ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

Whitebread117 11-14-2011 04:51 AM

It's nowhere near as bad as it appears. Don't go at peak times (Saturday mid day for example) and it's a nice ride. You'll occasionally get stuck behind someone but for the most part folks are courteous and use the pulloffs. The nice thing about living here is you'll learn there's a TON of roads that are just as entertaining with zero traffic. I generally leave 129 to the tourists unless I just happen to be in the area at a low traffic time.

Beto 11-14-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread117 (Post 17300246)
It's nowhere near as bad as it appears. Don't go at peak times (Saturday mid day for example) and it's a nice ride. You'll occasionally get stuck behind someone but for the most part folks are courteous and use the pulloffs. The nice thing about living here is you'll learn there's a TON of roads that are just as entertaining with zero traffic. I generally leave 129 to the tourists unless I just happen to be in the area at a low traffic time.

+1. The road is a blast to ride and remember this is "Killboy FAILURE Dragon Fest" thread... My riding buddies and I rode it a couple of times in different occasions and never saw any accidents. Got startled a couple of times by oncoming sporties whizzing by. That can happen in any curvy roads... or in any road for that matter... sometimes we just don't know.... Killboy is not there taking pictures...

C-Stain 11-14-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 17281533)
Since I know fuck all about how to administer first aid/cpr or what ever the hell was needed at this scene, I imagine most folks would prefer that I shoot photos from afar instead of fucking someone up even more than they are with my hands on skills.

As a Paramedic, I'd prefer you sit on your hands if you don't know what to do with them. And sitting on your hands prevents you from using a fucking camera.

klaviator 11-14-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny rotten (Post 17300219)
I have never been to this place , and only started reading this thread,, Is this road really as dangerious as ot seems to me form the little I have read on this thread. I googled the road, says there is a 35 mph speed limit ,, are these folks going much faster that are in the "wreck pic's"
I plan to moving to NC.. not to sure if I will make any plans to ride this road. althou it dose look like a nice road , minus the fact it seems to me every one is crashing

I first rode through Deal.s Gap in 1990. At that time the speed limit was 40 MPH but it was irrelevant since there was almost no LEO presence. There was also far less traffic and it had net yet been named "the Dragon" by the T shirt vendors. Then it got famous, the speed limit was lowered to 30 MPH and LEOs started patrolling heavily. As for being a dangerous road, there are far more challenging roads in the area but they get far less traffic and don't have Killboy and other photographers there to document every crash. I know that the nearby Cherohala Skyway has had a number of fatal motorcycle accidents yet we don't have a "Cherohala failure" thread.

US 129 at Deal's Gap used to be one of my favorite roads. It still is when it is not clogged with slow moving traffic and LEOs. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find a time when it isn't crowded. Used to be you could go during the week and miss the traffic. Now, it can be crowded, and patrolled, almost any time. According to Killboy, it is sometimes more crowded during the week since riders are trying to avoid the weekend traffic.

I went to Deals Gap last March to ride it without the crowds. It wasn't too bad. I also rode some of the nearby roads. My ride report is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670468

As for Deal's Gap being too dangerous, You can't ride without some risk. I am far more concerned with it being too boring due to all the slow moving traffic,

GoGo Gadget 11-14-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie boy (Post 17298422)
Why is the chick on the far right wearing one of those skull balaclava things when its clearly warm enough for tank tops?:hmmmmm

At her boyfriends request. Butter Face. More useful than a paper bag.

DrLewall 11-14-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaviator (Post 17300404)
As for Deal's Gap being too dangerous, You can't ride without some risk. I am far core concerned with it being too boring due to all the slow moving traffic,

True..but you can manage your risks by minimizing them and one way would be is to STAY off the Dragon..but you ride the Dragon, you assume the risks!

DELTATANGO 11-14-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonBeamer (Post 17298937)
Ok.. So I started reading this post and found this embedded VID. Well I then proceed to see alot of comments on it.

