ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

Moving Pictures 06-22-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 16227338)
Good God, Alert The Media!

Consider me alerted. Well, mostly. At this hour, I only work for rum and coke.

kg4lho 06-22-2011 08:04 PM

AND.......We're Back. :huh

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6Id8ieF2Sl...0/img_3566.jpg

And Benji makes three??:eek1
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-beYsSDvXdT...0/img_4247.jpg

Censport 06-23-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 16221145)
He was probably riding in a totally safe and prudent fashion, obeying all speed and traffic regulations and wearing hi-vis clothing. Must not have had ABS.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it... well, he could be a squid... just maybe. :cry

Was your clue the license plate zip-tied to the rearsets? :wink:
http://montgomerycountypolicereporte...6/DSC09542.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 16228905)
Problem is to certain lawyers, trucking company equals big settlement. Even when the driver and company are completely without fault, legal expenses are astronomical, especially to the driver who wont be allowed to work until it is settled.

Life isn't fair, but it really sucks when innocent victims get victimized a second time.

Ask anybody who has ever made airplane parts. Or even better, ask Dale Manufacturing, who once made flywheels and fuel pumps for Corvairs. Except they don't any more. Some idiot bought one of their automotive fuel pumps (clearly marked "For Automotive Use Only"), mounted it to his Corvair-engined home-built craft, then flew inverted. His surviving family's attorneys sued everybody that manufactured any of the parts that ended up on that home-built craft. Dale Mfg. was cleared in the lawsuit, but the expense was such that they didn't stay in business for long after that. And Corvair owners lost a good source of parts.

Rant over. Back to the pics...

BUBB 06-23-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Censport (Post 16234307)

Ask anybody who has ever made airplane parts. Or even better, ask Dale Manufacturing, who once made flywheels and fuel pumps for Corvairs. Except they don't any more. Some idiot bought one of their automotive fuel pumps (clearly marked "For Automotive Use Only"), mounted it to his Corvair-engined home-built craft, then flew inverted. His surviving family's attorneys sued everybody that manufactured any of the parts that ended up on that home-built craft. Dale Mfg. was cleared in the lawsuit, but the expense was such that they didn't stay in business for long after that. And Corvair owners lost a good source of parts.

After a brief search of the internet, I was unable to confirm your facts. I did hear a reference of a pre-2003 plane crash, but not Dale Mfg. going out of business due to the costs of litigation. Did Dale Mfg., not have insurance?

pretbek 06-23-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBB (Post 16239131)
After a brief search of the internet, I was unable to confirm your facts. I did hear a reference of a pre-2003 plane crash, but not Dale Mfg. going out of business due to the costs of litigation. Did Dale Mfg., not have insurance?

Excuse you, are you letting facts get in the way of a perfectly good story?

Ritalin Boy 06-23-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBB (Post 16239131)

No idea but I bet they do now.

MacNoob 06-23-2011 08:32 PM

Different company, the linked Dale's Mfg is not the Dale Mfg (Oregon) of Corvair parts fame. Dale sold off rights to most of the Corvair items to other Corvair vendors. He was known for flywheel, harmonic balancer, and distributor rebuilding (I have a Dale flywheel and balancer myself) but I never heard of Dale being involved with fuel pumps at all.

Censport 06-23-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacNoob (Post 16240562)
Different company, the linked Dale's Mfg is not the Dale Mfg (Oregon) of Corvair parts fame. Dale sold off rights to most of the Corvair items to other Corvair vendors. He was known for flywheel, harmonic balancer, and distributor rebuilding (I have a Dale flywheel and balancer myself) but I never heard of Dale being involved with fuel pumps at all.

Was it not Dale? Well crap, there goes my memory. Then who was it who was making fuel pumps up until a few years ago? It was after the period when all the new pumps were having diaphragm issues (which was mostly the late 80's, early 90's, I think). The owner of the company had written a letter that was published either in the Clark's catalog or in the CORSA Communique. Probably the Communique. I specifically remember the portion about the part being clearly labeled "For Automotive Use Only", and there being something about "use for anything else would void any warranty", etc. And still, they were sued.

ttpete 06-24-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Censport (Post 16234307)

Rant over. Back to the pics...

