ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

fullmonte 04-17-2009 08:19 AM

This must be one of those inmates who wandered too far from Starbucks. Stay the hell off of our roads if you can't grasp the concept of lane discipline.

Silver King 04-17-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Gordon
He's not the only one.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...W1060059&po=59

Look under touring bikes.

Here:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...06/advline.jpg

NitroRoo 04-17-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ
...Put him on a Ninjet 250 so he can learn to ride. He his going to kill someone.

Because riding a ninja 250 instantly improves your riding skills? :scratch

At the pace he's riding there's no reason to have crossed the center line... on a left hander too. Turning too tight by accident would be stupid, passing on a turn like that would be stupid, and a mistake like that can have dire consequences, I don't care what you ride.

On the other hand, we've all big mistakes while riding which could have really cost us (and for some of us, it did).

VFR_firefly 04-17-2009 08:28 AM

If this thread doesn't belong in "perfect line" then I don't know what does...

This is the classic example of a MUCH too early apex and has n00b written all over it.

If I were that rider going the other way I'd have my 139dB Stebel blasting his ass a wake-up call to get the F456 out of my lane. Yes, it does sound like a train or big truck is coming right at you when you push that horn button. It scares the crap out of me when I push the button and I'm ready for it. He can clean his pants out when he finds the side (the OTHER SIDE) of the road and stops.

When someone finds out who this is there should be a sticker-stripping party...
:eek1

Barry 04-17-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver King

Nothing wrong with this lane placement at all - turn in is off, he should be 30-40 degrees leftward of where he is pointing... You can see through the turn you are in, and into the next 1 (2?) turns???

The original photo shows a guy squeezing into the lane of an oncoming bike. Replace "bike" with "van" and you may have a dead idiot biker.

The dude is an asshat, and is one of the prime reasons I currently have 2 people that I call to go ride. Until proven a non-idiot, I assume other riders ride in a manner that puts them and me at risk. I've seen this proven to be true too many times.

Barry

Boon Booni 04-17-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry
Nothing wrong with this lane placement at all - turn in is off, he should be 30-40 degrees leftward of where he is pointing... You can see through the turn you are in, and into the next 1 (2?) turns???

The original photo shows a guy squeezing into the lane of an oncoming bike. Replace "bike" with "van" and you may have a dead idiot biker.

The dude is an asshat, and is one of the prime reasons I currently have 2 people that I call to go ride. Until proven a non-idiot, I assume other riders ride in a manner that puts them and me at risk. I've seen this proven to be true too many times.

Barry

I agree with you about crossing the line when site lines are good, but I think this photo is just the other side of the same curve as the first photo. It sure doesn't look like it's got good site lines all the way through. It would seem that to be where he is now, he'd have had to of ridden on the centerline through the bad visibility portion of the corner.

...but maybe not, perhaps he's late apexing once he can see the line..

Monday morning QB: off.

Barry 04-17-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps
I agree with you about crossing the line when site lines are good, but I think this photo is just the other side of the same curve as the first photo. It sure doesn't look like it's got good site lines all the way through. It would seem that to be where he is now, he'd have had to of ridden on the centerline through the bad visibility portion of the corner.

...but maybe not, perhaps he's late apexing once he can see the line..

Monday morning QB: off.

Yeah, will give you that. I assumed a straight coming to the left I commented on. If it was say a 180 degree or better turn, then yes, he was placed well into oncoming traffic he couldn't see.

Barry

2tallnwide 04-17-2009 08:47 AM

At least I understand why so many of you dress for the crash now....:thumb

bwringer 04-17-2009 10:31 AM

Last time I was on the Dragon, it was slathered in scowling THP cops. Several asshat idiots like this one had caused a couple of nasty wrecks that day. :fitz

So I decided to go über-balls-out in the corners... but resolved to only use the right-hand part of my lane. I wicked it up to maybe 34mph on the few "straights".

There were several spots I was cranking a monster lean angle at all of 25mph, right in front of a cop wearing his best Village People mirrored sunglasses meanie face.

It was actually a hell of a lot of fun and excellent practice. Without much of a "line" to choose from, I had to concentrate on the techniques required to simply deal with the road surface, contours, and curves at hand.

rmi03 04-17-2009 10:52 AM

Riding bikes, that are too big for your skill level, into oncoming traffic is adventurous spirit!

Ryan

CrustyAPO 04-17-2009 11:13 AM

Don't knock the Ninja 250. After 20 years on Honda V-Fours like the V-65 Magna, Sabre, ST1100 and ST1300 and finally the GSA, I picked up a 2004 Ninja 250 for $800. You can fling that bike around with the best of them. Nice thing is when a 600 blows by you in the straightaway, sure , he may beat you to the corner but he has to start braking for the corner sooner. That is when you can catch up to him (unless he's Ben Spies). On the 250 in the corners you can usually keep the throttle pinned and pass the bastard. The plus side, they are easy to maintain and repair, and don't break your budget if you toss it into a ditch or crack up at a track day.

NitroRoo 04-17-2009 11:39 AM

I don't think anyone was knocking the 250... maybe if you were coming into a corner too hot or the corner was tightening up more than expected - the 250 could help (light - easier to make last minute adjustments), but in this scenario, he's cornering too tight for whatever reason and I don't think the 250 would have helped... other than maybe what was said earlier - maybe he's intimidated by the bigger bike and the edge of the road.

PS I've been riding my ninja 250 for 2 years now and love it!

HighScore 04-17-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCQTT
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...T/img_9399.jpg

BTW, not me. Someone needs to brush up on those skills.

No excuse for that. That is how you get killed @ the Dragon.

There's no excuse for a lot of the stuff we all see out there.
Most of the time it's just from not paying attention, or letting your mind wander. Or just plain inexperience:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Apr21.html

"More Americans are riding motorcycles than ever as aging, affluent baby boomers recapture the "Easy Rider" dreams of their youth. In 2003, the median age of all motorcyclists in the United States was 41, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council. In 1985, the median age was 27."

I think everyone could benefit from a "refresher course"? (Myself included)
Just remember, the more stickers you have on your bike doesn't "make" you a better rider.

DAKEZ 04-17-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroRoo

PS I've been riding my ninja 250 for 2 years now and love it!

Sadly I am 6'5" and too damn big to enjoy one. :cry I think they are frickin' awesome little bikes. I recommend them often.

Sam Buca 04-17-2009 01:55 PM

You guys sound as if you never ever made a riding mistake before. I is just that this guy was caught.
I know that my mind somethimes wander, and when I wake up, I have blown a corner or something like that. It does not happen often, but i have to admit that it does.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 AM.