ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

lemieuxmc 09-04-2011 04:40 PM

No matter what road you are on, no matter how well trained you are supposed to be, it is considered bad riding form to wind up dead because you weren't riding in a reasonable and prudent fashion.

www.10news.com/news/28972141/detail.html

pbarmy 09-04-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBones (Post 16782686)
318 curves, 11 miles, and 1 broken collar bone (at least) yesterday - some guy coming the other way ran wide. Coulda been worse, I guess.

http://joeybones.smugmug.com/photos/...-N2tvwq8-M.jpg

On another note, I will never go back on a holiday weekend. I knew it would be bad but on my one-way pass through the Gap (TN > NC) as part of a larger trip I spent most of the 11 miles in second gear.

Huh,my friends are down there this weekend,hope it wasnt one of them!

MurphCO 09-05-2011 10:10 AM

So someone fell and broke their collarbone....is it necessary for everyone to come to a screeching halt?

And douche bag standing on the double yellow, someone please run him over.....

See how the accident is off the side and out of the way? Everyone else DO THE SAME

spagthorpe 09-05-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrphotoman (Post 16769382)
That is a snapping turtle, they are very fast and very agressive lol. Be careful around those things :eek1

Big one in the road a few weeks ago. I realized that he couldn't open his mouth quite enough to get my boot in there, so I continued to scoot him across the road. He hissed, and struck at me a lot, but never got hold of anything.

A few years ago, I was in the mountains in San Diego, and there was the biggest snapper I've seen crossing the road heading back to the lake. Actually, he was just sunning at the time. He had a huge head, and no doubt would have done serious damage. Another motorist had stopped, so we got him to bite down on a branch, and while he was holding it, the two of us (he was that big) picked him up and moved him.

Cool critters though.

Jim Moore 09-06-2011 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBones (Post 16782686)
I knew it would be bad but on my one-way pass through the Gap (TN > NC) as part of a larger trip I spent most of the 11 miles in second gear.

I don't understand. What's the problem with that? I did most of it in first gear on my GS last time I was there. Second gear was just too high for most of those turns.

klaviator 09-06-2011 06:26 AM

I also went to Deals Gap for Labor Day weekend. I saw total mayhem. Guys in full leathers on high performance bikes riding flat out, often in packs of 5 or more, going around corners dragging their knees while trying to pass each other:eek1
I say over two dozen crashes an a period of about an hour.

And that was just in the Parking lot!

They had 88cc mini super moto races in the parking lot on saturday night. It was some pretty exciting racing.

As for 129 through Deals Gap, despite what you see on Killboy, the majority of the traffic crawls through there at a snails pace. Lets face it, most drivers, and riders, have no clue how to go around curves. Riding deals gap anytime it is busy is just a frustrating experience unless you really enjoy riding along in a 20 MPH parade.

Aussijussi 09-06-2011 07:30 AM

Sounds like it's the only bit of twisty road in the entire state. It must have the greatest ' look at me' factor around!

Jim Moore 09-06-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussijussi (Post 16794503)
Sounds like it's the only bit of twisty road in the entire state. It must have the greatest ' look at me' factor around!

There are all kinds of twisty roads around, but Deals Gap is a scene, a destination. Lots of bikes. Lots of fun stuff to look at. Kinda like a bike night. It's fun, despite what all the middle-aged hand wringers around here say.

PFFOG 09-06-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussijussi (Post 16794503)

There are dozens of BETTER roads within a 100 mile radius. But the GAP is the famous one that every pirate, racer wannabee, car club etc dreams about, because of the marketing and its fame.

I have been going to the area for several years at least once a year for a week and a half at a time. I always waste at least one to 1-1/2 sets of tires in that time (2500-3000 miles), and have only ridden the GAP once in the last 5 years, and that was to get where I was going, not to ride the road.

Here is a week old Pilot Road 2 at 2700 miles, it was new when I arrived in southern VA, as you can see, plenty of twisties in the area!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1273184051.jpg

Boondox 09-06-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 16794696)
There are all kinds of twisty roads around, but Deals Gap is a scene, a destination. Lots of bikes. Lots of fun stuff to look at. Kinda like a bike night. It's fun, despite what all the middle-aged hand wringers around here say.

I never understood the hype, but then for me motorcycling is about the ride, not about waypoints. Guess that makes me a hand-wringer. And try as I might, Deals Gap was simply too crowded for me to get in a good run. That was on a Tuesday and the place was slammed with sloth riders.

I was going to try again early the next day, before the pirates woke up, but by then I had discovered the Snake, the Cherohala, and a score of other roads that were less crowded and a lot more fun.

Been there, done that, bought the decal and never looked back.

uraberg 09-06-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFFOG (Post 16795016)

Do you ever turn right?

Josephvman 09-06-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaviator (Post 16771673)
I have done quite a bit of driving in Sicily and enjoyed it quite a bit. There people will routinely pull out and pass with traffic coming the other way. The car being passed will move over to the right as will the car coming the other way, leaving just enough room in the middle of the road for the car doing the passing. I don't recall seeing any silly double yellow lines but then it's been a while since I was there.

I have also been to Korea. The drivers there are way more aggresive than the Italians:eek1

The one rule everyone in Europe (with the exception of left-drive countries of course) does seem to follow is that you only pass on the left, and slower traffic keeps right. If we could only get that across to everyone in North America the roads would be half as dangerous as they are now. We have too little training and too many lanes for the idiots who drive here.

JDLuke 09-06-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraberg (Post 16795215)
Do you ever turn right?

Probably a NASCAR fan. :lol3

Dranrab Luap 09-06-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 16794696)

I swear we must be related. I could hang out at the Deals Gap store or on one of the better corners all day long. In addition to being a damn fun road, it's great for people watching, bike watching and bullshitting.

PFFOG 09-06-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraberg (Post 16795215)
Do you ever turn right?

Believe me there is not as much tread as it seems on the right, it was real close to being gone too.

But lefts give cleaner sight lines and are usually taken at higher speed due to the larger radius.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:48 AM.