ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

Gummee! 07-06-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 19066609)
I'm trying to figure out if bicycle snobs are as tedious as beer snobs. :1drink

:nod

DAMHIK

M

100mpg 07-06-2012 06:43 AM

Gotta give this guy a hand!
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 19064925)

dmaxmike 07-06-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by advNZer? (Post 19067981)
Cannondale Crap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2wheels (Post 19068327)
Guess I have to throw about 5 (Cannondale) pieces of crap away, including daughter's TT bike and our road tandem :eek1

He must be a little butt hurt about the whole Cannondale thing back at the beginning of the 2000ís when they decided to be a motorcycle and quad company as well as a bad ass peddle bike company. We all know how that turned out. Great American company sold off to the highest bidder and instead of those sweet aluminum frames being welded together by hard working Americans right here in my home state of PA there now made by 12 year olds girls in china or somewhere like that. Granted there not junk, but I like the ones made here more; and the one on the back of that GS looks to be of the correct vintage to be made here. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

xtphreak 07-06-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

or coffee yuppies

hscrugby 07-06-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Guess I have to throw about 5 (Cannondale) pieces of crap away, including daughter's TT bike and our road tandem :eek1

I think he's just someone like me that got suckered into buying a cannondale with their damn Coda disc brakes, and is still pissed at them for that.

Those damn things were the biggest pieces of non stopping crap using a non standard bolt pattern and offset so i can't even replace em. F'rs. :D

daveinva 07-06-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtphreak (Post 19065809)
if you need the extra wheels to compensate for a physical infirmity, then you do :nod
if you don"t have a physical disability why would you want one? :dunno

Fine. I'm goaded into an explanation for my teasing the kits.

First off, I'm obviously three-wheel friendly. :wink:

But in my informed, completely scientific, objective opinion the Voyager/Insta-Trike kits are an inefficient and sub-par solution to a desire to ride with extra wheels, purchased and installed solely for their low price and ostensible convenience, NOT for their performance.

If you want three wheels, get three wheels... for goodness sake, don't get *four*.

With a conventional trike, you get two powered, brakable wheels in the back. They ride "funny" compared to two wheels, of course, but they ride like a trike.

With one of those bolt on kits, you get two unpowered, unbrakable wheels flanking your original rear wheel. Which gives you extra weight, extra rear tire wear, and if it's not set-up correctly, even weirder handling than a conventional trike (which, let's be honest, is already weird enough). Having ridden both a Lehman conversion and a Voyager bolt-on, it's not a "different strokes for different folks" solution-- it's obviously a half-assed imitiation of a well-designed trike/trike conversion.

On paper, people gravitate to the bolt-on kits because they think, "Hey, they're cheaper than buying a custom trike (let alone something out of the showroom like the HD Tri-Glide or Goldwing Trike). Plus they're flexible-- I can always take them off when I want to ride two wheels again!"

In practice, once they're on, few people ever take them off-- once these older riders need to go to extra wheels, who goes back?

I can't imagine anyone, with money being no object, preferentially choosing a bolt-on kit versus a trike conversion. Perhaps these people exist; perhaps unicorns, too.

Alas, money is often an object, I get that.

I never begrudge people riding whatever they want as long as they can ride. I simply think most people would be better served by saving a few pennies and getting a properly-designed trike/trike conversion versus buying a bolt-on kit-- they'll enjoy a better ride in the long run.

It's my opinion, it's my own :deal.

Rufjeep 07-06-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago (Post 19066584)
No self respecting ex bicycle shop owner would bother hauling that Wal Mart special around on the back of his moto.
Bicycle is a cheap piece of crap.

Uggggg.....how many conversations have I heard among mediocre (at best) cyclists berating bikes and critiquing equipment; looking down there noses at another riders bike with unmasked condescension.

If someone has a bike, and they ride it, and it makes them smile, it's an awesome bike. Don't be a prick.

Avocet 07-06-2012 08:11 AM

Well, I think we have mentioned all the Dover brothers (Ben etc) but nobody mentioned their sister ILENE.

