ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Trouble with TomTom Rider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444872)

Dread 03-20-2009 04:08 PM

Trouble with TomTom Rider

I bought a Tomtom rider almost three years ago and have been having constant problems with the cradle charging on my bikes. It finally totally crapped out last riding season.

I called Tomtom today and they won't do anything without a reciept - I moved right after I got the thing and can't find the damn thing.

Right now, in addition to wishing I had bought a Garmin anything over the Tomtom rider, I'm stuck with a very expensive paperwieght.

Does anybody know where I can find a cradle for it for the bike?

And, in case anyone is wondering, if I had it to do over again, I'd GO GARMIN!!!!

SkeeterMan 03-25-2009 07:28 PM

I feel you pain. My rider, which I've had for a year, crapped out the other day after doing a routine backup (as they recommend), when I turned it back on the maps were gone. I've been on the phone with them for the past two days with no avail.

While I was doing a search on here to see what other people have to say about them I ran across your post, thought I'd do a search to help you out, and can't find a cradle anywhere...not even on TomTom's website.

Sorry I can't be of more help.....I'm going Garmin next time too.

Dread 03-28-2009 09:41 PM

I'm beginning to really hate TomTom. So, the day I wrote the first post, the Tomtom rep told me over the phone that if I found my reciept and faxed it to them, they would repair or replace my cradle.

So, I tear the house APART and find the freakin reciept, and then when I call them they tell me no, it was bought to long ago and they won't fix it.

AAAARRGGGH!!!!!!!!

Luckily for me, although I never, ever, EVER buy extended/service warranties on electronics, for some psycho reason I did on this one (cute salesperson I bet), and the thing was attached to my reciept - and I had 2 weeks to get it to Fry's before that expired. So it got sent off by UPS and should get there in time, hopefully they'll come through for me.

Did I mention, if you are choosing between Tomtom and ANY gps manufacturer - go with the one that isn't Tomtom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dread 05-14-2009 03:59 PM

Well, it finally got resolved - I bought the rider at Fry's electronics, and although I never, ever, buy a service plan, for some reason this time I did. I returned my old Tom Tom rider to them with 1 week left on the service plan. Today UPS dropped off a brand new Tom Tom Rider second edition that Fry's replaced my old one with.

So, I'm pleased with Fry's, not so much with Tom Tom - but I have a brand new GPS that I will use until it goes south. Then I'll get a Garmin!

Dr Feelgood 06-12-2009 05:18 AM

Dread,

This is well know problem with the TOMTOM rider version 1. The Rider 2 has a different cradle and wet connect.

The problem with the Rider 1 is the 4 little brass pins are supposed to connect onto the 4 little brass plates on the back of the unit. I have had 2 cradles now for my Rider 1 and none of them line up properly, thus affecting the connection. The pins also tend to wear out on the tip. All-in-all not the best design.

Cheers

DrF:wink:

Dr Feelgood 06-12-2009 05:20 AM

...by the way, Touratech does sell an alternative cradle but I am not sure that it solves the problem..:kboom

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:56 AM.