Guess what. I am the one who was doing the video. The rider with the blinky light (BTW it doesn't blink when looking at it, my video camera does some crazy thing with the light and makes it look like that when in real life its solid to the nekid eye)

Ok. So as I am riding along and yes we are not going very fast as compared to other sporties on the road. I look back and I see the sport bike. Me and the wife had CB's so I tell her there is a sport bike behind us and to pull off at the next shoulder (For those not familiar there are several narrow pull offs on the dragon for this such occasion.) I slow down and get some distance between me and her as seen in the vid and then get right on the white line. Then proceed to wave him by as the pull off is just ahead. Instead of just sliding by me he SPEEDS by and then freaks out as another bike and a car is coming in the other lane and he locks up his rear and it skids into the ditch.

After pulling over and being grateful that he didn't hit my wife he stated that He didn't know she was going that slow. WTF dude. Pass with safety and you would have walked away un hurt and ready for another run.

His payment was a broke rear set some scratched and cracked plastic and possibly a broken Scapula since he could hardly use his left arm. His quote "I was just going to making ONE more run"

Well I guess we should have been going faster according to some and not according to others. And some think we shouldn't have even been on this road. :lol3:lol3:lol3 Its a public road and this is a free country.

Oh, The sporty wasn't following us very long. Maybe for three or for turns, before I slowed down to let him pass us.

Ok let the bashing begin, again, I think I will have a drink and be happy we are OK and hope that guy learned something, Cuz I did. :freaky

The pass was his responsibility.
He ran off the road and busted his ass.
He sure got up fast!:lol3

DAKEZ 11-14-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Stain (Post 17300403)
As a Paramedic, I'd prefer you sit on your hands if you don't know what to do with them. And sitting on your hands prevents you from using a fucking camera.

What is your issue with cameras/pictures?

JimVonBaden 11-14-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Why would you want someone not to help, and still not use a camera? Or am I reading this wrong?

Jim :brow

scooteraug02 11-14-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny rotten (Post 17300219)
I have never been to this place , and only started reading this thread,, Is this road really as dangerious as ot seems to me form the little I have read on this thread. I googled the road, says there is a 35 mph speed limit ,, are these folks going much faster that are in the "wreck pic's"
I plan to moving to NC.. not to sure if I will make any plans to ride this road. althou it dose look like a nice road , minus the fact it seems to me every one is crashing

The road is great as are all the roads near by. NC is full of great riding, see the Blue Ridge Parkway and all roads up and down BRP and Cherohala Skyway. Deals Gap just has a lot of hype and certain personalities go nuts when they get there. Harleys have a problem because past a certain lean angle the rear wheel is lifted off the ground.

First time I went up there was on a Monday. There was me and a few Gold Wings left over from a Gold Wing gathering. That's another problem, car clubs and motorcycle clubs have meets up there. People get excited and do stupid things.

Don't be afraid to go there. If it was closer I would ride it every day except weekends, well maybe weekends for entertainment.

Mulholland Drive in CA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VkalHQ6eRVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

klaviator 11-14-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLewall (Post 17300685)
True..but you can manage your risks by minimizing them and one way would be is to STAY off the Dragon..but you ride the Dragon, you assume the risks!

That is true. However, I seldom ride Deals Gap anymore but it is due to the boredom of the slow pace due to all the traffic, not because of fear.

JDLuke 11-14-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbolling (Post 17299094)
WTF is that on the back of the wing? I midget Shriner's bicycle?:eek1

Makeshift wheelie bar

Offcamber 11-14-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 17300720)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden (Post 17300941)
Why would you want someone not to help, and still not use a camera? Or am I reading this wrong?

Jim :brow

Glad the folks who rescued the rider stuck under the burning BMW didn't take this "sit on your hands" approach and wait for the rescue crew or that guy would have been well done. In this digital age there is always going to be someone with a camera.

Riteris 11-14-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 17300720)

Cameras are bad. Ask any cop near the airport or subway stop. Only terrorists carry cameras.

Riteris 11-14-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie boy (Post 17298422)
Why is the chick on the far right wearing one of those skull balaclava things when its clearly warm enough for tank tops?:hmmmmm

And why is the chick in the yellow tank top wearing yellow? Shouldn't she be wearing a black tank top?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.