ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

IheartmyNx 06-30-2011 10:04 AM

Hey, next time break the quote txt so I can reply to you...

Oh and hey, how many Shnyder, Hunt or any other providers are getting payed $2 a mile?

Nice rip, smart ass. It aint the owners of the companies driving them:rolleyes

Last I checked drivers get payed by the mile, and it sure as hell aint $2 per mile. IMO lot of them do it just to say they did it.

How many MC riders pass through Deals just to say they did it?

Don't tell me what freight costs to move, b/c I already know.

I drove the sportbike of trucking, an Expediter.

Just cause you drive, correction, are foolish enough to carry a CDL and ride yer bike...

Quote:

Subpart B - Minimum standards for substantial compliance by states

384.226Prohibition on masking convictions.
The State must not mask, defer imposition of judgment, or allow an individual to enter into a diversion program that would prevent a CDL driver's conviction for any violation, in any type of motor vehicle, of a State or local traffic control law (except a parking violation) from appearing on the CDLIS driver record, whether the driver was convicted for an offense committed in the State where the driver is licensed or another State.
[67 FR 49762, July 31, 2002, as amended at 73 FR 73126, Dec. 1, 2008]
...don't come at me like I'm a fucking troll (Last I checked this is just a BS area and I can speak my mind) and don't know WTF I'm talking about.

IheartmyNx 06-30-2011 10:10 AM

Where are the CDL drivers looking at this shit and screaming "LOC!".

Yet HTT riders get on here and the 1st pic they see of a 2ft wide, 4ft long MC LOC and it's tisk-tisk.

What was that word??? Oh yeah, irony...

DAKEZ 06-30-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IheartmyNx (Post 16289690)
Last I checked drivers get payed by the mile, and it sure as hell aint $2 per mile. IMO lot of them do it just to say they did it.Just cause you drive, correction, are foolish enough to carry a CDL and ride yer bike...

...don't come at me like I'm a fucking troll (Last I checked this is just a BS area and I can speak my mind) and don't know WTF I'm talking about.

OK Suzie... Unbunch your panties. Please show us where he said a driver gets $2 mile.

What it said was: It costs about $2 a mile to operate a semi truck...

IheartmyNx 06-30-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 16289807)
OK Suzie... Unbunch your panties. Please show us where he said a driver gets $2 mile.

What it said was: It costs about $2 a mile to operate a semi truck...

He didnt. Like you in this post, I was trying to make a point.

The last person that gives two shits what it costs to move that truck, was the guy driving it...

Ritalin Boy 06-30-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Oh and hey, how many Shnyder, Hunt or any other providers are getting payed $2 a mile?

Last I checked drivers get payed by the mile, and it sure as hell aint $2 per mile. IMO lot of them do it just to say they did it.

I drove the sportbike of trucking, an Expediter.

Just cause you drive, correction, are foolish enough to carry a CDL and ride yer bike...

You really are a total country hick aren't you? :lol3

The CPM (cost per mile as you probably can't handle acronyms) includes things like fuel, maintenance, taxes and paying the driver.

If your truck driving buddies were getting paid $2 per mile it would likely cost around 4.25 per mile to run the truck.

IheartmyNx 06-30-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyclad (Post 16289571)
I could agree with your statement about getting the goods where they need to go, if there were any businesses along the Dragon. There isn't anything between Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort in NC and the 129 Motorcycle Pitstop in TN.

Love your sig line... (that's pun intended for all the HTTs)

I'll just sit here and tap my fingers on my PC till the HTT's that slammed me for saying trucks don't belong up there, see your post.

...waiting

......waiting

.............still waiting

Tall Man 06-30-2011 11:33 AM

More intermodal transport now.

California 06-30-2011 11:38 AM

I just have one question..............

Why do they allow semi trucks on that road? It's clearly not safe to have those big assed MoFo's on those turns. Is there no other route? WTF?

IheartmyNx 06-30-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California (Post 16290360)
I just have one question..............

