ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shiny things (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   New Brewery! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425214)

levain 01-19-2009 04:09 PM

New Brewery!
 
Putting the finishing touches on finally moving my brewing to the basement. I can't explain how psyched I am!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...g/IMG_0372.jpg

anonny 01-19-2009 06:59 PM

Looks awesome :1drink

NotSafe 01-19-2009 07:49 PM

Hot dam.. I myself am a home brewer, I love making my own beer and wine, much cheaper and you can make what you want.. Ive got a metal from a DC Home brewers Comp for Stout's for my Coffee Creame Stout, the guy that tought me wone grand cfhampion in 07 for his IPA.. One time we decided to make a brew that involved one ingrediant that you would never imagine, I made a stout with Count Chocola cereal, came out great.. A friend made a IPA with Mt Dew, Awsome, and my roomate made an ale with somehting but cant rememeber what he used.. One day Ill get my liecence and start a Cafe with home brew, I love cooking also

levain 01-20-2009 02:42 AM

thanks. I'm pretty psyched. Most of my brewing is english styles. I do a fair amount of cask conditioning, in real casks, and, belgian ales. Looking forward to not having to deal with frozen hoses anymore in my garage!:clap

Blane 01-20-2009 03:02 AM

That is a nice set up. :slurp

I brew 5-10 gallon batches on a cobbled together RIMS system and have been toying with the idea of redoing my brewery. It looks like you're tapped in for natural gas. What do you do for temperature control?

I like that conical fermenter. If you ever feel a need to get rid of it, I could take it off your hands.

jdonly1 01-20-2009 03:04 AM

Nice set up ya got there mate

30Bones 01-20-2009 03:19 AM

I see no pics, but I started home brewing about a year or so ago and have maybe 8-10 batches (extract kits for now) and really enjoy. Even got a friend/ADV into it, so we tend to have brew nights, etc. Great hobby and good luck.

http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/451375590_crZBw-M.jpg

levain 01-20-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blane
That is a nice set up. :slurp

I brew 5-10 gallon batches on a cobbled together RIMS system and have been toying with the idea of redoing my brewery. It looks like you're tapped in for natural gas. What do you do for temperature control?

I like that conical fermenter. If you ever feel a need to get rid of it, I could take it off your hands.

Here's my Brew Magic RIMS system. Works very well
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...g/IMG_0376.jpg

I am tapped into natural gas, but, I don't have the rig converted yet. I've been running propane in the garage...

In this picture, you can see the freezer that I use for temp. control. It plugs into a controller that I can also plug a heat source into. It'll basically do 33-85, and, everything in between. I would ferment at 67F when it's below freezing in the garage with this setup. Heat source is just a 150W light bulb.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...g/IMG_0377.jpg



Oh, the conical isn't for sale, but, I do have a 15gal. plastic mini brew conical I'd sell. Shipping would be a bitch, cos, it's so big with the stand. Let me know if you're interested.

Lochlyn_Deckard 01-20-2009 12:39 PM

Very Cool Jim. :D

Will you beer serving your Official Adventure Rider Beer in Official Adventure Rider Beer Steins. GB, you listening!? :lol3

ShadyRascal 01-20-2009 12:49 PM

Nice set up. Ever try a counterflow wort chiller? I see you have an immersion type in the brew keg.

I had a keg like that converted for my brew kettle, really works well. :clap

levain 01-20-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
Nice set up. Ever try a counterflow wort chiller? I see you have an immersion type in the brew keg.

I had a keg like that converted for my brew kettle, really works well. :clap

Yeah, I have tried counterflows. I'm doing the jamil whirlpool now with the immersion and a pump. Works great!

ShadyRascal 01-20-2009 03:34 PM

I have a counterflow, and it chills instantly, although the couple of batches I've done with it just weren't of the same quality as with my old immersion. Dunno if it's that, but it's the only thing I'd changed.

The immersion is simpler and easier to use anyway, and doesn't take that long to cool.

Motodisiac 01-20-2009 03:46 PM

Jim, can I leave in your garage? I will guard your beer, I promise :rofl

levain 01-20-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
I have a counterflow, and it chills instantly, although the couple of batches I've done with it just weren't of the same quality as with my old immersion. Dunno if it's that, but it's the only thing I'd changed.

The immersion is simpler and easier to use anyway, and doesn't take that long to cool.

Could have something to do with all the cold break you're bringing into your fermenter now. Before, you were leaving it in the kettle. If you're making really hoppy beers, you lose lots of hop flavor through a counterflow if you're hopping towards the end of the boil. Most of the big guys that are making big hoppy beers are using a whirlpool or hop back for that reason. Just a couple thoughts. I tell you what, this whirlpool chilling method rocks. Love it.
Here's a link
http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

levain 01-20-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motodisiac
Jim, can I leave in your garage? I will guard your beer, I promise :rofl

Will trade beer for Revit gear!:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014