100mpg 07-06-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avocet (Post 19068898)
Well, I think we have mentioned all the Dover brothers (Ben etc) but nobody mentioned their sister ILENE.

:evil

DaFoole 07-06-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

No self respecting ex bicycle shop owner would bother hauling that Wal Mart special around on the back of his moto.

Spent all his money on final drives....

:evil

Grreatdog 07-06-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufjeep (Post 19068752)
Uggggg.....how many conversations have I heard among mediocre (at best) cyclists berating bikes and critiquing equipment; looking down there noses at another riders bike with unmasked condescension.

If someone has a bike, and they ride it, and it makes them smile, it's an awesome bike. Don't be a prick.

Yep, motorcyclist would never do anything like that. Nothing but brotherly love in here in these 887 pages of idiocy. :lol3

B.Curvin 07-06-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

They forgot Han and Dick.

There was a local band in Chattanooga called the Roving Dovers in the 80s. It was made up of the "brothers" Han, Ben and Dick.

kerhonky 07-06-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

I used to know a fellow who was not well endowed in the cranial region. We were talking one day at the gym about a comedian we had both seen on TV who used the Dover twins bit. The conversation went something like this:

Me: I've always loved that bit about the Dover twins, Ben and Eileen.

Don: No, it the Over twins, Bend and Ileaned.

Me: No, see it's a play on....oh, yeah I guess you're right. I must have heard it wrong.

100mpg 07-06-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerhonky (Post 19069355)
Me: I've always loved that bit about the Dover twins, Ben and Eileen.

Don: No, it the Over twins, Bend and Ileaned.

Me: No, see it's a play on....oh, yeah I guess you're right. I must have heard it wrong.

:baldy

Qwik 07-06-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufjeep (Post 19068752)

Yup, I love My $100 Craigslist DK Fury 24" BMX Cruiser

Jim Moore 07-06-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

They're right up there, ain't they?

Ritalin Boy 07-06-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

To the bike snob if it wasn't built by hand it's CRAP!

Chisenhallw 07-06-2012 12:36 PM

Give me Pinarello or give me death!

Bill Harris 07-06-2012 12:48 PM

I like my Schwinn...

atomicalex 07-06-2012 12:57 PM

You guys appear to need to be introduced to some audiophile snobs. Talk about tedious.....

JimVonBaden 07-06-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Don't go to the bicycle thread! :norton

Jim :brow

Paebr332 07-06-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicalex (Post 19070891)
You guys appear to need to be introduced to some audiophile snobs. Talk about tedious.....

And they are also the most gullible people on the planet

kerhonky 07-06-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

I bought a Stereo! Wow! With two speakers!
But then I heard the quad with the four speakers and I was like this is it, so I got rid of the stereo and got the quad.
I’m listening to this thing and I’m like “Hey this sounds like SHIT!”
So, I got rid of that and got the dodecaphonic with the 12 speakers.
This was more to my liking…for a while. But the year gets pretty sophisticated pretty fast and I got rid of that and got the milliphonic with the 1,000 speakers.
And I’m listening to that one and I’m like, “Hey, this sounds like SHIT too! The other one was SHIT one, this one is SHIT too!”
So, I traded that in and got the googlephonic, which is the highest number of speakers you can have before infinity.
Sounds like SHIT!
So, then I said, “Hey, maybe it’s the needle!”
I had the typical diamond needle. I searched around got the moonrock needle, cost me 3 million bucks, but what the hey. So, now I have a googlephonic stereo with a moonrock needle. It’s okay for a car stereo, I wouldn’t want it in my house.

[Apologies to Steve Martin]

B.Curvin 07-06-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerhonky (Post 19071458)

[Apologies to Steve Martin]

Grandpaaaaaaaa bought a rubber.

:D

I used to listen to Comedy is not pretty over and over and over.

kerhonky 07-06-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Curvin (Post 19071529)
Grandpaaaaaaaa bought a rubber.

I used to listen to Comedy is not pretty over and over and over.

Whenever we finish a project, my buddy and I always look at each other and say "Well, that's eet. That's every pair of shoes in the place."

B.Curvin 07-06-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerhonky (Post 19071637)
Whenever we finish a project, my buddy and I always look at each other and say "Well, that's eet. That's every pair of shoes in the place."

