ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

lemieuxmc 12-13-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 17506920)
I'm not sure I buy that hanging off changes the amount of traction you have unless you leverage a tire off the ground. It would seem that the contact patch doesn't change in size, so the amount of rubber on the road doesn't change, so why would traction change? Whether or not you're hanging off its the same force vector from the COG to the contact patch as long as you keep the rubber on the road.

Got any reading on this?

Ding, Ding, Ding... we have a winner!

Beto 12-13-2011 10:18 AM

Poser....

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...38757234_n.jpg

IheartmyNx 12-13-2011 10:21 AM

lol, looks like skid lids are in-season...

Beto 12-13-2011 10:21 AM

Poser...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...55417307_n.jpg

bwalsh 12-13-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 17503638)
"without taking lessons how would you learn how to correctly hang off a bike for advanced cornering?"

Lessons? Lessons!

Where did Hailwood take lessons?

Ago?

Kenny Roberts?

Eddie Lawson?

Joey Dunlop?

Rossi?

Jenna Jameson?

You just start doing it, and thinking about it, and doing it some more, and eventually some people get really good at it, and some people don't (they often wind up in this thread!).

When I was a shop teacher I never claimed that I was very good at it, just that I was providing some basic information and an environment for the students to develop their talents on the taxpayers dime.

Have you ever heard the term "track day"? Your just being difficult now correct? I say that because of this post and your cheap shot at outlaws justice a few posts(pages now) up. Have a bad day?:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromer (Post 17503767)
In the minor classes. By wadding up bikes into pretzel shapes and then saying "Huh. Well THAT didn't work..."

When the replacement pretzels come out of your own pocket it becomes cheaper to pick up the established basics through lessons. Granted, you'll never discover the next revolutionary riding technique this way, but it at least gets you started.

Something about intentionally making pretzel shapes goes here...

lemieuxmc is too damn good to need any steenkin lessons for anything! We should be asking him for advise for anything from motorcycles to Rocket science.

wiseblood 12-13-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlaws justice (Post 17506842)
Who said anything about riding 10/10ths? Practicing good form and using techniques that allow you more traction in reserve in case you need it is just good and responsible riding practice. If I do not hang off and am leaned over I might be using 75 percent of my traction. Same corner and same speed, hanging off, I might be using 50 percent of my traction. Which would be better if you had something happen in front of you?

:nod

Also, it is my opinion that good technique should be USED every day on every ride -- even my commute to work. I try very consciously to make it instinctual -- because in a panic, people do what they know. So, it is not an "affectation" if I move my body to the inside of the 180 degree hairpin before the on-ramp on my way to work.

Note: I also habitually use turn signals -- even if nobody is around. :1drink

bwalsh 12-13-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlaws justice (Post 17506717)

Truly you should have known........

:augie

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 17506922)
I didn't know...

What is the world coming to?

bwalsh 12-13-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 17506935)
Ding, Ding, Ding... we have a winner!

Still doesn't change the fact that hanging off the bike keeps the bike at a more upright position and thus keeps hard parts off the asphalt.:deal

Truly you should have known...

IheartmyNx 12-13-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto (Post 17507112)
Poser...

I didn't know Barcaloungers could kill flies that high....

outlaws justice 12-13-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 17506920)
I'm not sure I buy that hanging off changes the amount of traction you have unless you leverage a tire off the ground. It would seem that the contact patch doesn't change in size, so the amount of rubber on the road doesn't change, so why would traction change? Whether or not you're hanging off its the same force vector from the COG to the contact patch as long as you keep the rubber on the road.

Got any reading on this?

You are forgetting about lateral forces and it is those forces that effect traction and our ability to maintain traction and control.

Beto 12-13-2011 11:29 AM

Poser???...

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/55/33...4/IMG_7355.jpg

outlaws justice 12-13-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwalsh (Post 17507297)
Still doesn't change the fact that hanging off the bike keeps the bike at a more upright position and thus keeps hard parts off the asphalt.:deal

Truly you should have known...

Ding Ding Ding..... a winner!

DAKEZ 12-13-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto (Post 17507090)

Santa rides a Springer in the off season? :huh Who Knew? :lol3

outlaws justice 12-13-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiseblood (Post 17507196)

Also, it is my opinion that good technique should be USED every day on every ride -- even my commute to work. I try very consciously to make it instinctual -- because in a panic, people do what they know. So, it is not an "affectation" if I move my body to the inside of the 180 degree hairpin before the on-ramp on my way to work.

Note: I also habitually use turn signals -- even if nobody is around. :1drink

And this is SO TRUE. Making your actions become second nature, so you don't have to think about it, just do it, Like walking. We get up and walk to the door, we do not think about putting one foot in front of the other.

DAKEZ 12-13-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiseblood (Post 17507196)

Also, it is my opinion that good technique should be USED every day on every ride -- even my commute to work.

:clap Another 98%'r WOOT!!!!

(You may not subscribe to my theory but I am confident that it applies…)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:03 AM.