ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

spagthorpe 08-31-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndiaPaleAle (Post 16757344)
87% of me is shaking my fist at the Corvette. 13% of me is certain that the bike had been going 30mph for miles without pulling off to the side.

30mph for a Harley through the gap is giving him a lot of credit...

DAKEZ 08-31-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff (Post 16759179)
I've done that a time or three out in Red Rock canyon. Some people want to drive 35 to 40 MPH on that road when the speed limit's 50. I don't want to pass 'em for a few reasons, so I just pull over and gain some space :nod

I find reasons to pass 'em. :D

ParrotheadJeff 09-01-2011 12:04 AM

Oh, sure there's reasons to pass 'em :1drink A few of the problems with doing that out in Red Rock include poor sight lines in many places even if there's no double yellow, burros, stupid drivers passing on the outside of a turn over the double yellow, and the rangers who I'm told don't like motorcycles. I'm usually up there to clear my mind and get the day that's passed into the past, so I'm only going about 50 to 60 MPH at the most :bmwrider

Of course, half the time you pass someone out there who's going 35 to 45 MPH, they speed up and tailgate you :bluduh I'd rather be alone on the road so I can ride my own ride :ricky

Oh yeah - with three months on the road and about 2700 miles on the bike, I'm still a total n00b and my main focus is keeping the shiny side up :thumb

DAKEZ 09-01-2011 12:08 AM

:thumb

gelandestrasse 09-01-2011 06:37 AM

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BNSb1yjlris" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offcamber 09-01-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe (Post 16757687)
Funny, I was in the area and rode through some of the dragon this summer. I was stuck behind some super slow Goldwings, and Harleys and I ended up making a u-turn and not even finishing the ride. I was getting frustrated and when I get frustrated I do stupid things. Like passing like that vette (assuming the sight line made it dangerous), and then ripping. Better to retreat than hurt myself so I bailed and played on some other roads in the area.
I was at Indy this weekend and saw someone wearing this shirt and I thought of all of the destination roads that I have ever ridden.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/im...nd_jok_whi.jpg

I need that shirt!!!!!

LuciferMutt 09-01-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam (Post 16758955)
Just pull over and count slowly to 30 then proceed on an empty road at your preferred pace. Repeat as necessary.

I do this sometimes on my favorite twisty but on really bad days I end up pulling over WAY too often...like every two minutes. If you pull over and count to 30, another car or three will pass and you'll be stuck behind some other person. I resigned myself a long time ago to just not ride that road on Sundays anymore.

JimVonBaden 09-01-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff (Post 16759615)
Oh, sure there's reasons to pass 'em :1drink A few of the problems with doing that out in Red Rock include poor sight lines in many places even if there's no double yellow, burros, stupid drivers passing on the outside of a turn over the double yellow, and the rangers who I'm told don't like motorcycles. I'm usually up there to clear my mind and get the day that's passed into the past, so I'm only going about 50 to 60 MPH at the most :bmwrider

Of course, half the time you pass someone out there who's going 35 to 45 MPH, they speed up and tailgate you :bluduh I'd rather be alone on the road so I can ride my own ride :ricky

Oh yeah - with three months on the road and about 2700 miles on the bike, I'm still a total n00b and my main focus is keeping the shiny side up :thumb

You are doing the right thing Jeff, especially at your experience lavel. I applaud your willingness to hold back while you learn.:clap

Also, having ridden/driven Redrock many many times, there are simply too many tourists on that road looking at the great scenery and taking photos, to consider it any kind of a fun high speed road. People literally stop in the middle of the road to take pictures, instead of pulling over. NOT a good road for practicing dragging a knee!:deal

Jim :brow

FinlandThumper 09-01-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndiaPaleAle (Post 16757344)
87% of me is shaking my fist at the Corvette. 13% of me is certain that the bike had been going 30mph for miles without pulling off to the side.

Yep.

I ride a Harley. It's one of my bikes. It doesn't handle a road like the dragon as quickly as many other kinds. Not a strength. So when I AM on a road like that, and happen to be on the HD, I am conscious of this and of other people. I have this technique I call "waving faster traffic by". I use it also on my other bike, the one I have now and those I have owned previously.

Doesn't even have to be a twisty road. If I'm just riding along and enjoying my groove at whatever speed, I wave them by. Since I check my mirror and don't have a dick size complex, it's really not any problem for me.

Usually folks appreciate it.

scarysharkface 09-01-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinlandThumper (Post 16760979)
Yep.

I ride a Harley. It's one of my bikes. It doesn't handle a road like the dragon as quickly as many other kinds. Not a strength. So when I AM on a road like that, and happen to be on the HD, I am conscious of this and of other people. I have this technique I call "waving faster traffic by". I use it also on my other bike, the one I have now and those I have owned previously.

Doesn't even have to be a twisty road. If I'm just riding along and enjoying my groove at whatever speed, I wave them by. Since I check my mirror and don't have a dick size complex, it's really not any problem for me.

Usually folks appreciate it.

A-friggen-men. I do that as well.

John

MurphCO 09-01-2011 09:42 AM

does it still count if i wave 'em by with my dick?

scarysharkface 09-01-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurphCO (Post 16761796)
does it still count if i wave 'em by with my dick?

Only if they can see it.

enduro0125 09-01-2011 10:07 AM

Again,we Americans can learn from the Euro's.

Passing someone is not a crime over there.

JimVonBaden 09-01-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enduro0125 (Post 16761972)
Again,we Americans can learn from the Euro's.

Passing someone SAFELY is not a crime over there.

Here either!:deal

Jim :brow

Alleycatdad 09-01-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offcamber (Post 16760580)
I need that shirt!!!!!

Found it!

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/produ...clowns-t-shirt

S

EDIT: Sheesh! you gotta really want it to pay the shipping!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:11 AM.