Unless of course........you would like to try.............. :lol3

Benesesso 07-06-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Huh? I drove from Milano to Essen one Christmas to buy a pair of tube amps. Of course I had to swing by Bonn and pay my respect to the great Beethoven.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../PC262607n.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../PC262634n.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../PC262625n.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../PC302919n.jpg

ttpete 07-06-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benesesso (Post 19072040)
Huh? I drove from Milano to Essen one Christmas to buy a pair of tube amps. Of course I had to swing by Bonn and pay my respect to the great Beethoven.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../PC302919n.jpg

Single-ended triode amps. Use a 2A3 for a final. Was that a while ago?

Benesesso 07-06-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 19072135)
Single-ended triode amps. Use a 2A3 for a final. Was that a while ago?

Yes, Dec. 2003. Only 3.5 watts each, but with Klipschorns that's enough.

What are you running?

BTW, it snowed in Switzerland on the way home.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../PC282905b.jpg

DC2wheels 07-06-2012 04:43 PM

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../PC262634n.jpg

Eh, Eurotrash music. :lol3

TrashCan 07-06-2012 04:45 PM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...52061337_n.jpg

TrashCan 07-06-2012 04:50 PM

Have phone will travel.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...53143807_n.jpg

Bill Harris 07-06-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 19072501)
Have phone will travel.

[IMG]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527968_10151089832308140_153143807_n.jpg[/snip]

Gotta love this one. A Honda-four ratbike. With an analog gas gauge. And brass knucks on the fork brace. And hot-off-the-lot surplus panniers.

ttpete 07-06-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benesesso (Post 19072239)
Yes, Dec. 2003. Only 3.5 watts each, but with Klipschorns that's enough.

What are you running?

Haven't had tube stuff in a long time. Never went back, unfortunately, although I grew up with it.

Amp is Harman-Kardon Citation 22, 200W/side.

Pre amp is Nakamichi 610.

Empire 208 turntable.

Altec Lansing 15" 3 way speaker system.

Kinda old school, but adequate for what hearing I have left. Navy diesel engine rooms and many years of race bikes did me in.

pbarmy 07-06-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 19072563)
Gotta love this one. A Honda-four ratbike. With an analog gas gauge. And brass knucks on the fork brace. And hot-off-the-lot surplus panniers.

Me like!:clap

NitroAcres 07-06-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2wheels (Post 19072445)

Techno played at 33-1/3...:D

PWarren4 07-06-2012 05:16 PM

Wouldn't this be more appropriate on a Ninja?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 19072460)

mrbreeze 07-06-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 19072501)

:clap:clap:clap

Wuwei 07-06-2012 05:22 PM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...53143807_n.jpg[/QUOTE]

So, I guess one case is for the cold beer and one case is for the empties?

bwalsh 07-06-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelB12 (Post 19063036)
Why do so, so many people do that when they go around a curve??

They're Skierd.:deal

Quote:

That settles it! You know nothing about bicycles.

Benesesso 07-06-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2wheels (Post 19072445)

Just for that smart-alec comment, I'm going to bore the hell out of you with this story:

My company sent my wife and me to Italy for 6 years, back in 1998. We traveled around quite a bit on weekends. One of those found us in Vienna. We soon found ourselves at the great concert hall there. OK, a little background info. I had studied the acoustics of concert halls as a minor in college, so I knew the Musikverein was right at the top of the heap.

Having no knowledge of hours or performances, I was just hoping to be able to get a quick peek at the inside of this great hall. Imaging my surprise when I found the ticket office open ~1 PM. I explained my desire, thinking how far in advance people had to get tickets. So it was a real shock when the ticket agent informed me that yes, I could take a look, but she still had two tickets left for a performance that started in a few hours, way up at the top of the upper balcony. Not good seats at all, but I wasn't about to complain.

I asked her what was playing, someting by Mozart (whose stuff I simply cannot handle) played by the visiting Hollywood 101 Strings? "Oh no, she said, it was the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra being conducted by the visiting Sir Simon Rattle". Now she had my full attention.

