ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

outlaws justice 05-29-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majlee_vmi (Post 16031189)
Okay, I've read the article. Theoretically, I understand it, but how do I learn it? Obviously, sounds like I need to go and find a track course and be taught the technique by an expert in order to properly learn it.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Try a total control Class, www.totalcontroltraining.net

E full section both theory and hands on for trail braking

Savoir-Faire 05-29-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripped1 (Post 16034718)
Ok I got to ask.....where is your wind screen :D

He looks like a big guy. Probably off so he can fit. Buddy had a CBR600RR the first year they came out. I took it for a ride but just sitting on it my head was in front of the top edge of the windshield. :huh

Tripped1 05-29-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majlee_vmi (Post 16031189)
Okay, I've read the article. Theoretically, I understand it, but how do I learn it? Obviously, sounds like I need to go and find a track course and be taught the technique by an expert in order to properly learn it.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Well a track certainly helps. In truth its hard to really learn what your brakes are capable of anyway without a track.

Even than, expert instruction isn't a requirement, but it does take practice, if you can blip-downshifts and keep steady pressure on the brakes you can trail....of course to trail or not to trail is an entirely different argument, and you will hear it both ways.

I think its a required technique that should be in every riders' toolbox, others don't feel its safe.

Wheedle 05-29-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Curvin (Post 16034646)
Unpossible! You'll die a fiery death and burn to ashes. It's extra fun in the dirt cause you can tuck the front then catch it with the throttle.

:wink:

Some of the biggest fun I've had at the track was on a motarded DRZ400S at 'Little' Talladega on the old Pilot Powers. Every lap I was loosing the the front, the back, or both pretty much every corner and gathering it back up. :lol3

Wheedle 05-29-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcgates (Post 16034867)
Ahh, never done the whole full-tilt cornering. Something about starting on an old, wobbly UJM cured me of trying to drag hard parts. :lol3

Nothng is more fun than embarassing current gen race reps on something goofy :evil

Wheedle 05-29-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripped1 (Post 16035443)
I think its a required technique that should be in every riders' toolbox, others don't feel its safe.

others dont understand it or cant do it.

Tripped1 05-29-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheedle (Post 16036208)
others dont understand it or cant do it.

perhaps

xcgates 05-29-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheedle (Post 16036198)
Nothng is more fun than embarassing current gen race reps on something goofy :evil

Last time I really tried to let loose, it started bucking all to hell, and I blew across two lanes of interstate. :eek1

Not saying I can't have fun, but she don't like too much hammering. I suspect the suspension is not quite right, as she handles better with a few pounds of luggage on.:huh

FlySniper 05-29-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enduro0125 (Post 16029570)
Trail braking

Learn it. :deal

What's more? I went riding with another inmate who taught me to trail brake off road (gravel, dirt, roots, etc...) using the FRONT brake.

I thought it was dangerous, stupid and a sure fire way to wad you and your bike into a ball on the side of the trail. To say the least, it scared me at first.

Turns out, he was right! The bike is more controllable, you can carry more speed, turn sharper and get through stuff that would be very hard at low speeds. When you mix it in with spinning/sliding the rear it's awesome!

Tripped1 05-29-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheedle (Post 16036198)

My last track day I "thought" I was kicking ass....than I got passed by one of the coaches on a stock FZ6 WITH A 260 POUND passenger.

FlySniper 05-29-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfromthestix (Post 16031753)
I learned about trail braking starting about 45 years ago when I was first getting into competition riding on dirt bikes (motocross, enduros, trials, etc.). ....................

Well, I shoulda' read a bit more..... 205'd again!:freaky

fitenfyr 05-29-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolomoto (Post 16033021)
Trail Braking is a key skill taught in the MSF Military Sportbike Rider Course (and nearly identical to the MSF ARC-ST).

Ahh....well the MSRC TRIES to teach "trail braking" but does a VERY poor job of it.
I am a MSRC coach and honestly that portion of the cirriculum is just a "teaser" into how to effectivly use trail braking.

Heck some of the MSRC coaches out there don't even fully understand it themselves.

The concept in the MSRC/MSF ARC-ST is to expose students to braking in a corner and doing it without loosing control. Not really to show you how to setup for a corner utilizing trail braking or make mid corner corrections with the technique.

If you want a good course on trail braking then you need to find a track. Somewhere that will give you the class room basics of how front, rear or both effect the bike and how to properly use them.
Then put you on the track to try it out.

On the street is no place to learn trail braking and certainly not on your own.

dolomoto 05-29-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripped1 (Post 16035443)
Well a track certainly helps. In truth its hard to really learn what your brakes are capable of anyway without a track.

Even than, expert instruction isn't a requirement, but it does take practice, if you can blip-downshifts and keep steady pressure on the brakes you can trail....of course to trail or not to trail is an entirely different argument, and you will hear it both ways.

WTF? "Blipping the throttle" and trail braking have nothing to do with each other. Dude, stick to your armchair academics..have you even been on a track?

For street riding, most riders should do most of their braking when the moto is straight up and down (no lean)...a more experienced rider will do the same but reserve some, small portion of the braking as the moto leans into the curve...therefore easing the transition of the suspension and also easing the transition from off-throttle (braking) to on-throttle (accelerating thru the corner).

Blipping the throttle is academic to this exercise as the rider should be matching the road speed to engine speed for a given gear. Blipping the throttle does nothing for that.

Slipper clutches negate this either way.

Trail braking is an Advanced Skill that most street riders should master...independent of throttle position...IMO.

YMMV. :norton

dolomoto 05-29-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitenfyr (Post 16036937)
Ahh....well the MSRC TRIES to teach "trail braking" but does a VERY poor job of it.
...snipped...
On the street is no place to learn trail braking and certainly not on your own.

The MSRC is not a great course, but in it's absence...there's...Nothing. For whatever reason, the DoD has decided to put all Faith in the MSF (regardless of their allegiance to the industry..vis-a-vis, the MIC) vs. relying on more commercial interests...(Total Control, CSS, and many, many others).

I reckon we should dance with the one that brung us...after 14 years...I turned in my dance card.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Crisis management 05-29-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolomoto (Post 16036940)
WTF? "Blipping the throttle" and trail braking have nothing to do with each other. Dude, stick to your armchair academics..have you even been on a track?

You may be overreacting a little..... I took that comment to be something like "one of the skills you should master; blipping the throttle, trail braking, riding side saddle etc"

Mind you, I could be wrong too, I remember being wrong once before, 1984 or 86? :D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:24 AM.