Doesn't make sense to me. A diaphragm pump will operate in any position and is not affected by being upside down. What WON'T work upside down is a float type carburetor. Neither will a Corvair oil system. In my opinion, this was pilot stupidity, nothing more.

I would have been surprised if the suit ever made it past summary judgment, because the builder of the plane was also the pilot, and he was the one who designed and built a non-type-certified aircraft that also had a non-type-certified engine out of an automobile.

MGB 06-25-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Censport (Post 16241311)
I specifically remember the portion about the part being clearly labeled "For Automotive Use Only", and there being something about "use for anything else would void any warranty", etc. And still, they were sued.

When I was sued by a neighbor over an easement, my lawyer (who fortunately had a lot of sense and was not looking to make $) made it clear that anybody can sue anybody for anything - there is no clearinghouse to determine whether a lawsuit is viable or not. Sad news is those sued end up spending $$ to show they are innocent. Bottom line - no one really comes out ahead except the lawyers.

DAKEZ 06-25-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGB (Post 16249602)
When I was sued by a neighbor over an easement, my lawyer (who fortunately had a lot of sense and was not looking to make $) made it clear that anybody can sue anybody for anything - there is no clearinghouse to determine whether a lawsuit is viable or not. Sad news is those sued end up spending $$ to show they are innocent. Bottom line - no one really comes out ahead except the lawyers.

Thus the need to change the laws to loser pays. :deal

It would almost put a stop to the frivolous ones… ALMOST. :lol3

BUBB 06-25-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 16249658)
Thus the need to change the laws to loser pays. :deal

Sort of a Darwin scheme of justice.

Then try suing Walmart or a big insurance company with your 150 dollar an hour lawyer.

PFFOG 06-25-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBB (Post 16250096)
Sort of a Darwin scheme of justice.

Then try suing Walmart or a big insurance company with your 150 dollar an hour lawyer.

Seems to work in Western Europe, Canada, and Australia. May not be perfect, but our current system is far from perfect too.

Want to read more:

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cjr_11.htm

Dewey V 06-25-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfr_firefly (Post 9690899)
the man upstairs? You must mean the imaginary magic spirit who lives in space and is angry at all humans because a woman he made of spare ribs was talked into eating the fruit from a magic tree by a talking snake. This is the same magic spirit who later came down and impregnated a virgin so he could have a son who would be killed and turned into a zombie. This was so that people could eat the meat and drink the blood from his zombie body and be saved from the stigma of what that rib-woman did by eating the magic fruit that made the magic spirit mad in the first place. Only by eating this magic zombie flesh and blood, and telepathically pledging their lives to him, can the descendants of the spare-rib woman be forgiven and follow his son whom he sent to save them from himself.

Is this "the guy upstairs" you are talking about?

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zofjkl-3sne&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

and you call me the ass...

Being in the god business tends to piss off you little peons. I guess it is just part of the act.

well said!

anotherguy 06-25-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VFR_firefly (Post 9690899)
The man upstairs? You must mean the imaginary magic spirit who lives in space and is angry at all humans because a woman he made of spare ribs was talked into eating the fruit from a magic tree by a talking snake. This is the same magic spirit who later came down and impregnated a virgin so he could have a son who would be killed and turned into a zombie. This was so that people could eat the meat and drink the blood from his zombie body and be saved from the stigma of what that rib-woman did by eating the magic fruit that made the magic spirit mad in the first place. Only by eating this magic zombie flesh and blood, and telepathically pledging their lives to him, can the descendants of the spare-rib woman be forgiven and follow his son whom he sent to save them from himself.

Is this "the guy upstairs" you are talking about?

And you call ME the ass...

Being in the god business tends to piss off you little peons. I guess it is just part of the act.

No less a stretch than everything started from nothing and started with the biggest explosion ever. And everything after that was pure random chaos. It's all a vain attempt to explain what we cannot hold in our hands.

Me? I haven't a clue so I ride and leave all that shit up to those who don't.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:20 PM.