Hoping it wasn't going to be Wolfgang, I asked what was going to be performed. I nearly fell over as my knees got weak upon hearing "Beethoven's 4th and 7th symphonies"! I just could not believe our great luck. I bought the tickets, and the wife wanted to spend the waiting time looking around Vienna some more. Not a chance, I told her, we're waiting right here until seating time.

Finally after a few hours we were allowed to go to our seats. Then the light bulb went on. Told my wife I was going back to the lobby and see it they had any cancellations of seats already sold. As I entered the lobby, I saw a couple of women waving tickets over their heads, saying "tickets, tickets". I asked the closest one what she had and how she got them, and she explained she was a tour guide and some of the people on her tour didn't want to hear any concerts.

So, trying very hard not to appear too eager, I asked where the seats were. She looked at them, and said "I've only got two pair, one pair on the main floor and one near the center front of the lower balcony--the best seats in the house! WOW! Again trying my hardest to seem only mildly interested, I asked her how much she wanted. She gave me a very reasonable price, not knowing that at that moment, I would have paid a small fortune for them.

Tickets in hand, I rushed to the new seats and frantically waved to my wife way upstairs. She arrived about 2 minutes before the start of the 4th, of which the first 2 1/2 minutes is some of the best music I've ever heard.

BTW, the concert hall I studied most was the dreadful New York Philharmonic Hall, the hall with the 400 lb. plaster "clouds" installed for a little sound diffusion. This was shortly before Avery Fisher donated a few million $ to redo the interior, if they'd name it after him-allegedly, of course.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ienna/4ff9.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ienna/01c2.jpg

Treedguy 07-06-2012 06:13 PM

Silence audio dorks!!!!!

People are trying to make fun of other riders.......... or.................. something.........

I like the "gas gauge" on that rat honda!

Electrojake 07-06-2012 06:14 PM

Why thank you Benesesso.
Finally, a post worth reading in this waste land of one-upmanship.

Bravo, Bravo! :clap

Benesesso 07-06-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrojake (Post 19073017)
Why thank you Benesesso.
Finally, a post worth reading in this waste land of one-upmanship.

Bravo, Bravo! :clap

That's because I was born in Newark, that Paris of the east coast. :huh

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../NotKansas.jpg

TrashCan 07-06-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benesesso (Post 19073029)

Dude, get a room.
:norton:norton:norton:norton:norton

TrashCan 07-06-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeguy (Post 19073005)
Silence audio dorks!!!!!

People are trying to make fun of other riders.......... or.................. something.........

I like the "gas gauge" on that rat honda!

Good eye.

:thumb

DC2wheels 07-07-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

I asked her what was playing, someting by Mozart (whose stuff I simply cannot Handel)
FIXED (w/apologies)

Aghartha 07-07-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy (Post 19069798)
To the bike snob if it wasn't built by hand it's CRAP!

All bikes are built by hand. From small shops in Italy to the big factories in Taiwan, bike frames are made by hand. That;s why people jerking off over handmade frames is so stupid. Sure, some guy in Portland can braze some production lugs and tubes together well enough to not fall apart, but there's a Taiwanese lady who's been welding bike frames together longer than he's been riding.

And yeah, I think bike snobs are worse than beer snobs. Both are insufferable, but you end up getting drunk with a beer snob.

Benesesso 07-07-2012 07:35 AM

>"I asked her what was playing, someting by Mozart (whose stuff I simply cannot Handel)"<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2wheels (Post 19075362)
FIXED (w/apologies)

No apologies needed. By now, it's all water under the bridge on River Thames. :1drink

Mambo Dave 07-07-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aghartha (Post 19075710)
All bikes are built by hand. From small shops in Italy to the big factories in Taiwan, bike frames are made by hand. That;s why people jerking off over handmade frames is so stupid. Sure, some guy in Portland can braze some production lugs and tubes together well enough to not fall apart, but there's a Taiwanese lady who's been welding bike frames together longer than he's been riding.

And yeah, I think bike snobs are worse than beer snobs. Both are insufferable, but you end up getting drunk with a beer snob.

Excellent post; this is the truth.

