ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Alternative fuel pumps for FI KTM990 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422042)

cjracer 01-09-2009 06:17 AM

Alternative fuel pumps for FI KTM990
 
I've been held up getting back to this project. If anyone has a bad stock 990 pump that is willing to send it in, I'd like to take one apart.

I've got a few 990 tank blank off plates to swap on an external pump in the works. Keep you posted w/ updates.

Has anyone installed one on a 990. I'm looking into making a fuel tank adaptor plate to use a pump on a FI bike and just want to make sure it would work first. Much cheaper than replacement KTM pumps.

I'd like to mount it outside the tank in the area that the 950 fuel pumps were mounted.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before these start to go. FI is here to stay so let's deal w/ it.

I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere and have to drain my tank to pull this pump.

I don't have a 990 to work w/ or on so that's where I need your help.
If you think it's a waist of time say so.

Stock pump:

<TABLE id=searchresults width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD align=center>61007088100</TD><TD align=left>FUEL PUMP 06</TD><TD align=right>$540.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'd think if an external pump for about $75-100 would work, a regulator if need be and an adaptor plate would work for about $200-250 it would be worth while. From then on all you would need is a new pump if it fails.

:ear

Yzlvr 01-09-2009 07:28 AM

I like the idea, I have the 990, maybe tahoeacr can help.

Head2Wind 01-09-2009 08:14 AM

What is the fuel rail pressure set at on the 990? usually on most modern cars it is ~40psi or so. I don't think that it does any dynamic pressure regulation either.

something like this Summit pump universal unit

and a regulator

990S Pilot 01-09-2009 08:16 AM

I don't think it'd be a waste of time, I'm interested in a cheaper solution. Since this is a potential failure point I'd like to have a relatively inexpensive solution I could carry as a spare to more remote areas.

aurel 01-09-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head2Wind
something like this Summit pump universal unit

Your link is not working. Here is the good one :thumb

Head2Wind 01-09-2009 09:01 AM

I fixed it....

Head2Wind 01-09-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 990S Pilot
I don't think it'd be a waste of time, I'm interested in a cheaper solution. Since this is a potential failure point I'd like to have a relatively inexpensive solution I could carry as a spare to more remote areas.

From what I have found so far, and I have been looking at this for the non EFI (950) for a while now, it is going to be ~300 or so to come up with a complete replacement solution with a external pump with return fuel regulation inclusive of a interface plate for the 990 fuel tank. it could be field installed, however I think that replacing the stock system with a improved external system would be my preference rather than trying to fix it in a remote area.

total system components:
fuel pump: ~$100
regulator: ~$100
990 tank plate: ~$50 (total guess)
fuel filter: ~$20
various fittings and hoses: ~$30

thoughts CJ? am I way off costs? is there another way?

I know that the FI in my old CBR600 FI tank mounted pump (and many other M/C systems) just dead headed to the fuel rail without return fuel to the tank like in a car, so maybe return fuel and adjustable FPR is not necessary.

Dusty 01-09-2009 09:26 AM

:ear .....:lurk

cjracer 01-09-2009 10:03 AM

Ya, I guess you're correct. I didn't figure in the fittings, filter and stuff.

This is what I made to fit my Aqualine tanks after finding the the peice of inner tube rubber they give you as a seal failed, only to find about 5 gallons of fuel on the garage floor in morning. Good thing I don't smoke.:kboom

I'm not 100% sure this would fit on a 990, but it work on these tanks meant to fit the stock pump.

After looking into the cost of materials and time, about $50 sounds real close for the plate and viton O-ring.

An older model pump from a FI sport bike like you said might work.

If someone needs a plate and wants to run w/ this idea testing pumps and whatnot let me know. I could make another up for test purposes, before I make a larger batch.

I would think that this "kit" would be put on "Before" the stock dies if heading out on a long trip. If anything just carry another pump, easier to install like the 950 version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head2Wind
From what I have found so far, and I have been looking at this for the non EFI (950) for a while now, it is going to be ~300 or so to come up with a complete replacement solution with a external pump with return fuel regulation inclusive of a interface plate for the 990 fuel tank. it could be field installed, however I think that replacing the stock system with a improved external system would be my preference rather than trying to fix it in a remote area.

total system components:
fuel pump: ~$100
regulator: ~$100
990 tank plate: ~$50 (total guess)
fuel filter: ~$20
various fittings and hoses: ~$30

thoughts CJ? am I way off costs? is there another way?

I know that the FI in my old CBR600 FI tank mounted pump (and many other M/C systems) just dead headed to the fuel rail without return fuel to the tank like in a car, so maybe return fuel and adjustable FPR is not necessary.

Would something like this bolt on to the stock tanks?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/DSC03420.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/DSC03421.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/DSC03422.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/DSC03423.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/DSC03424.jpg

aurel 01-09-2009 10:28 AM

I think it would fit.

amaunu 01-09-2009 11:03 AM

Does Facet have pump in their production line? I guess FI is not that sensitive to pressure variation if flow rate and adequate mean pressure is achieved. What is good for aeroplane is definetly out KTM engineers mind.

gefr 01-09-2009 11:11 AM

Could one of these work...
 
http://facet-purolator.com/index.php...d=43&Itemid=65

Cheers.

PowerCell 01-09-2009 11:48 AM

Try finding a Bosch FI pump off a '68 or so VW Type-III. They are a remote mount pump with a return ciruit that allows excess fuel to be cycled back through the tank to prevent vapor lock. All you will need is a return line to the tank - which should be easy.

cjracer 01-09-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerCell
Try finding a Bosch FI pump off a '68 or so VW Type-III. They are a remote mount pump with a return ciruit that allows excess fuel to be cycled back through the tank to prevent vapor lock. All you will need is a return line to the tank - which should be easy.


Found this after a quick search, any idea if any of these look correct?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...c1280157k58625

PowerCell 01-09-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjracer
...any idea if any of these look correct?


Nope. The beattle was carbed. Try a 73 S-bug, I think that's when they went FI...


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014