ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

ibafran 01-07-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kbetts (Post 17685988)
The problem with these pictures is that we only get a hint of what's going on. The rider might be in the process of hanging off and the picture only captured the beginning.

There is also the fact that BMW's ride different than other bikes (Telalever came about due to sever shaft-jacking). My old Boxer required very smooth inputs and I always maintained you can always tell a BMW rider by the way he sits on the Bike.

Anyway, IMO a BMW rider can't be held to the same criteria as other riders due to the demands of the bike.

Body position needs to be set up well in advance of the corner. Thus I take the pic to be the body position intended for the turn. Bike is already leaned over so rider is in position as far as I can tell..

Hmmmm? My understanding is the Tele-lever was necessary to control the front end due to the severities induced by the first generation ABS. Telescopics did not do the kind of job that the factory engineers wanted for their ABS. The stop-start brake action of ABS caused too much flex and too much harmonic in tele-forks to let the ABS work well. Also, the design helped keep the front end from nose-diving at hard braking. Shaft-jacking was somewhat controled by some sort of "Para-lever"(?) drag link, iirc?

"Anyway, IMO a BMW rider can't be held to the same criteria as other riders due to the demands of the bike." Thanx for the laugh. That was great. That KILLS. I am going to use it on all my beemer budds. This forum never lets me down. Priceless. Thank doG that you didn't include a follow-up line as I would have spewed coffee on my keyboard thru my nose. As it was, you nearly had me with just that one. Sorry, I can't find an emoticon that is laughing while wiping tears from its eyes. Good one. Might be a good sig line for some of us. This one is so good as to make me wonder why I don't collect these sayings? If there is a collection of these in Jo Mama, somebody add this one, please. Thanx again. I luv ya for that one. And I have got the rest of saturday to look forward to.

Barry 01-07-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mambo Dave (Post 17685332)
That would be the theory / case if the rider wasn't crossed-up, which is what I believe PT is referring to.

Before PT Rider mentioned it I was taking a good look at the very same in that photo. I was trying to determine if it's a funtion of the seating position and wide bars that are making him do that, or if it's as PT suggests - that the rider isn't really putting his body off like he should. One comment, though - PT suggests that it takes training, where-as I wasn't trained to do it, it was just an end-product to doing what I had to at the race track (with a ZX-7R) and some roads to corner and get the max out of the bike. Some people ride crossed-up, some don't, and I guess some need training to avoid it and some don't. I guess it's also safe to say that some people don't know what crossed-up leaning even is?

Agree... if his head shoulders were further inboard of his hips, the bike would be more upright. They aren't so my guess is the overall angle of the bike is unchanged from no hanging off to the hanging off you see, which is having zero positive effect far as I understand.

Barry

Dave in Wi 01-07-2012 07:39 AM

I just heard about this... Hopefully it will be the end of pictures like this:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/photo.../cal2_0903.jpg

"BULLETIN: North Carolina has done what Tennessee won't do ...... ban trucks heading to the DRAGON. It is now illegal for trucks longer than 30 feet to operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line. They are also banned on NC 28 from NC 143 all the way to US 129. Also on the ban list is the entire Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina.

New signage will be erected to advise of the Restrictive Routes."

klaviator 01-07-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto (Post 17682537)
I see an inmate here...

http://i52.tinypic.com/30sud0i.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry (Post 17686389)
Agree... if his head shoulders were further inboard of his hips, the bike would be more upright. They aren't so my guess is the overall angle of the bike is unchanged from no hanging off to the hanging off you see, which is having zero positive effect far as I understand.

Barry

His body is to the right of the centerline of the bike so he is keeping the bike more upright. What makes this picture misleading is that his head tilted to the left to keep it level with the horizon. It doesn't look like this slight shift would make a big difference but when you look at how close he is to dragging hard parts, even 1 degree makes a difference.

stk0308 01-07-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarhack (Post 17684336)
What kind of tires is he running?

The rear looks kinda like a Dunlop D402. The standard 16" tire for most HD models for, like, forever.

1911fan 01-07-2012 08:27 AM

Yeah, but what kind of oil is he running? :D

1911fan

Wingfixer 01-07-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFFOG (Post 17625612)
Some are so busy getting their panties bunched up, they missed the news!

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

No more trucks N bound!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap :clap:clap

Florida Lime 01-07-2012 03:01 PM

I'm all for no trucks over 30' from the dam north through the gap, but not allowing any bigger trucks into Robbinsville AT ALL, not even from19/74 is getting harsh. :huh

I see higher prices in town coming. I haven't seen many gasoline tanker trucks under 30' !

guitarhack 01-07-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911fan (Post 17686990)
Yeah, but what kind of oil is he running? :D

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

TrashCan 01-07-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florida Lime (Post 17689653)
I'm all for no trucks over 30' from the dam north through the gap, but not allowing any bigger trucks into Robbinsville AT ALL, not even from19/74 is getting harsh. :huh

I see higher prices in town coming. I haven't seen many gasoline tanker trucks under 30' !

Delivery trucks=OK
Thru trucks=NO

Florida Lime 01-07-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashCan (Post 17689749)
Delivery trucks=OK
Thru trucks=NO

BULLETIN: North Carolina has done what Tennessee won't do ...... ban trucks heading to the DRAGON. It is now illegal for trucks longer than 30 feet to operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line. They are also banned on NC 28 from NC 143 all the way to US 129. Also on the ban list is the entire Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina.
New signage will be erected to advise of the Restrictive Routes.

That doesn't say anything about delivery vs. thru, but hopefully you are right.....

Land 01-07-2012 03:38 PM

Trucks over 30' will be able to get to Robbinsville by taking 28 to 143 and 143 into town. They aren't banned on 143.

Chris

390beretta 01-07-2012 04:10 PM

Guys, I have to say I am puzzled by the number of responses etc. relative to this thread. I certainly understand the thrill of riding, challenging roads/curves, etc. Although, at my current age, I do it more conservatively. Given the number of tragedies associated with this kind of riding, ( because of the uncontrolled environment) frankly, what the hell is the attraction? Couldn't those so inclined get a lot more bang for their buck on a "track day" course?

Having said that, I know there is some "mystique" (kind of like "Sturgis", which nowadays is full of "posers" of the worst kind) associated with this and for those who want/need to be photographed doing what we all do, why not have a friend do it, or whatever?

OK, give me your worst!:D

MacNoob 01-07-2012 04:33 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5vFxXLtsw6...0/img_7725.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megamoto (Post 17685868)
What has he written on the screen?

"Note to self: Left lever CLUTCH. Right lever BRAKE."

TrashCan 01-07-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 390beretta (Post 17690160)
Guys, I have to say I am puzzled by the number of responses etc. relative to this thread. I certainly understand the thrill of riding, challenging roads/curves, etc. Although, at my current age, I do it more conservatively. Given the number of tragedies associated with this kind of riding, ( because of the uncontrolled environment) frankly, what the hell is the attraction? Couldn't those so inclined get a lot more bang for their buck on a "track day" course?

Having said that, I know there is some "mystique" (kind of like "Sturgis", which nowadays is full of "posers" of the worst kind) associated with this and for those who want/need to be photographed doing what we all do, why not have a friend do it, or whatever?

OK, give me your worst!:D

No side roads. No houses. The only thing uncontrolled is the right hand!!!

If you lived 40 miles from there, why would you not ride this road???

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8...0/105_0291.JPG

Only 2 bikes at the store.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:49 AM.