ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

Terrytori 05-28-2011 06:14 AM

Yeah... I know... it's not the Dragon but we all seem to be interested in people trying to cancel our Check on a permanent basis.

Sorry if this has already been posted

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/p...oad/#continued

baloneyskin daddy 05-28-2011 07:33 AM

There was no contact so the police could care less.

DAKEZ 05-28-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coop74 (Post 16022616)
I stand corrected...

:rofl
It is still technically speeding but is allowed that you can exceed the "limit" to safely maneuver around a slower moving vehicle. It does not mean that you can go blasting past the slow one... It needs to be done in a reasonable and prudent manner.

I like that Idaho has signs posted that if you have cars backed up behind you that you are required to use the pull-outs to let them safely pass. AND THEY ENFORCE IT!!! (especially during the Summer months) :D

LngRidr 05-28-2011 08:39 AM

IS this thread about pictures of people being dumb? Cause it sure seems like theres a bunch of guys would would rather just stand around and whip them out and compare them.

250senuf 05-28-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrytori (Post 16025370)
Yeah... I know... it's not the Dragon but we all seem to be interested in people trying to cancel our Check on a permanent basis.

Sorry if this has already been posted

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/p...oad/#continued

Has it's own thread already. "truck tries to punt biker"

Wheedle 05-28-2011 04:43 PM

You folks realize that you can brake while cornering... actually very hard given adequate traction. Even without ABS...

Just saying... there seems to be some 'never touch the brakes in a corner' sentiment here...

Some Mook 05-28-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheedle (Post 16028397)
You folks realize that you can brake while cornering... actually very hard given adequate traction. Even without ABS...

I'm thinking that if one finds the need to brake very hard while cornering, someone fucked up along the line somewhere.

cardoctor1 05-28-2011 06:55 PM

May 21, 2011: Busy Saturday but two head-on accidents closed the roadway for several hours in the early afternoon. At least one rider had to be transported to a medical facility.
Another late afternoon accident had Graham County responding to the Cherohala Skyway.
Let these be reminders to ride safe on these challenging roads. Accidents spoil it for others and can result in a costly air-lift, serious injury and sometimes worse.

Wheedle 05-28-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Mook (Post 16028677)
I'm thinking that if one finds the need to brake very hard while cornering, someone fucked up along the line somewhere.

So... you should just say fuck it and pile on into whatever it is you found in your path? How about some moron deciding they want your lane not the one they are supposed to be in? Shit happens, being able to deal with the unexpected is a good thing...

scarysharkface 05-28-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheedle (Post 16029225)
So... you should just say fuck it and pile on into whatever it is you found in your path? How about some moron deciding they want your lane not the one they are supposed to be in? Shit happens, being able to deal with the unexpected is a good thing...

I think he's saying don't grab and handful and lock the front wheel.

David R 05-28-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Just saying... there seems to be some 'never touch the brakes in a corner' sentiment here...

I agree, but not if you are past the limit of traction already. Stuff on that bike is dragging. Putting the brake on will try to compress the suspension and have Less traction.

Or the bike is dragging, the brake will not change the center of gravity. The front wheel will just stop turning.

Just what I see in the pic.

I was in the adirondacks last weekend doing some spirited riding.I was thinking of the original post. I touched the yellow line a couple of times.

As Clint Eastwood would say " A man has got to know his limitations "

David

Some Mook 05-28-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Mook (Post 16028677)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheedle (Post 16029225)

Would the moron deciding they wanted to be in your lane not be the "someone" who fucked up?

Reryder 05-28-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

You can, but you really have to know what you are doing. For many, it is just a good way to fall off.

Your tires only have X amount of traction.
1. If corning forces (centrifugal/centriptal) are using say 90 per cent of X, then you have less than 10 per cent of X available for braking. Very dodgy.
2. On the other hand, if cornering forces are using only 10 per cent of X, then you have almost 90 per cent of traction available for braking.

Unfortunately, when riders get into a corner too hot, they are usually closer to scenario 1 than 2.

enduro0125 05-28-2011 07:52 PM

Trail braking

Learn it. :deal

Wheedle 05-28-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reryder (Post 16029535)
You can, but you really have to know what you are doing. For many, it is just a good way to fall off..

New riders should not be trying trail braking... bu they should be working towards understanding and learning it. It is a valuable tool.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:33 AM.