WVhillbilly 07-07-2012 08:28 AM

I remember when there were pictures in this thread.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...95972972_n.jpg

Didn't know I could get a Cannondale at Wal mart, I bought all of mine at the bike shop.

Tuna Helper 07-07-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet (Post 19066544)
Don't forget the Scottish cousin, Phil McCavity

And Phil McCracken, Scottish Therapist. (Sorry I can't find video)

Gummee! 07-07-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinva (Post 19068689)
But in my informed, completely scientific, objective opinion the Voyager/Insta-Trike kits are an inefficient and sub-par solution to a desire to ride with extra wheels, purchased and installed solely for their low price and ostensible convenience, NOT for their performance.

I can actually confirm this via my Dad's last trip on his Wing with a bolt on kit. Went thru 8 tires on the outriggers cause they weren't lined up right.

Quote:

On paper, people gravitate to the bolt-on kits because they think, "Hey, they're cheaper than buying a custom trike (let alone something out of the showroom like the HD Tri-Glide or Goldwing Trike). Plus they're flexible-- I can always take them off when I want to ride two wheels again!"

In practice, once they're on, few people ever take them off-- once these older riders need to go to extra wheels, who goes back?
That was Dad. Didn't want to spend the $$ on a real trike till that last trip. I FINALLY convinced him to get a real trike.

Quote:

I can't imagine anyone, with money being no object, preferentially choosing a bolt-on kit versus a trike conversion. Perhaps these people exist; perhaps unicorns, too.

Alas, money is often an object, I get that.

I never begrudge people riding whatever they want as long as they can ride. I simply think most people would be better served by saving a few pennies and getting a properly-designed trike/trike conversion versus buying a bolt-on kit-- they'll enjoy a better ride in the long run.

It's my opinion, it's my own :deal.
Dad finally bought a trike. Rode it 1x then died of a massive heart attack. :cry Least he got to ride the thing once.

For him it was knee issues. Bum knee led to weight gain. Weight gain = bum knee + more problems. Etc. Vicious circle that.

He did love riding than damn 'Wing tho.

I still have both the Wing AND the bolt-on kit if anyone knows anyone. :deal

M

Dave in Wi 07-07-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19079050)
I can actually confirm this via my Dad's last trip on his Wing with a bolt on kit. Went thru 8 tires on the outriggers cause they weren't lined up right.

That was Dad. Didn't want to spend the $$ on a real trike till that last trip. I FINALLY convinced him to get a real trike.

Dad finally bought a trike. Rode it 1x then died of a massive heart attack. :cry Least he got to ride the thing once.

For him it was knee issues. Bum knee led to weight gain. Weight gain = bum knee + more problems. Etc. Vicious circle that.

He did love riding than damn 'Wing tho.

I still have both the Wing AND the bolt-on kit if anyone knows anyone. :deal

M

My dad has a conversion that adds 2 outrigger wheels to a Burgman 650. I don't know the brand name. He looked at trike conversions but they were ridiculously priced. I've ridden his and it rides and tracks just fine, with no funny tire wear. If they are properly installed I'd say they are a viable option. With his age and 2 knee replacements, balancing at low speeds and stops was no longer letting him ride. It works for him.

Contevita 07-07-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVhillbilly (Post 19076238)
I remember when there were pictures in this thread.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...95972972_n.jpg

Didn't know I could get a Cannondale at Wal mart, I bought all of mine at the bike shop.

Is that the famous cruiser duck-walk? I see that shit all the time at the lights and intersections here.

FatherX 07-07-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contevita (Post 19079257)
Is that the famous cruiser duck-walk? I see that shit all the time at the lights and intersections here.

more likely the cruiser WTF!? walk as the rig pushes it off the tarmac.

WVhillbilly 07-07-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherX (Post 19079279)
more likely the cruiser WTF!? walk as the rig pushes it off the tarmac.

This

TrashCan 07-08-2012 02:05 PM

All the way from Puerto Rico!
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...62515515_n.jpg

dwoodward 07-08-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 19061893)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinva (Post 19060922)
I get trikes. I get hacks. I obviously get Spyders.

