm sure I'll be spending some time there.

Tom

SugarDust 11-18-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Rash
"Howlies" :lol3 ...

Scofield....

Tom

Just to help out - it's haoles and Schofield :D

Road Rash 11-18-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drzgal
Just to help out - it's haoles and Schofield :D

Thanks, spelling is hard :lol3

I loved your old dirt bike riding story from the Island :thumb

I have a few myself, from places where it used to be OK to ride (in the mainland).

dirtypumpkin 11-21-2008 02:34 AM

Might be moving to Kona...!!!

Went over with a buddy that had a job interview last week.
Im sold on the place, looking to rent something in the 1500 - 2k range.

Any big islanders around?

motogon 11-24-2008 06:43 AM

I'm working on move to Maui. Been there for job interview in October. Other job interview (over phone) 2 weeks ago. I hope to move there this winter. If (who knows in this economy) I move I'll bring my Gran Canyon and Husky TE510. Any ADV riders on Maui?

funhouse 11-25-2008 08:34 PM

ya.....kauai.......half time

I'm on Kauai northshore about half time.......had an old Honda XL250 and did a lot of offroading but am down to a Honda Reflex now.......hoping the interisland ferry gets going so I can take the scooter to the Big Island where you can't see the entire island from one place....Bruce

XRR-kat 11-26-2008 03:54 PM

RR,
If you are former military or Fed Gov employee, the Hale Koa in Waikiki is a good deal. You might try a local travel agent for package deals; they book seats in bulk and can offer good prices.

You won't have much competition with this economy.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:29 AM.