Why do they allow semi trucks on that road? It's clearly not safe to have those big assed MoFo's on those turns. Is there no other route? WTF?

I seriously don't know why it's legal there and not places like the Natchez Trace.

Hell, I just went on it (the Trace) from TN to MS and there wasn't so much as a sharp turn.

I honestly see them using that section as just a place to see and to be able to say they did it.

I'd take one look at that on a map and say hell no, find me a way with less squiggly lines. Damn at the gear shifting alone!

klaviator 06-30-2011 12:25 PM

Many states do post maximum length limits for really curvy roads. I don't know why TN doesn't.

The Natchez trace and BRP don't allow Commercial vehicles because they are for recreational use, not because of tight curves.

As for an alternate route to Deals Gap, there are some but they are a long way around.

I'm also wondering if I'm the only one who hasn't bought into the "Dragon" hype and still calls it Deal's Gap???

:hide

Buckstoy 06-30-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IheartmyNx (Post 16290621)
I seriously don't know why it's legal there and not places like the Natchez Trace.

The Natchez Trace is a 444 mile long National Park, I don't think The Tail of the Dragon has that going for it.

IheartmyNx 06-30-2011 12:34 PM

My questions or comments arent more about why is the Trace this, or that.

But more like, why isnt Deals?

If I was a PI/ Liability attorney, I'd live up there... CHA-CHING baby!

windmill 06-30-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

When I was an owner operator, I was paid $2 - $6 a mile, problem was expenses were about 75%.

When I hauled cell tower equipment, I often had to use roads like the dragon and worse. Was it legal? Yes. Did I ever need both lanes? Yes. Did it suck? Yes. But sometimes that's the job.

Using a road like the dragon is a driver fail unless it is the only option. Doing it for fun? They wont be a driver long.

Why is it part of the national network allowing commercial traffic? I don't know.

windmill 06-30-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyclad (Post 16289571)
The point he is trying to make is that trucks are dangerous on that road, or any other road like it. It is NOT physically possible for a semi pulling a 40ft (or longer) trailer to stay within their lane on the Dragon. It might be possible with a 32ft (and a short semi), but I would not count on it. I guess this guy just doesn't know how to drive his truck, according to you.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/photo...ks/truck01.jpg

or this driver
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/photo...uck_091403.jpg

I could agree with your statement about getting the goods where they need to go, if there were any businesses along the Dragon. There isn't anything between Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort in NC and the 129 Motorcycle Pitstop in TN.

I respect the job that truck drivers have to do, and always do what I can to help them out when I am driving (holding traffic for lane change, giving room at intersections). When it comes to risking the health and safety of other drivers on the road because they see a "shortcut", that is where the change from professional driver to freaking idiot comes in.

How much money do ya think this guy saved?
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/photo...uck_092103.jpg<!-- SPLIT TABLE--><!-- SPLIT TABLE--><!-- SPLIT TABLE-->

Probably more than this driver
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/photos/trucks/080107.jpg

The one question those pictures don't answer. How far from their destination are they? 1 mile, 10 miles, 100 miles, 1000 miles? Without that information how can you make a judgment on their choice of route?

Savoir-Faire 06-30-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaviator (Post 16281544)
I doubt that most of the really great roads will ever become real popular like Deals Gap because:

1. They don't have a cute name like "Dragon" or "Snake"
2. There are no photographers to document you were there.
3. There is no T shirt to buy to prove to your friends that you were there.
4. The curves are too tight for most of the sportbike/cruiser/touring riders
5. The road surfaces are often not perfect (and sometimes not even paved:eek1)
6. Most people don't leave the beaten path, they might get lost.
7. Most riders are not on this forum.

I've been riding the area for years, usuelly for a week at a time. Typically I can ride for a week and not see another bike except on the main roads or in towns.

I'm talking roads like this:

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...R/CIMG3136.jpg

And don't ask me the name of this road.

Look like Wayah Road to me.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:25 AM.