I will never, ever get Voyager kits.

It's what Mr and Mrs want to do. More power to them. In the long run. it's no worse than the chromed barcalounger phalli

Beg to differ. The outrigger wheels, having their own subframe and suspension, can make the bike do nasty things.

Not fair comparing them to training wheels, either- those let a kid figure out how to balance and ride.

Wanna Trike? Fne- get one. But these things are just evil.

B.Curvin 07-08-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 19084134)
Beg to differ. The outrigger wheels, having their own subframe and suspension, can make the bike do nasty things.

Not fair comparing them to training wheels, either- those let a kid figure out how to balance and ride.

Psssst. Hey.......DW. You been over here? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805304

Noone 07-08-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Because they never took a motorcycle riding course??

BossMaverick 07-08-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

I bet my bike has more chicken strips than his bike. Maybe I should start riding that way...

Mambo Dave 07-08-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="dg-bbcode dg-bbcode-quote"> Originally Posted by SteelB12 http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net...s/viewpost.png
</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="dg-bbcode dg-bbcode-quote">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Because they never took a motorcycle riding course??
I dunno... I never used to do it, but with my new to me DR650 and the next to last 90-degree turn to my house after my commute I find myself doing it now (but not for the off-ramp turn before, at good speed, and not for the turn after which is new pavement and a sweet last turn)... I don't know if it's that by that time I'm tired of being one with the bike and just let it do its thing beneath me (admittedly not pushing it hard or I would be either leaned with the bike or leaned even further in), or what, but for non-critical-speed turns I am here-by admitting that I'm finding myself doing it. I'm not leaning against it... well, I guess I am... but instead just keeping my body upright... kinda feels like snow skiing when you keep your body square with the direction and allow the skis and legs to do the work.

I've taken courses and race courses, and had other students clapping and cheering at what I can do in the cones for hard cornering.

I dunno, but I'm certainly not going to get all critical about others doing it during relaxed riding. Put me on the Dragon with a sports bike and you'd never see me do it unless I was stuck behind a big truck and doing some inane slow speed.

But I've got the balls to admit here to what others know they're doing on lazy turns during lazy rides. :D

I'd add a photo from Killboy, but none of his recent links seem to give me anything but "not available yet" or they link me to a photoreflect.com/store/ page that errors out. How are you guys finding these photos? (ok, I found pages with photos, but they are protected and I can't copy, save or link them)

thetable 07-09-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoganai (Post 19062965)
Did you know they JUST paved 16 north from Hungry Mother State Park to the next range towards Shady Valley just sayin'. :deal

And you know what Virginia does after laying pavement right?
They level the shoulder, so all the trailers and bad drivers can drag it out into the road, especially in the right handers.

DAKEZ 07-09-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

And extremely dangerous :deal

RogerShakenbak 07-09-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mambo Dave (Post 19085365)

I'd add a photo from Killboy, but none of his recent links seem to give me anything but "not available yet" or they link me to a photoreflect.com/store/ page that errors out. How are you guys finding these photos? (ok, I found pages with photos, but they are protected and I can't copy, save or link them)

There's more than one source for Dragon fail, you know. :eek1

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S...riple-Play.gif

Beto 07-09-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 19084064)
All the way from Puerto Rico!

All the way from Brazil!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7...ec242030_c.jpg

Boon Booni 07-09-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

I gotta agree. During my commute from work I was following one of those things home. There's a 6 lane interstate area that climbs, turns to the left and transitions from apshalt to a concrete bridge with a bump. Traffic allowing I usually run through there at about 70mph no problem. This day I was caught up in traffic going about 45mph and happened to be right behind one of these outrigger HD's. We are in the center lane, and he's huggin the left side of the lane as we start to turn left and hit the bump. He hit the bump and the bike teeters from right to left and starts skittering across the lane. He ended up 1/2 in the next lane before getting it under control. I though he was going to put it in the wall at 45mph, WTF?!

Stromin'Nroman 07-09-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto (Post 19089439)

That's a lot of miles for a trailer.

bete 07-09-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerShakenbak (Post 19089377)

This one is funny as hell. The last dude seems to crash just because his buds did, sheep I tell u.

