ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

geg 01-05-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougZ73 (Post 17671251)
Semantics. The track edumacation I have gotten simple calls that " tightening the line, by scrubing off some speed with rear brake".

You are correct that sport bikes and cruisers are very different in their geometries and therefore the way the brakes can be best used.

personally I think braking into a corner on the street (in my opinion) indicates improper corner entry speed judgement. <- if you find yourself doing it all the time....

should you be able to apply brakes while leaned over & not lose control? yup I think so. should it be your riding style of choice to always do it that way? I don't think so (personal opinion again)

but hey.. that's just my opinion. on the track it's different, you're shooting for a win, or a pass or better lap times.

:wink:

Beto 01-05-2012 11:45 AM

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/7004...0_67uGE-XL.jpg

DAKEZ 01-05-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geg (Post 17671500)
personally I think braking into a corner on the street (in my opinion) indicates improper corner entry speed judgement.:snore <- if you find yourself doing it all the time....

:huh You do know that riding is supposed to be FUN right?

IMO not only should you be doing it... You should be doing it about 90% of the time.

geg 01-05-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 17671818)
:huh You do know that riding is supposed to be FUN right?

IMO not only should you be doing it... You should be doing it about 90% of the time.

yeah I agree it's fun!
I think maybe I misstated that. what I was indicating was get the slowing done early, then rolling on throttle all the way through corner.... rather than braking all the way to the apex just to roll on for the last bit.

capisce?

lemieuxmc 01-05-2012 12:13 PM

I'm often on the brakes when rolling into a corner, until I know it's safe to accelerate out of the thing.

Should you find something unexpected in the corner, the bike is already settled if you have to brake harder to work around the situation.

GB 01-05-2012 12:15 PM

If I was the rider below and my pillion did this when I wasn't expecting it, I'd be mightily pissed... It happened to me a couple of times when riding 2 up and it upset the balance of the bike, when I was leaned way over..... (I told my passenger to never lean beyond my torso...)

What is the collective's experience with this sort of thing? :ear and while rambling here, what is the logic of half ATGATT? :lol3 If you low side, the first point of impact is your legs, as clearly illustrated by the photo below!
(Ya, i know. more pics, less talk!)

:lurk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto (Post 17671656)

uraberg 01-05-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 17669621)
I find that turning the handlebars is the most effective way to change direction.:norton

Question still remains: Which way to turn them... :evil

geg 01-05-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 17671857)
I'm often on the brakes when rolling into a corner, until I know it's safe to accelerate out of the thing.

Should you find something unexpected in the corner, the bike is already settled if you have to brake harder to work around the situation.

fair point.
well said

uraberg 01-05-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 17671865)
If I was the rider below and my pillion did this when I wasn't expecting it, I'd be mightily pissed... It happened to me a couple of times when riding 2 up and it upset the balance of the bike, when I was leaned way over..... (I told my passenger to never lean beyond my torso...)

What is the collective's experience with this sort of thing? :ear and while rambling here, what is the logic of half ATGATT? :lol3 If you low side, the first point of impact is your legs, as clearly illustrated by the photo below!

Looking at the pic, it seems the rider is actually compensating for her lean...

klaviator 01-05-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 17671865)

I once rode with a guy on a CBR900RR who had his 12 year old son (in full leathers) on the back. His son hung off on the inside going every curve. It was cool watching them haul ass around the curves. It worked well for him but then he was expecting it.

kraven 01-05-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

what is the logic of half ATGATT?
HaTGATT? :rofl

Maybe it was a slow week on the pole for her?

tbirdsp 01-05-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto (Post 17671656)

This would be way cooler with titanium fingertips...

dwoodward 01-05-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing (Post 17659260)
I would have never guessed that this thread would have turned into a CPS and ASPCA discussion. :huh

Well, oil, tires, lines, and hanging off have been :dhorse for a while now.

I think spousal abuse is up next, then legalizing pot.

:hide

TrashCan 01-05-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 17672130)

then legalizing pot.

:hide

I concur with Mr dwoodward.

:lol3

GB 01-05-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraberg (Post 17671913)
Looking at the pic, it seems the rider is actually compensating for her lean...

if you look closely at the rider's helmet, there's a portion of a communicator antenna showing.. so he may have known she's going to lean beyond him...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:48 PM.