ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

richarddacat 10-30-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatland964 (Post 17189862)
I am going to question whether it is a smart safety move to put metal posts sticking up out of the ground on a curve known for motorcycle crashes. :eek1

No doubt our government had something to do with it.

Image having a blow-out on the interstate and meeting a guard cable. :cry

http://modot.gov/southeast/documents/FAQ_Revised.pdf

An unprotected motorcyclist is not part of the standard to which these
systems are designed, so there is not a standardized crash test scenario
that we can refer to that would accurately predict the behavior in this type
of accident.

cardoctor1 10-30-2011 09:10 AM

what about those damn rumble strips . when trying to pulloff the highway

Blur 10-30-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardoctor1 (Post 17190325)

Oh .... I like to ride on those when my ass goes numb.

bwalsh 10-30-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatland964 (Post 17189862)
I am going to question whether it is a smart safety move to put metal posts sticking up out of the ground on a curve known for motorcycle crashes. :eek1

Better than landing on top of a guard rail with those steel "I" beams ready to tear you to shreds...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur (Post 17190452)
Oh .... I like to ride on those when my ass goes numb.

That sounds kinky! :lol3

Nice looking RT there manfromthestix! I really like the color.

TwilightZone 10-30-2011 09:52 AM

>"I am going to question whether it is a smart safety move to put metal posts sticking up out of the ground on a curve known for motorcycle crashes. :eek1"

With a 'throat-cutting' sign on top too...

DAKEZ 10-30-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur (Post 17189697)
Looks like Touratech Zega cases on the side with a Pelican case on top.

:nod

manfromthestix 10-30-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwalsh (Post 17190553)
Nice looking RT there manfromthestix! I really like the color.

I loved that bike and put a lot of happy miles on it. It's a 1997 1100RT in "Sinus blue" (???). When I made the plan to move to Virginia I had five bikes and sold all but my RT and GS before I moved. After two years in Virginia the RT wasn't getting ridden so I sold it to a friend and just ride the GS now. The GS is PERFECT for the roads out here since a lot of them transition from great asphalt to crappy asphalt to dirt and back as you ride from one area to the next. It was 45 degrees with fresh snow yesterday so I kinda missed the fairing... Time to start watching for sand and salt on the roads!

Doug

scmopar 10-30-2011 01:27 PM

I am going to question whether it is a smart safety move to put metal posts sticking up out of the ground on a curve known for motorcycle crashes. :eek1[/QUOTE]

helps with target fixation :evil

Offblnz 10-30-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 17176773)
Lewiston, ID. - Lolo, MT. No tight corners like the Dragon just hours of sweepers with good views and great Rocky Mountain Smells.

This sign only gets you to the top of the pass and you are already 40 miles in at this point then there is another 40 miles on the other side.

http://dakez.smugmug.com/Travel/ZooC..._2ZDwC-S-1.jpg

Ah, thanks.:thumb It even looks good from the satellite pic. I came back towards the East coast on 2 in '08. Wish I'd known about this one. Looks beautiful.

RecycledRS 10-30-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Hate rumble strips? Then you'll love this. While on a small trip around British Columbia this fall I noticed that the highways department has started to cut rumble strips in the center of two lane highways on double solid lines. Yes your not supposed to drive on double solid lines but if you happen to miss-judge a corner its bad enough trying to get traction on the painted surface without having the rumble strips trying to bounce the tire off the pavement!

I wonder what genius dreamed up this "improvement"???

DAKEZ 10-30-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecycledRS (Post 17193039)
Hate rumble strips? Then you'll love this. While on a small trip around British Columbia this fall I noticed that the highways department has started to cut rumble strips in the center of two lane highways on double solid lines. Yes your not supposed to drive on double solid lines but if you happen to miss-judge a corner its bad enough trying to get traction on the painted surface without having the rumble strips trying to bounce the tire off the pavement!

I wonder what genius dreamed up this "improvement"???

Don't ride on them.

Rumble strips saved my life one time when I foolishly rode tired and fell asleep.

They should be used MORE OFTEN IMO

DirtyOldMan 10-30-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Braille Driving.

lemieuxmc 10-30-2011 09:45 PM

I didn't notice any rumble strips on the IOM video...

I guess that the roads on IOM are just so much safer that they don't need em... yeah, that's the ticket!

gelandestrasse 10-31-2011 03:22 AM

Full Leathers

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1395/img4886is3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Schlug 10-31-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grackle (Post 17125148)
Finally, a product that answers the question "how can I protect my face from airborne debris, while still ensuring disfigurement in a crash?"

For a noob that was fucking hilarious. Well done.

I asked myself the same question-- what sort of injuries would result from landing on the face clamp?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:28 PM.