Road Hound 07-09-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bete (Post 19091896)
This one is funny as hell. The last dude seems to crash just because his buds did, sheep I tell u.

I sure would like to hear the 3 different, "I had to lay her down" stories that these guys tell.:rofl

ErikY. 07-09-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

"The target fixation is strong in this one..."
Happens a lot actually, especially in the untrained.

Lion BR 07-09-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzband (Post 19062067)

Quote:

You guys should teach these guys here how to ride.

http://portoalegre.smugmug.com/Other...eak-2011-M.jpg

Especially that one with the 555 number plate. :D

Lion

RogerShakenbak 07-09-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Hound (Post 19091992)
I sure would like to hear the 3 different, "I had to lay her down" stories that these guys tell.:rofl

I thought it was ironic that the only one that was wearing any substantial gear was hit head on by a douche bag. Poor fella's vacation was ruined.

dwoodward 07-09-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Curvin (Post 19084557)
Psssst. Hey.......DW. You been over here? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805304

Yeah. TLDR.

Edit- OK, I read it. Then I replied, quoting and agreeing with him. Which doesn't seem to support your position. Further discussion over there so I can get back to oogling funny people here.

Benesesso 07-09-2012 04:42 PM

In the 2nd set of those pix, it looks like one rider may have broken his left leg. It's at the end of sequence as he's getting up.

Beto 07-09-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benesesso (Post 19092648)
In the 2nd set of those pix, it looks like one rider may have broken his left leg. It's at the end of sequence as he's getting up.

Yikes... hawkeye Benesesso!

That's gotta hurt

Huzband 07-09-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion BR (Post 19092101)

Lion

You must be a cross-controlling genius. I'm sure you can get away with it for a lifetime. :rolleyes

Oh, btw, ever raced Pikes Peak yerself? A bit differnt than street riding, wouldn't you say?

dwthump 07-09-2012 07:05 PM

I Don't See Fail

The pic of the matching red bikes peaked my curiosity. Both riders seem like they are reading the road ahead well, although their left elbows are a bit high. I probably look the same when I take my KLR into the twisties!

Darren
'09 KLR (Blue)

Huzband 07-09-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwthump (Post 19093656)
The pic of the matching red bikes peaked my curiosity. Both riders seem like they are reading the road ahead well, although their left elbows are a bit high. I probably look the same when I take my KLR into the twisties!

Darren
'09 KLR (Blue)

You know, I'd love to see a KLR class at Pikes Peak. But I doubt their calendar goes out that far. :lol3

Bill Harris 07-09-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Dang, so that's what Lemmings look like.

That sequence hurts just looking at it....

Lion BR 07-09-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzband (Post 19093493)
You must be a cross-controlling genius. I'm sure you can get away with it for a lifetime. :rolleyes

Oh, btw, ever raced Pikes Peak yerself? A bit differnt than street riding, wouldn't you say?

What part is different? The paved one where that picture picture was taken? :roflOr the gravel part that comes later?

And no, I have not raced at pikes peak. I don't have the balls nor the skills to do it. The only race I ever participated on was an enduro race. That yes, was really different. A lot slower, of course, but still fun.

100mpg 07-09-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3 I can't even imagine that buy being allowed to ride anymore.

Barry 07-10-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Lion

I ran up the mountain in 2010 when the factory Duc effort was there. You have no idea how freaking fast those guys were both on pavement and dirt. During practice on the bottom part I was running flat out in 5th on my 560 SMR, which is probably right around 100mph, in a right hand sweeper. I left about 3 ft. on the outside edge, and damn if one of the Ducs didn't pass me at what seemed like 130mph in that space. I believe they were clocked on pavement at 149 mph, or something ridiculous like that. And there were no "long" straights... they were just flat gittin' it everywhere. Very fast guys.

