ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   10 Best Motorcycle Roads in US? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406083)

FotoTEX 11-12-2008 05:12 PM

10 Best Motorcycle Roads in US?
 
What do you riders consider to be the best roads to ride in the US? Here is my list, what is yours?

PCH Hwy.1
Chief Joseph Highway
Alaska Hwy.
Million Dollar Highway
Tail of the Dragon
Cherohola Skyway
River Rd. Texas
Natchez trace
Monument Valley
Arches NP

Absolut 11-12-2008 05:26 PM

Angeles Crest Highway

Mulholland Dr.

Ortega Highway.

Are a few of my local favs.

Patrol 11-12-2008 05:27 PM

Just got back from Cherohala and Dragon
 
I just got back from riding The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and the surrounding areas of Tennessee and North Carolina. Easily the best ride I've experienced. Unfortunately one of our group wrote off his bike on Cherohala and sustained fairly serious injuries. A wood gauardrail saved him from a 5100 foot freefall but left him with broken ribs, shoulder, collarbone, concussion, etc. Even with that clous looming over us it was the best ride of my life and should not be missed.

LongWays 11-12-2008 05:29 PM

Pretty much any road that is not in Kansas...

GB 11-12-2008 05:44 PM

Not in Ride Reports, let's try it in the riding forum.

:hide

Rick West 11-12-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FotoTEX
What do you riders consider to be the best roads to ride in the US? Here is my list, what is yours?

PCH Hwy.1
Chief Joseph Highway
Alaska Hwy.
Million Dollar Highway
Tail of the Dragon
Cherohola Skyway
River Rd. Texas
Natchez trace
Monument Valley
Arches NP

I can say for sure, the Alaska Highway is not a ten best road. It is very straight and boring.

ozarkrider 11-12-2008 05:59 PM

Yep
 
Those all sound good. No need for anyone to come to Arkansas to do any riding. Nope, no reason at all. Nuthin here but gravel and inbreds. Ya'll stay there. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

ragtoplvr 11-12-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkrider
Those all sound good. No need for anyone to come to Arkansas to do any riding. Nope, no reason at all. Nuthin here but gravel and inbreds. Ya'll stay there. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Along with the crazy gun-toten inbreds there is hail, lighting and tornado's. And for you campers, mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers. Oh and snakes, ya know, many stores actually sell snake proof boots. All those other roads are way better.

Rod

Midwestdude 11-12-2008 06:21 PM

Anything Rt 28 in NC

Taking a guard rail on the Skyway would have to hurt at those speeds..Hope he heals up soon..

FotoTEX 11-12-2008 06:24 PM

Did not mean to exclude you neighbors in Arkansas. Just rode 21,23,215, & 7 and they are all great roads, was hard to limit it to 10 rides. Besides if I keep this secret quiet it will be better for you-less traffic for you to contend with. As far as listing Alaska Highway-for pure adventure riding it is hard to beat. Where else can you share the road with a Griz?

bemiiten 11-12-2008 06:29 PM

  • California 108 Ebbets Pass
  • California 4 Sonora Pass
  • California 120 Tioga Pass
  • California 198 Generals Hwy.
  • Montana Glacier NP. Going to the Sun Rd.
  • Montana/Wyoming 212 Beartooth Pass
  • California Rt36
  • Colorado Rt550 Million Dollar Hwy.
  • VA/N Carolina Blue Ridge Parkway
  • Idaho 12 Lolo Pass/ WA. 129 / OR. 3 Rattelsnake Pass- Hells Canyon

ozarkrider 11-12-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FotoTEX
Did not mean to exclude you neighbors in Arkansas. Just rode 21,23,215, & 7 and they are all great roads, was hard to limit it to 10 rides. Besides if I keep this secret quiet it will be better for you-less traffic for you to contend with. As far as listing Alaska Highway-for pure adventure riding it is hard to beat. Where else can you share the road with a Griz?

Ping me next time you're up this way. Have you ridden Push Mtn yet? Or up into southern MO?
Push Mtn is AR 341, also known as the AR-Gap. US 160 between Theodosia, MO and Forsyth, MO is awesome. MO 125 from Reuters, MO to Sparta, MO. US 160 east from Alton, MO to wherever you wanna stop. :eek1
AR 9 between Allison, AR and Melbourne, AR. AR 58 from the intersection of AR 69 through Guion to AR 14.
There's so many. And a lot of great gravel roads in between 'em all.
I'll be back later, gotta make out a route for this weekend. :clap

Uncle Ernie 11-12-2008 06:31 PM

Thank God for the Dragon.
It keeps the tourists and amatuers from clogging up the good roads.

adv365 11-12-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongWays
Pretty much any road that is not in Kansas...

Totally agree!!!! Just did that.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405299

Day 3.

mike1952 11-12-2008 06:40 PM

I would add
 
Spearfish Canyon and Needles Hwy in the Black Hills of SD and the Beartooth Hwy in Wyoming and Montana (just beyond Chief Joseph Hwy)


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014