Barry

rocker59 07-10-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwthump (Post 19093656)
Both riders seem like they are reading the road ahead well

Darren
'09 KLR (Blue)

Yes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ndySchranz.JPG

Paebr332 07-10-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker59 (Post 19096150)

Dude is WAY over the yellow line. :wink:

LuciferMutt 07-10-2012 06:45 AM

Pikes Peak?

thetable 07-10-2012 06:57 AM

Sometimes the killkids wander into the road and even lay in it to watch the killboy blow crap up while the killgurl takes pictures, so if coming through in the middle of the night, watch out for killkids laying in the middle of the road...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7278/7...f9c98de4_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7...0eb93979_b.jpg
Photo credits go to Lori Cannon.

helotaxi 07-10-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

It would be hard to look through the turn (ie proper form) if the brow of the helmet is in the way. You'll notice that racers with the bike laid all the way over have their head more upright just so they can see. Nothing to do with equilibrium, everything to vision.

DAKEZ 07-10-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry (Post 19095892)
I ran up the mountain in 2010 when the factory Duc effort was there. You have no idea how freaking fast those guys were both on pavement and dirt. During practice on the bottom part I was running flat out in 5th on my 560 SMR, which is probably right around 100mph, in a right hand sweeper. I left about 3 ft. on the outside edge, and damn if one of the Ducs didn't pass me at what seemed like 130mph in that space. I believe they were clocked on pavement at 149 mph, or something ridiculous like that. And there were no "long" straights... they were just flat gittin' it everywhere. Very fast guys.

Barry

The fast ones average about 60mph.

Lion BR 07-10-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 19096940)
The fast ones average about 60mph.

And on a full screen view of the video (posted on the hang-off thread) you can read the speed on the Ducati dash. Average 60 mph makes sense.

gastone 07-10-2012 08:20 AM

12.42 miles, fastest time on a bike 11:11.329 = 66.6mph average.

Bill Harris 07-10-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetable (Post 19096613)
Sometimes the killkids wander into the road and even lay in it to watch the killboy blow crap up while the killgurl takes pictures, so if coming through in the middle of the night, watch out for killkids laying in the middle of the road...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7278/7...f9c98de4_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7...0eb93979_b.jpg

Ah, prototypes of the new SCMs? (Surface-to-Cruiser Missiles)?

(or Squid, or Trike, or Pirate, your choice)

Nice pics...

Flying-D 07-10-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Isn't it obvious? He had to, "lay 'er down!":rofl

genka 07-10-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benesesso (Post 19072040)

Was he the guy who composed ringtones for cell phones?

BK 07-10-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genka (Post 19098436)
Was he the guy who composed ringtones for cell phones?

No, he wrote the music for the kit-kat commercials.

TrashCan 07-10-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetable (Post 19096613)

As Paul Harvey says...

Originally Posted by Killboy http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif
I'm not defending these ADULTS actions, stop trying to dramatize everything like they are my children calling them killkids. I am no more responsible for their dumb decisions than I am for your dumb decisions. I was over by the water in the dark lighting fireworks off, and had no idea what was going on with the road thing until after. Lesson learned, it won't happen again if I can help it, so maybe we can tone down the cult hyperbole?

:ear

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...17702731_n.jpg

thetable 07-10-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 19098898)
As Paul Harvey says...

Originally Posted by Killboy http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif
[I]I'm not defending these ADULTS actions

So I'm guessing you missed KB's post right before this one, where he was, indeed defending the actions of the killkids. You know, the post with the pictures in it...

TrashCan 07-10-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetable (Post 19099127)
So I'm guessing you missed KB's post right before this one, where he was, indeed defending the actions of the killkids. You know, the post with the pictures in it...

Been a member since 2005, saw all of the post.

I guess different people see the same thing a little different.:dunno

Originally Posted by thetable http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/cRaSH/viewpost.gif

I'm not defending these ADULTS actions, stop trying to dramatize everything like they are my children calling them killkids. I am no more responsible for their dumb decisions than I am for your dumb decisions. I was over by the water in the dark lighting fireworks off, and had no idea what was going on with the road thing until after. Lesson learned, it won't happen again if I can help it, so maybe we can tone down the cult hyperbole?

gmk999 07-10-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 19098898)
As Paul Harvey says...

:ear

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...17702731_n.jpg

^^^ Jerry Garcia on meth^^^:lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:56 AM.